1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Craig Biggio hypothetical.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Zac D, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

I am interested in how much you all value Craig Biggio's contributions to the Astros over the years.

Here's the scenario. Endowed with God-like powers, you have been granted the ability to trade Craig Biggio's entire career, past and present, for Chase Utley of right now, who will play for the Astros this year and until such time as he becomes a free agent or is traded.

Would you do it?

You're trading away not only Craig of this year, remember. You're trading the Astros cap with which he'll go into the Hall of Fame; the MVP-caliber play he provided in the '90s; his contribution to division- and pennant-winning clubs; and his unquestionable loyalty to the franchise, duplicated by few players in the game today.

But you're getting arguably the best second baseman in the game, and you're getting him for this year's team. If you can hold onto him, this 28-year-old may just enter the Hall as an Astro in the future. And while you're losing Craig's decisive contribution to several playoff clubs, you're not losing a championship. Maybe Chase can help bring you what Craig could not.

What say you, citizens?

2. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

and give up 3000 hits, 1700 runs, 260ish home runs, 1000+ rbi... no.

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

Not saying he can't or won't do it, but Utley would be lucky to end up with a career like Biggio's.

I say no, especially not knowing whether a) He will end up a HOF caliber 2nd baseman and b) whether he would stay with the Stros the rest of his career.

4. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

A resounding no.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

wait what? So you're trading the past? I don't know how you do that, do we get an alternate universe replacement past? Can we do something about Mike James for Alston?

6. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Wow, this is just weird. I'm in the wrong mood to be trading players past. Do I still get the memories?

7. Zac D

You get only memories of Craig Biggio doing his thing in another uniform.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

There isn't a single Astros fan that voted for or ever would vote for Utley over Bidge.

9. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I'm still confused, but I think I'm going to decline. Should have never quit doing drugs. Then I'd understand threads like this.

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

no, but rocketfat would.

11. Zac D

I admit to being curious to see.

Refman, BrieflySpeaking, raw10628 - you appear to be the extent of the minority so far - any defenses of your positions?

12. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Baseball is all about history. You'd be giving up some of the little memorable history this club has. So NO NO NO NO NO.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Craig Biggio is the savior of baseball in Houston. My Astros would be playing in freaking Northern Virginia right now were it not for him.

Chase can kiss my utley. Chase dreams of being Craig Biggio.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I have loved watching Biggio play, and felt every bit of his dissappointment in not winning the World Series.

But it has been a privilidge to have him on "MY" Astros. He has played the game the right way for more than 20 years, and it is for that reason that I am happily watching him pursue 3000 hits even though I believe he is clearly not as good as 2 or 3 others on the team at his position.

He has earned this time on the field by all the sacrifices he made for the organization all through the years....Catcher to 2b, to OF, back to 2b.....

Never complained.

I am going to miss him when he is done !!

I am proud to be a Biggio fan.

DD

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

The short answer is NO, but... that's a loaded question, man. :(

16. Buck Turgidson

Zobrist? Damn.

Hunter Pence is very angry with you right now. You will not like him when he's angry.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i totally forgot zobrist!

ok, after zobrist, biggio was really important.

18. Phil

Phil Contributing Member

Hell no. I don't even know why a question like this would be raised...and this is coming from someone who thinks highly of Chase Utley.

19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Hello.

Wait, I mean hell no! HELL NO!