1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A couple of ideas for our team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by UT Baller, Aug 8, 2000.

1. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

With every day that passes I get a little more worried that the Rockets are just going to leave this team alone. Not that we have a bad team, but we dont have the players to compete with the Lakers and now Heats of this league. We have the only excepton in the league, I believe, but I have yet to hear anything about what we plan to do with it. Another thread says that we might let it expire to have more cap room next year, but beside Webber there is not a player there that would be much of an improvement. The past has shown us to be willing to make big moves, well now we need to do so more than ever.
    Barring a vast improvement over the offseason by Cato or Thomas we have no threat in the post at all. I love the Dream, but even if he was back in form he is only here for a farewell tour (ok, if he was in old form watch out LA). We desperately need help if we want to contend any time soon in my opinion. With Stevie and Co. we are good enough to be a middle of the pack team, just good enough not to be a top 5 in the lottery but not even in the same galaxy as the Lakers and Spurs.
    Needs: 1)a 3 who can put the ball on the floor and in the hole and 2)a 4 who can set a nasty screen, play D, and hit the boards. It seems to me that LAC have a couple of players that meet 1 (Odom, Maggette, Nesby, Miles, Richardson) and Detroit has a few players who fit 2 (Williams, Vaught). Could anybody here come up with some info as to whether we have even communicated with these teams? If we do not deal now, we are losing a grand opportunity to swing some deals(the exception that everybody wants).
    I really think that a team of Francis, SA, Maggette, J.Williams, Olajuwon with Cato, Cat, 'Los, KT, Moochie, Langhi and Collier off the bench could win a lot of games. I guess I live in a dreamworld where Drew, WW, the exception and maybe some pix could net us these guys. What do y'all think?

------------------

2. alaskansnowman

"1)a 3 who can put the ball on the floor and in the hole "

DAN LANGHI!! Sure, he is really unproven at this point, but he does have some skills definately. And his no nonsense attitude is a plus too. Langhi can become that small forward which u described.

"Not that we have a bad team, but we dont have the players to compete with the Lakers and now Heats of this league. "

You're right, but I dont think this team really plans on winning a championship this year. We plan on trying to win as much as possible and just make it to the playoffs and hopefully advance to the second round. It'd be cool if we could do more, but honestly, I dont think Rudy has his sights on the championship as strongly as say the Heat or Lakers do.

I remember somebody credible on this board saying that the Rox were only gonna use their exception on a stud power forward. I would like to see jerome williams on the team, but we might be better off just saving our exception. I think someone said if we dont use the exception, then we'll have 4.5 million extra in salary cap or something like that.

------------------
    president of the dan langhi fan club.

3. PhatMatt

PhatMatt New Member

You know every summer Houston manages to make a blockbuster trade for a great player. I'm not worried about it.

UT Baller -- are you T. Thompson?

4. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

Matt-Well your right about who I am, I hope you are right about Rudy and CD pulling the trigger for a player this summer.

Nike-I would love to have Williams and Laettner, the former is a glass cleaner while Christian has been my hero since "the shot". I think that both would fit in here rather well as a tenacious/finesse combo at the 4.

Alaska-I hope that Langhi is what you say, what do you think of Boozer from Duke? Have you seen him play much? I know that we dont want to content for a ring this season, but how much better will these players get?

------------------

5. alaskansnowman

UTBALLA: "what do you think of Boozer from Duke? Have you seen him play much? I know that we dont want to content for a ring this season, but how much better will these players get? "

I've seen Boozer play once or twice and he seemed pretty good, but if Langhi lives up to the promise, we wont need Booza. Damn thats a cool name!

Our main objective this season is to get some playoff experience, and hopefully add some key player/players to this team. With all the other blockbuster trades, we were a veteran team in search of maybe one more component to win, and our window of opportunity was starting to close. But now, our window of opportunity is just starting to open, so we dont have to add this key piece this season. Although, it'd be nice to do all this at once, we shouldnt need to do anythin really drastic. I say, let this team grow, develop, and wait to see what happens. If there's a nice trade opportunity, then jump on it, but dont trade away the whole team. [​IMG]

------------------
    president of the dan langhi fan club.

[This message has been edited by alaskansnowman (edited August 08, 2000).]

6. Bruno

Bruno Member

Sports is about winning it all--not coming a close second. In the past, the Rockets have not been shy about pulling a blockbuster deal. Drexler, Barkley, Pippen. However, only one of the three deals yielded a championship. The other two not even a close second. I don't think the time is right this season to pull a blockbuster deal. let the team gel this year and then perhaps next year go for it.

------------------

7. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

In related news, Booza ignored his eligibility to accept the Republican nomination last week.

------------------
    "At one of these governors' conferences, George [W. Bush] turns to me and says: 'What are they talking about?' I said: 'I don't know.' He said: 'You don't know anything, do you?' And I said: 'Not one thing.' [Bush] said: 'Neither do I.' And we kind of high-fived."
    --Republican Gov. Gary Johnson of New Mexico shares a verbal exchange that took place between he and George W. Bush.

(Quote is from the Los Angeles Times, 5/31/00)
    Dubyah Speaks

8. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

In related news, Booza ignored his eligibility to accept the Republican nomination last week.

------------------
    "At one of these governors' conferences, George [W. Bush] turns to me and says: 'What are they talking about?' I said: 'I don't know.' He said: 'You don't know anything, do you?' And I said: 'Not one thing.' [Bush] said: 'Neither do I.' And we kind of high-fived."
    --Republican Gov. Gary Johnson of New Mexico shares a verbal exchange that took place between he and George W. Bush.

(Quote is from the Los Angeles Times, 5/31/00)
    Dubyah Speaks

9. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

As I understand it, and I'm no capologist, the exception would allow us to receive 4.4 mil more in trade than we give away. That allows the team we trade with to get rid of 4.4 mil in salary with the trade. Whatever we receive in the trade will count against the cap next year. If we can't get get someone really good, why do we want more salary next year? That's why we might let the exception expire, and rightly so. We should not use the exception just to be using it.

------------------

10. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

The only way I'd use the 4.4 million exception is on a guy with 1 year left on his contract.

------------------
    Who's ya daddy?

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the exception is used, it will probably be for a superstar (such as some strange luck of Rasheed being available, or other star big man with youth/athletcism), a role-playing guy off the bench (like Feick or Jerome Williams) or in conjunction with a player with a large contract (read: Walt Williams and/or Carlos Rogers) to be traded for a player in the last year of his even larger contract (a la Laettner) to clear even more space in free agency, or to get more draft picks, or in a "all or nothing deal" where we get a very good/semi-star player, along with an overpriced bench player. Just my thoughts on it [​IMG]

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

12. Miggidy Markell

Why wait?

------------------
    Miggidy Markell says:

1. Eastcoast is da sh*t
    2. Rockets rule
    3. Hip/Hop is dope
    4. Buy the new Ruff Ryders album!

Miggidy Markell is watching
    Stay STRAPPED & WATCH ya back or be Assimilated.