1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A box score that will live in infamy

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by SamCassell, Feb 9, 2002.

1. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Hey Cat,

I have a question about rushing players up. I've heard Haven say (I think) that you shouldn't necessarily push a player up because the screen says 'mr x is ready for AAA.' I don't want to ruin a prospect, but I have been trying the last couple of years to turnover the team I got so I could build a team myself (which I figured is the point), and I have been bringing some guys up to the majors to see if they could play (like B parsons who was 24-SP). He's now back in the minors and I'd hate to think I screwed him up. Is there a general threshold of age that you cross where its ok to push a player up to the majors?

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I think ratings mean more than age. The most important thing to track, imho, is the hits rating on the ratings page. All five ratings are important, but avoiding hits is the most crucial when you're talking about a rookies success. If he can't avoid giving up hits, you're probably looking at him giving up eight runs in a couple of innings, like a lot of rookie pitchers. I'd wait until he gets a 4 in hits to bring him up, and a 5 if you can afford to wait. Some people look at the ERA rating instead of hits, but ERA is a composite of the other factors. If the player's other ratings are solid, his ERA should go up with experience (minor league or major league) You should also track his hits allowed/ERA in the minor leagues... even if his ratings are fabulous, it's doubtful the player will do well in the majors if his AAA ERA isn't that great. (see Parsons 5.02)

In general, calling up someone like Parsons won't hurt... he's 24, and has a 4 in hits. I don't think bringing him up would hurt your development-- I just wouldn't rush him until he can get that 5. He should get to 5 regardless if he plays in AAA or the majors, but I think right now with a 4 in hits, Ks, etc. and a 2 in ERA, he wouldn't do well in the majors. At his age and rating he's going to develop, but unless you need him in the majors right now it's best to let him stay in AAA cause he won't do that well in the majors with his current ratings. Of course, you could let him pitch in the big leagues until he develops, but that would be essentially blowing games for the purpose of his development, which could just as easily be done in AAA.

My problem with Nomar was that he had Hobbs pitching in the majors when he was 18 years old, and his ratings were 0-0-2-2-3. When a player is that undeveloped, he needs to be in A ball, and placing him in the majors that early will make little to no effect on his rating. Thus, Hobbs had the same ratings when he was 20 as he did in the draft at 18. He's progressing right now, but doing what Nomar did essentially pushed back his development two years, and took about that much time away from his pitching career.

3. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

OK, that helps a lot. Thanks. :)

4. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Holy crap! I've gotten a promotion!

And all along I thought I was just a mindless flunky of BGM who had been convinced by BGM to disagree with you on everything you say. After all, BGM is "good with words".

But now I'm a ringleader with cronies, man Nomar, you really know how to flatter a person.

Oh, your team is still horrendous, you've yet to build even a bad team, much less a championship team.

You know what, I'm going to issue a challenge. Since you're such a fantastic GM, I'm sure you'll have no problem embarassing me and proving me wrong.

The Detriot Tigers are in my division, you take any three players you want from the Red Sox, and I know you still couldn't make the Tigers(with a similar revenue stream to mine) better than my Crawdads.

5. Nomar

Nomar Member

Yeah, I'm really just going to give up a team I've spent a whole ****load of time on. :rolleyes:

Plus, I like my revenue. If you wanted to do something like this, you shouldn't have left the Yankees.

6. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

(Name W L PCT GB AVG ERA)
    Detroit 58 79 .423 33 .283 6.18
    Boston 49 88 .358 37 .251 7.75

Your dedication to the Red Sox is apparent.

That's ok, I understand why you wouldn't take my challenge, I'd hate to be embarassed after talking all that noise too. You must excuse me if I find it a little puzzling in some ways, after all, my team is only average, and will only be average, you said so yourself, and there are few better judges of talent in this game than you Nomar. I mean, it shouldn't be hard to come into the Central Division, and make those Detroit Tigers better than average, especially since I'm letting you take three players from your Championship talent calibur Boston Red Sox. And it shouldn't take long, seeing as how you are such a good GM to embarass me by making the Tigers better than the Crawdads for a few years. Then you can go right back to managing the Red Sox.

The challenge still stands, though I won't be holding my breath.

#46 Puedlfor, Feb 18, 2002
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2002
  7. Nomar

Nomar Member

I'm glad that you won't hold your breath. If you do that too much, it could kill brain cells.

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Sorry SF3, it's time to bring this to the top again. :(
    http://www2.bc.edu/~mendola/ccnet/box1414.htm

Game No.: 1414.
    7/25/2010:
    Seattle at New Orleans

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 R H E
    Seattle 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 2
    New Orleans 7 0 0 0 9 9 15 14 X 54 46 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seattle AB R H BI BB K AVG
    D. Stover 2B 4 0 0 0 0 1 .265
    T. Crosby RF 4 0 1 0 0 1 .267
    L. Stover CF 4 0 0 0 0 1 .218
    C. Belford 1B 4 0 1 0 0 0 .249
    S. Sackett DH 1 0 0 0 2 0 .282
    J. Loos SS 3 0 0 0 0 1 .252
    B. Madson LF 3 0 0 0 0 1 .279
    C. Stmartin C 3 0 0 0 0 2 .289
    S. Darby 3B 3 0 0 0 0 0 .241

Totals: 29 0 2 0 2 7

BATTING:
    Doubles:
    C. Belford (16, 7th inning off Wright, 0 on, 1 out.)

Stolen Bases:
    B. Madson (9)

Caught Stealing:
    T. Crosby (12)

FIELDING:
    Errors:
    R. Black (3), S. Darby (11)

New Orleans AB R H BI BB K AVG
    J. Lopez RF 8 8 7 7 1 0 .354
    J. Lane LF 8 7 6 8 2 1 .360
    F. Gonzalez CF 7 6 5 6 3 1 .375
    B. Fullmer 1B 8 5 5 10 1 1 .281
    H. Monroe SS 10 7 7 5 0 0 .322
    A. Ramirez 3B 6 6 3 6 3 2 .296
    S. Savory DH 5 6 4 4 3 0 .225
    J. House C 8 3 4 5 0 3 .261
    E. Wilson 2B 8 6 5 2 0 0 .289

Totals: 68 54 46 53 13 8

BATTING:
    Doubles:
    J. Lopez (27, 5th inning off Aramboles, 2 on, 1 out.) F. Gonzalez 2 (17,
    2nd inning off Aybar, 0 on, 0 out, 8th inning off Goetz, 2 on, 2 out.) B.
    Fullmer (19, 1st inning off Heinsohn, 3 on, 0 out.) H. Monroe 2 (20, 1st
    inning off Heinsohn, 2 on, 0 out, 5th inning off Aramboles, 1 on, 1 out.)
    A. Ramirez (27, 7th inning off Goetz, 1 on, 0 out.) S. Savory (16, 7th inning
    off Goetz, 1 on, 0 out.) J. House (27, 1st inning off Aybar, 1 on, 0 out.)
    Triples:
    H. Monroe (4, 7th inning off Goetz, 0 on, 0 out.)
    Homeruns:
    J. Lane (20, 7th inning off Goetz, 2 on, 1 out.) B. Fullmer 2 (28, 6th inning
    off Goetz, 1 on, 0 out, 8th inning off Goetz, 1 on, 2 out.) A. Ramirez 2
    (24, 1st inning off Heinsohn, 1 on, 0 out, 5th inning off Black, 1 on, 0
    out.) J. House (19, 7th inning off Goetz, 1 on, 0 out.) E. Wilson (3, 7th
    inning off Goetz, 0 on, 0 out.)

Runs Batted In:
    J. Lopez 7 (59), J. Lane 8 (70), F. Gonzalez 6 (65), B. Fullmer 10 (112)
    H. Monroe 5 (73), A. Ramirez 6 (69), S. Savory 4 (64), J. House 5 (67)
    E. Wilson 2 (42)

Stolen Bases:
    J. Lane 3 (25), F. Gonzalez 3 (30), H. Monroe (20)

Sacrifice Flies:
    J. Lopez (4), B. Fullmer (8), S. Savory (3), J. House (4)

FIELDING:
    Errors:
    H. Monroe (23)

PITCHING:

Seattle IP H R ER BB K PI PS ERA RECORD
    C. Heinsohn L 0 5 6 6 1 0 19 11 9.68 0-11
    M. Aybar 1.1 3 1 1 0 1 25 17 5.81
    R. Black 2.2 2 3 2 0 2 45 25 8.07
    R. Aramboles 0.1 5 6 6 1 1 23 13 11.38
    G. Goetz 3.2 31 38 38 11 4 201 98 13.28

New Orleans IP H R ER BB K PI PS ERA RECORD
    J. Wright W 7.2 2 0 0 2 5 104 55 7.02 5-7
    J. Fogg 1.1 0 0 0 0 2 12 9 3.96

Time: 5:07
    Attendance: 38229 (45000)
    PLAYER OF THE GAME: Brad Fullmer

Game notes:
    Hollywood Monroe set a career high for runs in a game! Sonny Savory set a career high for runs in a game! Hollywood Monroe set a career high for hits in a game! Geoff Goetz gives up a career high number of walks in this game. Hollywood Monroe sets a new single game AL-Record for Runs with 6!!! Jerry Lopez sets a new single game AL-Record for Hits with 6!!! Jerry Lopez sets a new single game AL-Record for Runs with 6!!! Hollywood Monroe sets a new single game AL-Record for At-Bats with 8. Hollywood Monroe sets a new single game AL-Record for Hits with 6!!! Enrique Wilson set a career high for hits in a game! Enrique Wilson sets a new single game AL-Record for At-Bats with 8. Sonny Savory sets a new single game AL-Record for Runs with 6!!! Jerry Lopez set a career high for hits in a game! Jerry Lopez sets a new single game AL-Record for At-Bats with 8. Jerry Lopez sets a new single game AL-Record for Hits with 7!!! Jerry Lopez set a career high for runs in a game! Jerry Lopez sets a new single game AL-Record for Runs with 7!!! Brad Fullmer set a career high for RBI in a game! Jason Lane set a career high for runs in a game! Foster Gonzalez set a career high for runs in a game! Hollywood Monroe set a career high for RBI in a game! Hollywood Monroe sets a new single game AL-Record for At-Bats with 9. Hollywood Monroe sets a new single game AL-Record for Hits with 7!!! Hollywood Monroe sets a new single game AL-Record for Runs with 7!!! Aramis Ramirez set a career high for runs in a game! Jerry Lopez set a career high for RBI in a game! Jason Lane set a career high for RBI in a game! Enrique Wilson set a career high for runs in a game! Jerry Lopez sets a new single game AL-Record for Runs with 8!!! Brad Fullmer sets a new single game AL-Record for RBI with 9!!! Brad Fullmer set a career high for runs in a game! Curt Heinsohn's losing streak reaches a career high 11 consecutive decisions.

9. SteveFrancis3

SteveFrancis3 Contributing Member

10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Those poor, poor Stovers!

On the plus side, at least nobody got hurt. :cool:

11. Nomar

Nomar Member

Red Sox Payroll 2011: ranked 23rd: $63,520,000
    Crawdads Payroll 2011: ranked 8th: $ 82,803,600

2011 results:
    Red Sox: World Championship
    Crawdads: 10 games behind AL Wildcard

Roy Hobbs' line in the World Series?
    Boston IP H R ER BB K PI PS ERA RECORD
    R. Hobbs W 6 1 1 1 0 9 76 50 3.76 1-0

#51 Nomar, Apr 24, 2002
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2002
  12. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I take it Nomar won?

13. Heath

Heath Member

Yeah, he finally did. But he got back like 4 decades later than he said. (Raven rebuilt and won a WS way faster)

Of course I have still to win one - but I really don't care.... I like not losing/tanking for a century to win. I have constantly brought in new players and have been in the playoffs or just out of it since the beginning. (missed it twice I think) Of course my team also chokes every year in the playoffs. This year I again had most wins in AL (more than BoSox) but as always lost in the first round.... once or twice have I gotten to the 2nd round :mad:

Of course I will repeat the procedure for next season