1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[A Bit Early] Does D-Mo have Sabonis potential?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I know this is way early, and I want you to realize that the key word here is potential, but...

Sabonis was a bit taller than D-Mo, but both are/were very fluid European big men. You can say the comparison should stop there, but I don't think it does. D-Mo has shown range. He's shown flashes of being a great passer for a big man. He's got the motor and the versatility. The only thing he hasn't shown so far is great defense.

Obviously D-Mo would have a long way to go to be anywhere near a Sabonis-type player. I think he has the work ethic to do it though. I don't know if he's ready to contribute to this team right now, though. Maybe he needs half the season in the D-League, but I love the potential this guy has.

Between D-Mo and Jones, I like what we have in this year's rookie class. If Machado even becomes a lower-tier role player (which I think he will easily do), then you have to count this years crop of players as a great success, despite the No Flight White fiasco.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He needs about 90 lbs to reach Sabonis' level.

3. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

Everything needed to be said you already said: [A Bit Early]

4. Donatello

Donatello Member

Soviet era Sabonis was on another planet, but even if D-Mo can approach Portland Sabonis, the PF position is looking brighter and brighter.

5. conquistador#11

you compared him to only the most glorious soviet player of all time. all time! no pressure, dmo.

I like his potential too.

6. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Which one? The one in the NBA or the one in his prime?

7. gdinamite

gdinamite Member

I think D-Mo has a huge potencial, but compare him to Sabonis is an error. Sabonis was the best European player EVER. It's sad to see him at NBA because he was old and a with a lot of injuries.

But I think D-Mo could be a taller mist of Dirk and Gasol

8. Akim523

Akim523 Member

How come there's no video of DMO passing?

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Sabonis was about 50-60 lbs heavier than Motiejunas in his NBA days, he was a huge man. BIGGER than Omer Asik

10. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

You gave good qualifications...way too early yet...but DMo has the highest upside of any of our rookies and probably in the very top tier of all rookies of 2012....but Sabonis was, well Sabonis. He was one of the greatest players of all time in his prime.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

NBA fans only got to see old unathletc Sabonis, his best years were hidden behind the iron curtain. Plus the soviets poor care for their players really shortened his career. Onca upon a time he was athletic.

In the NBA Sabonis averaged 18 and 11 per 36 mins, and thats with him being glued to the ground.

If he had gotten to play in his prime he would have been one of the 10 greatest centers in history. Total package and the best passing center ever, bar none.

12. w00t

w00t Member

The only skillset of Donatas that can come close to Sabonis level is his passing, but even this will never make it... LOL this comparison make me cry. Dmo will never be a center, Even american food will not help him :)

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Worst thread ever.

14. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Does the NBA have a steroids policy?

15. makman

makman Member

Let's see him play more than mop-up 50 sec first.

16. jocar

jocar Member

I appreciate the optimism, but I think the homer goggles might be set to full blast on this one

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hhz-hqE6ZTY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I agree with that, we saw one good pass tonight and that was it.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

The size thing IMO is hardly a big deal. The game has changed so much since then, and you don't need to be that big anymore to succeed in the NBA.

Does it matter? I'll take either one.

19. gregas

gregas Member

LOL, Sabonis was one of the most dominant big men of all time and a complete freak of nature. He was already past his prime and riddled with injuries when he came to NBA. D-Mo has no chance at all.

20. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

Not sure if OP is serious, but I'll bite.

Sabonis was a dominating power player with huge size, sublime passing and ridiculous range way before the stretch 4 existed in the NBA. It's a real tragedy that we never got to see him play before his knee injuries in the NBA. Even with less mobility than Kendrick Perkins, Sabonis's passing and clever play in the post was a thing of beauty. He was one guy who had the size to match up with Shaq, but with much more skill. DMo's ceiling is nowhere near Sabas-level. Completely different players, but I guess both being Lithuanian overrides anything basketball related, right?