1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[93 Dunk Contest]Kenny Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, May 23, 2014.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1st player to compete in the Dunk and 3 point Contest

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cQmfVyd_ykQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. tinman

Supporting Member

almost Shawn Bradley

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GQT3u9vcQ_g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. tinman

Supporting Member

91 dunk contest
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AM_h7g8DsZI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. TheJet

TheJet Member

One of the reasons he was my favorite. 3pt contest and the dunk contest. Kenny had game.

5. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Kenny was great. But IMO, he was only the fifth best Rockets starter of the 94 championship team. That was a well-balanced Roster, despite having only one true superstar.

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Hey Kenny, this thread was created because of the 30 for 30 Thread a few threads below.

It mentions Tracy McGrady, so this loser has to make a thread like this. Get used to it, don't be fooled by ****.

7. TheJet

TheJet Member

I have no delusions about where he stood in the pecking order of talent on the team. I just liked him. Kinda like Beverley now.

8. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I can only remember him dunking once in a game during the 1993-1994 season and beyond.

9. scottie brooks

Dat backwards toss to basket with the rim grab put back! Players need to bring back these awesome dunks in future dunk contests.

10. Bruce

Bruce Member

Watching him walk now it boggles my mind he could get this kind of lift at one point. /\ = (kenny's knees now)

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The shot around Penny is among the greatest moments in Rockets history. Just awesome. Gives me the chills when I see it..considering how far they had to come back to tie that game and send it to OT.

I remember welling up a little watching him come in off the bench during a regular season game in 1996 when he had lost his starting job...he came in a game vs the Lakers (I think)...and just had a great game. And the fans were going nuts for him. It was like a swan song moment.

My best Kenny moment was being in the Summit about 30 minutes after they won the first championship...the building had nearly cleared out..and I was standing in an aisle when Kenny came back out of the locker rooms...I said, "Kenny" real loud and he pumped his fist and pointed at me...shared a little moment :) And then it was out to Richmond. Man, those were good times for Houston.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Amen..my favorite players of all time were rarely the best players on the teams they played for.

Bill Doran...Vernon Maxwell...Cris Dishman...Patrick Beverley. Those are guys I absolutely loved. Biggio too, but he's an exception to the "best player" rule I mentioned, because he often was the best player on his team and is a HOF guy.

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

At least we have one guy on TNT who doesn't crap on the Rockets constantly. Kenny Smith FTW

14. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

Whoa, they had dunk contests in the past where there weren't 20 do-overs for each dunk?

15. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

Kenny was in the dunk contest with the Sacramento Kings..between the legs facing backwards off the glass dunk!

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I'd have put him a little above Horry at that time, who was only in his 2nd season.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

Did Tracy play in e dunk contest for the rockets?

I know Steve Francis did.

18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Cool thread and memories. My best Kenny game will always be Finals @ORL making all those 3's in a huge comeback.

It's somewhat a shame Rockets haven't been much since. The fact the Astros, Oilers, and Texans haven't been ish before and after is an indictment on the city and utterly depressing.

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Jordan, Dominique, The Jet. Best ever.

20. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

I've always liked Kenny Smith. He repped the Rockets well.