1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

9-Year Old Who Changed School Lunched Silenced by Politicians

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SacTown, Jun 15, 2012.

1. SacTown

SacTown Member

9-Year-Old Who Changed School Lunches Silenced By Politicians

For the past two months, one of my favorite reads has been Never Seconds, a blog started by 9-year-old Martha Payne of western Scotland to document the unappealing, non-nutritious lunches she was being served in her public primary school. Payne, whose mother is a doctor and father has a small farming property, started blogging in early May and went viral in days. She had a million viewers within a few weeks and 2 million this morning; was written up in Time, the Telegraph, the Daily Mail, and a number of food blogs; and got support from TV cheflebrity Jamie Oliver, whose series “Jamie’s School Dinners” kicked off school-food reform in England.

Well, goodbye to all that.

This afternoon, Martha (who goes by “Veg” on the blog) posted that she will have to shut down her blog, because she has been forbidden to take a camera into school. She said:

This morning in maths I got taken out of class by my head teacher and taken to her office. I was told that I could not take any more photos of my school dinners because of a headline in a newspaper today.
    I only write my blog not newspapers and I am sad I am no longer allowed to take photos. I will miss sharing and rating my school dinners and I’ll miss seeing the dinners you send me too.

A little later, her father Dave (who helped her set up the blog but has been hands-off on the content), added to her post:

Veg’s Dad, Dave, here. I felt it’s important to add a few bits of info to the blog tonight. Martha’s school have been brilliant and supportive from the beginning and I’d like to thank them all. I contacted Argyll and Bute Council when Martha told me what happened at school today and they told me it was their decision to ban Martha’s photography.

Can we all agree how monumentally stupid this is?

Here we have a kid who got excited enough about feeding children well that she not only changed the food in her own district — within two weeks, officials were allowing children in her school to have “unlimited salads, fruit and bread,” which apparently was the policy all along only someone forgot to say so — but also got children around the world excited about their lunches too. Over the blog’s seven weeks, she received images of school lunches from Germany, Japan, Finland, Illinois, Spain, Washington State, a school in Atlanta that keeps kosher, and on.

And no, to stave off the inevitable snark, she’s not a bratty entitled kid. Here’s how we know: By her 19th post, she decided she’d gotten enough attention that she wanted to redirect it somewhere useful, and she asked her followers to donate to a charity called Mary’s Meals that funds school food in Africa. She started off the donations by sending £50 that she got from a magazine that reprinted some of her photos. By today, according to her father’s note, she had raised £2,000.

We anguish about getting kids to be enthusiastic about healthy, sustainable food — to not prefer the bad stuff, not waste the good stuff, and not be entitled little monsters who whine about when their next chicken nugget is arriving. And then a child emerges who, out of her own creativity and curiosity, does all of that, and gets other children around the world excited about doing it too. And then she gets told she is offending the powers that be, and is slapped down.

Those would be the powers who told a 9-year-old that she was making “bad choices” out of the food being served at her school, without ever taking responsibility for what they had allowed to be offered. (Which is not necessarily the norm for school lunches in Scotland, as this piece from the Daily Record makes clear.)

Infuriating.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/06/neverseconds-shut-down/

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Changed School Lunched?

I can't believe I'm saying this, but just go back to Lebron slobber posts.

2 people like this.
  3. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Big Gov't Big Brother once again slamming down the people of America! Hightop, where are you? Where's the Obama bashing?

yes, i know it is Scotland, but why shouldn't that be a reason to turn this into an opportunity to bash Obama???

#4 Sweet Lou 4 2, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I remember the first time I went to Changed School Lunched. It was on a rainy April morning. I had just gotten back from Sweden after having had the big operation. I could almost feel the second hand sweeping on my very expensive watch which DaDa purchased for me from his video game empire.

As I approached the door, I felt a certain twinge that reminded me of my afternoons as a small boy at James Coney Island. Back then, my mother worked the day shift, and the smell of chili permeated our small apartment much like the smell of a fillthy aquarium.

Changed School Lunched changed me. After years at their treatment facility in Brussels, I'm a new man and hooked on phonics. As I've always said, "Smart moms know that kids minds grow upon sweet pickles."

2 people like this.
  6. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

What a great story. And an amazing 9 yo! I don't doubt she improved the quality of her school's lunches...

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't get how banning her from taking pictures of school lunches means that her whole blog would've been shut down? Couldn't she still write about the lunches and have others send her pics of lunches?

8. SacTown

SacTown Member

Huh? Because I hit the "d" key instead of the "s"? This is a good story, don't ruin it by trying to be funny when you aren't.

9. SacTown

SacTown Member

This wasn't really funny either, but nice try I guess.

10. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

[​IMG]

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Lolwut?

12. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

They are up to something like 50,000 GBP in the donation now.

13. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Little Johnnie was watching cartoons early on a Saturday morning when he heard some noise coming from his parent's room. He thought they were still asleep, so he tip-toed over to their room to investigate. He eased the door open to see his mom bent over the bed with daddy going to town on her from behind. Johnnie had never seen such a thing, and he was too shocked to even make a noise. Daddy saw him anyway, and with a sly grin and a wink, he leaned over and shut the door without ever missing a beat.

The following weekend, grandma came to visit, and while Daddy was cleaning up after breakfast, he heard some loud noises coming from little Johnnie's bedroom. Daddy rushed over to little Johnnie's room and swung the door open. He stood there with his mouth unhinged......too much in shock to say anything. Little Johnnie had grandma bent over his bed and he was going to town on her from behind. With a sly grin and a wink, Little Johnnie looked over at Daddy and said,

......."It ain't so damn funny when it's your mom, is it?"

1 person likes this.
  14. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Supermac, Yeah the donations are crazy now. The charity is building a new kitchen for the school in Malawi. Her blog will do more for the kids in Africa than Scotland. Many of those children go without any lunches or scraps for meals. I made a 10 GBP donation also.

#14 BetterThanEver, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  15. SacTown

SacTown Member

I donated as well. This story is gaining huge traction all over the world and like you said it's really more about Africa than Scotland.