1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

9 million children lose health insurance as GOP Congress lets CHIP expire

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You're doing a great job, Brownie.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

not good news clearly but CHIP is for middle-class families who SHOULD be able to afford insurance for their families. when is someone going to fix the price of healthcare and not just send more and more taxes to corporate healthcare price gougers?!?!?

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Well it doesn't look too likely in the next 3+ years.

6. ipaman

way more than 3+ years and counting friend. red/blue/purple, doesn't matter. all sides argue and fight for scraps, get common folks to fight among themselves, while letting the corporate healthcare pigs get rich as they bath in the turmoil. worst of all, most americans are willing participants so maybe we get what we deserve.

7. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Evil stuff. Wasn't Hillary Clinton responsible for bringing CHIP to kids in the 90s? That's what I don't get with ipaman's deflection about red/blue/purple. Right now GOP controls every branch of government and dictate legislation right now. They could come up with an alternative to CHIP or continue it's running success. Instead, they opt for nothing with just gross negligence on their part. I seriously doubt Clinton or a Democratic majority Congress would let CHIP expire as it has.

SF3isBack!! and Yung-T like this.
  8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Obviously, Ipa thinks CHIP was terrible -- paying for insurance for people that didn't need it. So he's seeing it as a step in the right direction.

9. ipaman

I'll explain like you're 5, CHIP shouldn't be needed because middle-class (who CHIP is for) families should be able to afford healthcare in this country. creating programs to fund super outrageous, super price gouging, healthcare systems is not a real solution. fixing the price gouging is the real solution and nobody has been willing to take on the healthcare lobby because they are owned by the healthcare lobby.

i mean seriously, here's a black and white example. do you want a program to help you pay for a $800 bag of saline that costs $1 to make OR.... maybe a $1 bag of saline shouldn't cost $800 facking dollars?!?!

wrong, i think not needed but also we're in no right direction thanks to bought politicians and corrupt medical lobby as a clearly stated. so next time don't speak for me and instead listen. if you're not sure, ask.

10. London'sBurning

You're proposing a massive overhaul of the entire healthcare system and saying both sides are to blame. Regardless of the success of CHIP or Obamacare, at least Democrats took a chance at passing legislation to help it's citizens without cooperation from the GOP mind you on Obamacare. CHIP actually did have bipartisan support since GOP ran Congress while Bill was President and Hillary was 1st Lady. Contrast that with present day, the GOP can push or continue any legislation they want right now but are unable to even come up with bandaid fixes or minor overhauls to Obamacare. I mean CHIP was a successful program. All they had to do was continue it and it would have received bipartisan support, and probably even caused Trump to receive credit helping millions of American kid. But they didn't.

CHIP was a successful program. I mean when have you ever heard anyone b**** about CHIP on this very board? Seldom, I imagine. The fact that a government program could be effective in the face of a flawed healthcare system, should be applauded, instead of pointing out it's not doing enough. I agree, it's not doing enough. Why are we discontinuing effective healthcare legislation though? How does that fix the bigger picture you're disengenuously saying both sides haven't attempted to remedy?

Yung-T likes this.
  11. ipaman

Democrats did what lobbyist allowed them to do and I have no doubt that the GOP the same. Meanwhile we'll all keep paying $800 dollars for $1 item and fight amongst ourselves, while they roll in the money like pigs. program or no program they are still getting their money from american people and whether it be all of us or some of us imo is irrelevant.

12. London'sBurning

So lobbyists don't want CHIP to continue by your logic. And they did this so we would fight on a message board over the cost of healthcare while they rake in money. Whether a program is effective or not, they're still raking in money and just want us to fight. That's a summation of your posts on this board. Oh and the classic Space Ghost deflection of both sides are to blame.

So what did Hillary Clinton do in the 90s to curtail the evil lobbyists from shooting down a program like CHIP? Why was it successful for almost two decades despite the evils of lobbyists? Why have the GOP caved into those evil lobbyists that are out to tear us Americans apart but crooked Hillary did not? What's the solution ipaman? What do we do with the 9 million uninsured kids right now?

Yung-T likes this.
  13. ipaman

You got it completely wrong and I'm not surprised.

One more time, lobbyists allowed CHIP to pass to begin with, it's actually easier to exploit prices through a government program. Lobbyists also allowed CHIP to expire because they've got something else up their sleeves. Lobbyists won't allow a nice exploitable program's disappearance to affect their bottom line. Just be patient, something else will get done and done quickly because they will not risk not getting paid. And right now they have 9 million fewer customers but they won't for long. They will find a way and this give and take, games being played has been happening since lobbying has been allowed.

Meanwhile, it's apparent you're not so concerned with $1 medical items costing Americans $800. You do know that poor and middle-class children are charged those prices right? Logic dictates that if you care about poor and middle-class children then you would care about the fact that their health is being exploited for massive profits.

14. London'sBurning

You have no idea what you're talking about. They could have proposed newer legislation in place of CHIP while letting it expire but they didn't. What GOP CHIP alternative are you aware of that no one else is?

15. ipaman

Be patient, I'm sure it's already written up or perhaps since obama-lite failed again they are scrambling to write it up. But IT WILL happen and fixing price gouging WON'T happen.

16. London'sBurning

[​IMG]
    When I google CHIP insurance alternative it yields nothing but discussions about 8 or 9 millions kids health insurance being taken away from by Congress this Fall and the impact that would have. I see nothing about alternate proposals. Even the failed healthcare policies meant to repeal and replace Obamacare are supposed to go through CBO scores. Where's the CBO score of this non-existent plan you said they're coming up with? How far are you willing to go looking like an ignorant buffoon?

What of this article that says health insurance premiums will go up absent CHIP? Doesn't that go against your narrative about them coming up with something and how lobbyists are just out to get paid? Won't they get paid more by letting CHIP expire? Where's the fix from our GOP run government ipaman? What of the 2 million chronic illness children that won't have their treatment covered because of our negligent Congress?

https://news.yale.edu/2017/04/03/mo...ould-face-higher-insurance-costs-without-chip

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The GOP the party of big business wants to stop the Big Pharma from making money?

R0ckets03 likes this.
  18. ipaman

okay you're right, healthcare lobbyists have given up. healthcare lobby, after spending hundreds of billions, has been defeated. if you believe that you are an imbecile.

19. ipaman

Nope, not at all. Money is green, not blue or red.

20. London'sBurning

Show me the CHIP alternative. I'm waiting. It's only been an effective program for two decades. I know I can't stop finding posts about how CHIP is screwing everyone over on this message board and what a gluttonous piece of ineffective legislation it is. You said there's an alternative. What's the alternative called? Why is it better than CHIP?