1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

8 games in do we still luv WB?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Nov 9, 2019.

?

How are you feeling about WB?

1. Brodie has been a god

2. Overall, Brodie has been solid

3. Brodie's been dissapointing

4. Should have kept CP3

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. roslolian

roslolian Member

You guys are missing the point when evaluating the poll you should think if you would rather have Brodie or CP3 at this point since that was who got exchanged. I see posts like "he is solid for 40M etc" but the salary is a sunk cost we would have paid that 40M regardless it was just between CP3 or Brodie. And Brodie is a god compared to Cp3:

Cp3 16 pts 3reb 4 ast 59.9% TS
    Brodie 20.7 pts 9.6 rebs 8.7 ast 52.2% TS

As you can see there is no comparison Cp3 is more efficient but he puts up less stats on the board, he is like a super role player at this point and 40M for a super role player is a massive rip off that's why the team was always so Harden dependent the past few years. OTH WB is playing like a legit superstar even if Beard and EG have bad games we have still won and still got the 3rd seed so far.

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Heard Bullard mention dislocated fingers but wasn't sure who he was talking about.

Once healed, Westbrook's future could be 30% 3PT and 70% FT !!!

3. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

Am I the only that sees him brick almost every single 3 and mid ranger, but when he drives to the hoop, generally good things happen?

I'd rather him take no shot outside of 10 feet, unless wide open off the catch, and drive to the rim every single time. But I guess this is a pipe dream and he'll keep shooting semi contested mid-range shots...

AroundTheWorld and Remlap like this.
  4. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

This is Russell's lowest USG rate since his sophomore year. So taking that into account and his overall production, he has been an excellent fit. He's is not really forcing too much, and has significantly impacted our style of play with his pace.

In addition, there have been games and quarters where James has struggled and in response, he increased his assertiveness to make things happen. His passion and energy are infectious.

Of course there has been the occasional defensive lapse, the out of control drive, or just a crazy 180-degree spin pass/turnover but hopefully, he tightens these things up as the season progresses.

But without a doubt, a significant upgrade over CP3 and will hopefully be a big force in the playoffs.

5. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I would take 2017-2018 chris paul over Brodie any day on this team. However he is definitely no longer that player. I am still not convinced Westbrook is the answer and I am hoping Westbrook at this point has more trade value in order for us to get the player or players we need.

Elephant810 and Easy like this.
  6. cml750

cml750 Member

So far he has been solid. He needs to work harder on defense, get the FT percentage north of the 70 mark and not force the 3 ball. He is a fast break machine but seems lost in the half court at times. I think he sometimes just defers to Harden in half court. I think he will get better at half court the longer he and Harden play together. They really need to redevelop their chemistry. I still am very high on this combination.

AroundTheWorld and Hakeemtheking like this.
  7. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Russ has always played the same way and not going to change. We knew what we would get - guy who can put great pressure on defenses in both half court and fast break and grabs boards as a guard making the backcourt tandem difficult to defend. The trade off was the solid defense and court vision playmaking ability of CP3. Has it been that much of a difference maker? Too early to tell. Until we face those western juggernauts we will get a better idea.

BaselineFade and pr0wler like this.
  8. Remlap

Remlap Member

I've been impressed with the fact that he is not pressing to 'be the MAN'.
    He knows it's James' team for the most part and he doesn't seem to impose his game on the team.
    He's been a pretty good 'Robin' to the Bat'MAN'

The TO's are getting ridiculous, he needs to clean that up.
    Tonight's Bulls game was full of terrible decisions and passes.

Here are some of the pro's I see:
    1) LOVE his heart and disdain for losing. Can tell he's a true competitor and hates to lose

2) Plays second fiddle to James. At this stage in his career I truly wonder if WB is maybe
    okay with not having to carry the team and the load every game

3) He has a HIGH motor. I like the energy, from rebounding to going coast to coast
    it's refreshing to see that sort of effort after having watched ISO ball and 20 seconds to setup
    Also with his usage rate down and not having to carry the team (this has been mentioned before),
    he does seem to have that extra gear in the 4th Q to run other teams into the ground when they are worn out.

4) Based on #3, it seems that WB's up-tempo game has helped James as well.
    James is running the break more often since his bud WB is leading the charge.

I think it can work well if they get it figured out.
    PUSH the ball on transition using Russ if the opportunity is there.
    If NOT, James can work his halfcourt magic and try and make something happen.

IvanLCPM, smp, BaselineFade and 2 others like this.
  9. Caprah

Caprah Member

Harden and Westbrook form the most explosive backcourt in the league. Harden had to carry a washed up Paul last season. Russ can have games that are just as good as James something Paul just couldn’t do anymore

D-rock, smp, BigggReddd and 3 others like this.
  10. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

he has been fantastic as the robin to Harden's batman. He has taken the second option with the ball really well

pr0wler likes this.
  11. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

he is shooting at his best fg percentage in his career so far, not worried about the threes as he won't take many of them.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Russ gets better as the game goes on and dude is great in the 4th quarters of games. Works for me!

D-rock, jcmoon and hakeem94 like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

9 games in, 73 to go.

D-rock, Easy and hakeem94 like this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

...so far so good i expect him to be even greater in the playoffs...had harden been himself we would be tearing the league apart now..wb is not a shooter but hardens teams always lacked that secondary playmaker so that he cant be double teammed

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  15. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Basically this. With CP3, everybody was just counting the days until he'd get injured. And even when he wasn't, he very seldom would produce fantastic performances last season. CP3 with the keys to the offense in OKC is averaging 16, 5 and 3. But if we were to give Westbrook the keys, he'd give you a 40pt triple double within a couple weeks with a couple dazzling performances in between. 21, 8 & 9 are WB's numbers in comparison.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  16. Asian Sensation

Hated the trade. Still do but I’m trying my best to like this guy. He is who I thought he was in terms of his pace, energy and ability to put up numbers.

I already knew he couldn’t shoot but damn he’s been worse than I thought. I was expecting positive regression with his 3pt% and FT% because his percentages have steadily declined each of the last few years. I figured they couldn’t get worse and this new offense would be more friendly but no. He’s on pace to set career lows.

He better improve and not just by a little bit cause a Point guard that shoots 23% from three, 65% from the FT line with a 1.8 assist to turnover ratio and his bad decision making (historically speaking) is not gonna cut it regardless of pace, energy heart, passion or whatever else.

17. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

you take the good with the bad...we pretty much knew that.

1. he gets points out of nothing, driving into a seam in the transition that only he can get. He's like a running back. He keeps hammering away at you. They may be able to play good defense for the first half or even three quarters, but eventually even young guys get worn out. brodie is eventually going to find the crack in the defense and get easy layups. He doesn't get tired and is huge in the 4th quarter. In that regard he is a perfect complement to James because James does the opposite at times. This hammering effect takes away from the other teams offense and it doesn't show up in his stats. When a team has to constantly play great defense in the half court and in transition it takes away from their offense.

2. Russ has balls of steel and isn't afraid to take the big shot. Even though he's not a good shooter he has the ability to nail that back-breaking-3 -pointer in the 4th quarter that literally buries the other team, breaks their soul, because there is no way they can defend it. This is why I actually don't mind him taking these shots and missing, because when the playoffs come, someone needs to make those shots. A great defense will take the ball out of harden's hands and its going to be up to someone else to nail those shots.

3. Its great that capela is playing better because he needs to be shipped out as soon as we can get his trade value up! this is why its so critical for him to play well and get a lot of minutes! Russ actually needs to take some of those pull ups that we don't want because he doesn't have a better option do pass of to. As soon as we get a stretch five, Russ is more than willing to drive and kick to a good 3 point shooting center and we'll see these mid range shots go down.

4. Russ is deferring to EG and even rivers at times in the half court. He knows his role. I would like to see him give the ball up to rivers at the top of the key and go set a screen for a him.

5. Its absolutely critical for us to get a great 3 and D player...Russ needs to be hidden on the other teams worst perimeter player on D. In this way, he can sag off him and get the defensive rebound and start that fast break! When this happens, we can get the most out of him.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He has balls of steel but whenever he meets Dame who got testicles made of titanium, Lillard outplays WB mightily.

19. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

I think that was a good experience for russ and its humbled him....he knows he not a first option and on this team, he doesn't need to be.....and again, another reason we need a lockdown defender, because we don't want russ defending dame or mccollum, We need to make the other teams go through multiple screens in order to get an isolation opportunity against harden OR Russ.

20. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

people only think that because of one Playoff series and a massive series winning shot. Westbrook actually played well against the Blazers in the season series. In our system, Lillard has no hope of containing him

daywalker02 likes this.