1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

79 of the 119 anti-Trump protesters arrested in Portland last week likely didn't vote

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DonnyMost, Nov 16, 2016.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/more-than-half-of-arrested-anti-trump-protesters-didnt-vote/351964445

This is why Democrats lose. And why an inspirational candidate is so critical to liberals. People show up to complain, but they don't show up to protest vote. Fact of life.

If this type of johnny-come-lately activist voted every single year, there would scarcely be another Republican governor, Congressman, or President. Ever.

Invisible Fan and Deji McGever like this.
  2. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

3. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Like I said, we deserve who we elect, good or bad.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How do you know what party affiliation the people who got arrested are with?

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yep. I'm an affluent white male and my wife and I both work in the energy industry. We've voted against our best interests for... 16 years now because we want every level of our society to have great opportunities to find and maintain success and equality.

But... if those I'm voting for don't show up or cancel out my vote by voting against their own best interests; worse, if they irresponsibly abandon their own cause, rendering it an empty revolution... you sleep in the bed, and all....

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'd imagine that those arrested, mostly for property crimes, are more likely to be anarchist leaning than anythign else.

9. dmoneybangbang

Extreme left is a bunch of anarchists.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Oregon went to Clinton anyway. And, by 10 percentage points. Pretty sure 80 votes wouldn't have made a lick of difference. Don't see how their voting behavior has anything to do with the protest.

11. pirc1

Those people are just a representative sample of the people who are dissatisfied with the election results but did not vote, they have nothing to complain about.

12. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Although I get OP's point, the First Amendment is not linked to voting. Wanna go for the Second Amendment now? "X didn't vote, so he has no Second Amendment rights"?

13. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

That was not my point.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Oregon went to Clinton anyway. Piling up votes wouldn't have moved the election at all. But it doesn't matter anyway. Voting isn't a prerequisite to anything.

15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Ah, your point was that they don't vote, and if they did, things would be different. I think Juan Valdez put that claim to rest. Oregon went Democratic.

16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

You think this is an isolated incident?

Scoop up a few hundred protesters at any of these demonstrations around the country and you're likely to find just as many slacktivists.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Leaving aside the fact that their vote for President for all intents and purposes means nothing in a solidly blue state, maybe they're protesting the fact that Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton were our two choices.

18. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

If they were really adamant about the situation the protesting and rioting would have began when the DNC nominated Clinton. It's that simple.

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Its based on principle. I would be a little more sympathetic if they were having a peaceful nondisruptive protest.

This is your logic BTW; Oregon went to Clinton, so their votes wouldn't have mattered. Since Oregon will go to Hillary, why should anyone bother to show up to vote?
    Rarely does a singular vote have an impact. We vote not so much because its our civic duty, but because we are standing up for what we believe in the system that was designed to elect people who represent us.

20. pirc1

Of course I know Hillary won Oregon, but I am sure there are voters like that in states like Florida and other states where the race is very close. If everyone is like that, why does anyone bother to vote?