1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

.64 to the 27th power

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swiss Roll, May 29, 2018.

1. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

thats 0.00000584601, or about 1/117,000 against.

That is the likleyhood of this team missing 27 3s in a row, let that number sink in.

2. astros123

astros123 Member

lmao jesus

3. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I thought this would be a conspiracy thread at first. Its just a stats thread.

Dissapointing. Plz tell me conspiracy theories @Swiss Roll

4. HP3

HP3 Member

oh my god...enough

5. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Um No its not
    If you take a bad shot like with a guy in your face off the dribble without being open the chance of making it is much closer to zero.
    That's why steph curry missed a million threes this series, it wasn't because the almight god did mathamagic, its called defense.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I like the math

7. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

At least 15 of those 3s were catch and shoot, open. corner 3s.

hakeem94 and TheRealAllpro like this.
  8. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Probably better to shoot than to drive, get hacked with no foul call and turn it over.

9. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

You’re assuming we shoot .36 from three. That’s not the case.

But yeah still very low probability of that happening. Which of course we managed to pull off.

FML...

Lawlruschang likes this.
  10. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Yeah it's not easy to shoot when your playing a 5 man rotation and your using your legs to the max to defend 4 allstars two of them MVP's.
    Ask curry why he missed a million threes, he only had to defend one guy.. Harden.
    Maybe that was an insane statistical lottery too --> Not

This year was the best shot, the stars aligned for us. But oh well, there's always next year.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  11. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

To be fair we made one, but it didn’t count as continuation.

waytookrzy079 and Lawlruschang like this.
  12. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

Basically what you've figured out is that missing 27 straight 3s due to simply chance is not a likely explanation for what happened today. Rockets played next level switching defense that relied on maximum concentration, physicality, movement, and communication just to give themselves a chance. That's going to hurt you when you're shooting long-range 3s and your legs are hurting.

Lawlruschang and palmsnbananas like this.
  13. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

#ANALYTICS

14. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

A lot people just don't get this.
    That's why three pointer's aren't as reliable in the playoffs bc everyone's playing the hardest D they have all year.

Lawlruschang and Roxfreak724 like this.
  15. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

Ya, I personally shoot more mid-range in pickup ball as games wear on and I start feeling tired, doesn't take much effort to get the ball into the basket from 15-18 feet vs 20 ft +

Regardless, I don't think going away from shooting threes in the playoffs is the answer. It's just understanding that there is a point of diminishing returns, especially when you're also playing unbelievable defense against Golden State. The "sweet spot" for 3 pt attempts in the playoffs against golden state is probably around 32-37 attempts, . James and CP3 specifically should be encouraged to use the mid-range throughout the game to conserve as much energy as possible. James really needs to understand that, he can't keep shooting 10-12 contested step-back 3s, it's too damn hard.

I don't think outshooting GS is the answer, I think we lose in a straight up shootout. It has to be a dogfight, a slugfest, where we take them out of their game with our defense, and rely on our playmaking superstars to control the tempo of the game. The Rockets discovered a formula that works against GS, the pieces just have to fall together at the right time.

16. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

I agree that we don't need to abandon the three, in fact we are the better team and we played better and therefore we won.. period. Until our best/second best player got injured.

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'll just say if the Rockets come back next season without having made any changes to the offense to incorporate more mid-range shots into the offense...then they are setting themselves up for more failure and heartbreak. CP3 can't be the only mid-range option because, when he went out, we went back to having none.

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

basketball gods didnt want us to win...its cool with me...we gave our best, we had a terrific crowd, klay in foul trouble from the start, we had decent officiating....we had the best team of all times on ropes, we should of blow them out even with a normal below average shooting night but its meant to be this way