1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

610am Gilbert/Clemens

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The Real Shady, Aug 17, 2005.

Tags:
  1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I caught the tail end of a pretty big debate this morning on 610 with Lance/John and some people who were upset about how they use Gilbert on the show. For those who don't know Gilbert is a little slow, stutters quite a bit, and tends to say the word "anyway" every other word. Now I listened to the interview and laughed my rear off, but at the same time felt a tad dirty for doing it. After all I'm laughing at someone who is borderline r****ded. During the interview John and Lance can be heard cracking up throughout also.

I'm not surprised that people are getting pissed about this because is it really different from what Howard Stern does on his show with stutters, drunks, midgets, and mentally challenged?

Just interested to get everyone's opinion on it. Maybe Chance and MattJ can chime in.

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Gilbert doesn't seem r****ded to me. Of course, I only found out about him this summer since I never listened to the morning show much before.

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I love it. It's nice to have some laughs in between all of the...

"Hey guys, how are ya? Hey, what do you think about this three team deal right here? Say the Astros trade Burke, Lane, Zeke and a prospect to SD for Peavy, Hoffman and Giles, SD then trades Burke to St Louis and we get Pujols and Rolen...then we move Rolen to second and put Bidge or Bags at SS? Could this work? I'll hang up and listen."

:rolleyes: Every friggin' day. Any Gilbert segment is welcome relief from some of the tards that clog up the phones. If it offends, there's this little button on your radio that says "off". Use it.

4. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

Personally, I 've always thought that Gilbert has been borderline faking it.

Who knows though? If he is really r****ded, then continuing to exploit him (and yeah it is exploitation despite all the free gifts & stuff he gets) is pretty lame, unless you go the Howard Stern route and admit you are doing it to make fun of a r****ded guy. Don't even try to tell me people are laughing with him and his "witticisms."

They are laughing AT him. Hell, I admit - I laugh AT him. He's a poor man's Slingblade-guy, and his only purpose on the radio is to be put into situations where he is ridiculed. Just like Loc Seebenhausen(sp?) or Beetlejuice or Hank the Angry Drunk Dwarf...

If they really wanted to "better the guy's life" and the live's of other people there are better ways to go about it.

Basically, all I'm saying is that I don't have a problem with it as long as they (and we who listen & laugh) all own up to the fact that we're making fun of a r****d. Simple as that. No different than what Stern does.

Anyway, I've always though that other call-in "r****ds" were better. Colley was more entertaining than Gilbert.

Which brings back another point - WTF is up with banning guys like Colley & Cowboy Steve?
    Those guys add more in laughs, shock value, debate, etc than some of the hosts on 610 =cough= Marc & Rich =cough= often do.

Banning guys b/c they get shrill or differ so much in opinion seems like a real pussified way of running a sports talk radio program.

5. Toast

Toast Member

I didn't hear it. And I've only heard Gilbert once or twice. I guess I'm the real r****d 'cause I always thought he was just drunk.

Laugh at me all you want.

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

The whole Gilbert act is played out and lame. Seriously 610, find something new. I change stations every time they bring him on.

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

It's hard to determine whether Gilbert is faking it or not when he is on the radio and you cannot see him.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

If Gilbert is really mentally r****ded, or close to it, I will never listen to 610 again.

That being said, I don't think he is. He just sounds drunk and old.

9. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Heyyyy....you just got married.....ain't you supposed to be busy or sumpin like dat......

;) :D

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Well, it is a sports talk station. A 24 hour sports talk station. That being the case, obviously there is going to be a lot of redundancy.

I don't get the impression that Gilbert is r****ded. I just think he's a guy who talks too fast and says "anyway" at the end of every sentence. Kind of silly. I've never heard him stutter. He just talks too fast and it causes him to slur words together.

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

[​IMG]

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

4-4, baby. :D Honeymoon's not until the 28th, though.

13. codell

codell Contributing Member

Hah

Wait a few years and it will be like 20 for 365 if you are lucky.

If you have kids, youll be lucky to go 5 for 365.

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I don't know about Gilbert, but I laughed my ass off at the replay of Dr. Evil asking Tom Tinan if he could build a midevil house for him with a moat. :D

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Thanks man. I really appreciate the look into my bright future. :( :D

BTW, I've really always thought that Gilbert is the 610 version of LHutz...a complete creation of the station.

16. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

:D

Dr. Evil is great. Didn't he also have a call aired on Larry King Live?

17. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

If you consider Tom Tynan a sport. Or that crazy foreign language music they were playing Sunday at around 11.

18. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Why do I keep hearing Elaine telling Kramer, "He thinks you're mentally challenged!" :D

[​IMG]

#18 Jeff, Aug 17, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2005
  19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah...what was that all about?

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I think its fairly obvious that dude's mentally disabled. That being said, I go back and forth on the subject. Yeah, they're laughing at him and not with him, but they don't just play mean jokes on the dude. He loves to call the station.