1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

6 Games left....who takes the hill?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Alimoe84, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Ok people we're down to the wire. 6 games left all at MMP. 3 against the Cards, but I'm thankful as hell to have Oswalt and Clemens scheduled to pitch agaisnt them. Which brings me to my next point. 6 games in 6 days. Looking at the rotation, if everyone pitched on normal rest, Munro, Hernandez and Oswalt would be scheduled to go against the Rockies. If we need to, do we pitch Oswalt and Clemens on 3 days rest? That's a hell of a lot to ask, but I don't trust Hernandez's stuff right now and you never now what youre going to get with Pete Munro. Assuming we do get into the playoffs by pitching Roy and Roger on 3 days, then we'd have to pitch Either Backe, Hernandez or Munro in game one of the NLDS. I don't want to look to far ahead, but What do yall think the best possible solution is? I say that run supports is crucial early for Clemens and Oswalt so Phil can get them out after maybe 6 IP and turn it over to Miceli and Lidge. That way they can rest and be ready if they need to go on 3 days rest.

2. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I think that would depend on what happens the first 4 games, and moreso what happens in Chi and SF's games. If we win the first 4 and Chi loses 2 and SF 1, then we're all tied heading into the last two. I would then pitch Oswalt on 3 days rest, and Clemens as well if need be.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

With the "win at all costs" attitude this team has right now, it really doesn't make a difference to me who takes the mound... if we're meant to win that game, it will happen.

See last week in San Fran... Oswalt takes the hill and loses, Backe takes the hill and they somehow find a way to win.

Or in Milwaukee... Clemens takes the mound, and is amazing... but the team has no offense for him, and he gets the no decision (probably would have been a loss without him). Hernandez pitches, and is godawful... but the team hits like crazy, and pull out a victory.

At this point, there are no excuses, and they'll always try and use every advantage to try and make the playoffs (which includes perhaps, Clemens being available for an inning or two on the final day).

To me, its guys like Brad Lidge, Dan Wheeler, and Dan Miceli being able to pitch EVERY GAME when we need them... that's probably going to be more important for all these final games collectively. (and Lidge is definitely doing his part... he's pitched in 3 out of the last 4 games, and all three vs. Milwaukee last week).

4. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

If we sweep the Cards...

who will pitch against the Rockies?

I hope Clemens would go on short rest so we could throw he and Oswalt again.

It could actually come down to Sunday...with Clemens on 3 days rest.

5. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I just posted something about this in the other thread.

It think you HAVE to throw Oswalt, Backe, and Clemens in the Rockies series. You just can't afford to throw Munro or Hernandez out there again.

These guys can handle one less day of rest for 1 start.

My big concern is ... Who is going to pitch a possible tie-breaker game against the Cubs?

6. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I think you start Oliver...or even Harville ...we need to get an early lead and if it takes a 12-11 win, then so be it....but we need to get there first

7. Glish21

Glish21 Member

is it in colorado or houston

8. PhiSlammaJamma

You spelled I-F wrong, I believe it is spelled W-h-e-n

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Houston... there are no more road games.

You'd see a lot more panic if the team had to go to Colorado in the final week... that would be a true nightmare for any team trying to get a playoff spot.

10. PhiSlammaJamma

Agree. Dropping down to a three or four man rotation now is totally reasonable. We can even run them short and go to a strengthened bullpen that way.

11. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Clemens has a very set routine, I wouldn't tinker with it. He's 42 years old, and I don't think starting him on 3 days rest would be a smart move. At any rate, the record of pitchers over the past decade starting on short rest is terrible. Stick with the formula and hope for the best.

12. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

This is actually kind of what I was thinking ... Unless winning the last game of the season hands us the Wild Card outright .. I wouldn't mind saving Clemens for a potential one game playoff

What happens in the case of a 3-Way tie for the wild card?

13. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Our current rotation.
    Oswalt
    Backe
    Clemens
    Munro
    Hernandez

24 - Phillies - Clemens
    25 - Phillies - Munro
    26 - Phillies - Hernandez
    27 - Cardinals - Oswalt
    28 - Cardinals - Backe
    29 - Cardinals - Clemens
    30 - Off day

Here's where it gets interesting:

Oct 1 - Rockies -
    Oct 2 - Rockies -
    Oct 3 - Rockies -

October 1st:
    Scenario:
    Who do we start, Hernandez on his scheduled day to pitch, or Munro with an extra day of rest (Hernandez last pitched 26th, Munro pitched the 25th)
    Carlos hasn't gotten out of the 3rd inning in his past 2 starts, Munro hasn't gotten out of the 5th inning in his past 2 starts.

If it were me, looking at the stats for the past few weeks, I'd start Munro on a VERY short leash, and have Hernandez ready to back him up if necessary, and then the rest of the bullpen.

October 2:
    No Scenario, Oswalt pitches, no matter what.

October 3:
    Scenario: Astros up 1 game in wildcard
    Start Backe, Save Clemens for one game playoff if necessary, or game 1 of the playoffs.

Scenario: Astros tied/1 game back in wildcard.
    Start Clemens, must win situation.

Something doesn't seem right...maybe I'm forgetting something.

14. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Maybe it is the fact that you had us playing the Phillies last weekend. We haven't played them since August. We played the Brewers last.

15. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

LOL! That's what it was. I was playing MVP baseball last night around 4am and was playing against the phillies....oh man. HAHAHA

16. ths balla

ths balla Member

espn: The Astros play the Cardinals this week, with Roy Oswalt pitching against Woody Williams on Monday; Roger Clemens is slated to start Wednesday. Oswalt is slated to pitch Saturday during the weekend home series against Colorado, and don't be surprised if Clemens starts on three days' rest Sunday, if the Astros are alive; this is way he thinks, the way he competes.

17. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Clemens himself says he'll be ready to pitch on short rest:

Chronicle: Ready for extra work

Roger Clemens, scheduled to make his final start of the season in Wednesday's series finale with the Cardinals, has spoken with manager Phil Garner about the possibility of coming back on short rest this weekend.

Clemens could come back on three day's rest and pitch in Sunday's season finale, but he hasn't ruled out being used in relief, either.

"It's going to depend on what goes on this week, whether it's he pulls me out of a game where we have a lead and saves me where I can come back early," Clemens said. "Or he might want to piece together Roy (Oswalt) and I somewhere along the way. There's a lot of options we have and I'm not opposed to anyone of them.

"I'll just do small exercises so I can save all my energy for the field for this week for whatever happens after Wednesday. Even if comes down to a playoff game or I pitch Sunday when everything is on the line, you can ask your body to do a lot of things. I've trained my body for such situations."

18. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

I'm not sure, but I would consider starting Clemens on the 3rd even with a 1 game lead. I would prefer to slam the door, rather than leave it open. At that point, I'd play to win it, and try to minimize the need to travel to Chicago for a playoff, then travel to play game one right after. That's a surefire way to have a team come out flat for game 1.

You could say this (burning Clemens) is hurting us in a potential game 1, but I'd say we have to get there first.

I'm not hopeful the Braves will do us any favors, either. I think their rainout last night and ensuing double header can only hurt us. The positive there is that they will hopefully be fighting with the Dodgers for position, with the loser having to face the Cardinals juggernaut in the first round. So that may give them some incentive to win those games.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I would have liked RO to have been lifted after 5 (or at least 6) last nite, then be able to bring him back in 2-3 days for 1-2 innings of relief work (when he would thrown bullpen anyway).

20. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

especially since his ribcage injury flared up again in the later innings. Would have been nice to get it some rest.

The Cards really didn't hit him at all until the injury started bothering him again.