1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

59 finally nearing completion!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Free Agent, May 26, 2003.

1. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Man, I saw the prettiest site yesterday...a huge chunk of 59, the Southwest freeway, looks like it is opening very soon. Most of the lanes are already open now with just a few orange barrels needing to be moved.

There IS a God.

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Are you talking about down in Sugarland?

3. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

yes, while that section is completed, after you drive past the new section, it bottlenecks back to 2-3 lanes, right?

There will be a god, when light rail extends from downtown to Sugarland and The Galleria area!

4. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Going which way? I think it goes back down to 2 lanes after hwy 6 going south.

5. SLA

SLA Member

OH IT'S GREAT.

Used to be 2 lanes......

Now 4 lanes!

Whoo!

And at some parts...6 lanes!

So great.

Wonderful!

And there's a new Mercedes Benz dealership!

And a beautiful Marriott Hotel!

Expansion!

6. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I heard from a friend that 59 would be called 69 in the future? is this true?

7. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

And the speed limit on Highway 69 is??????

Come on, someone knows this old joke.....

8. neXXes

neXXes Member

http://www.i69texas.org/

9. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Speaking of the Sugar Land area...I've been noticing a building going up by Hwy 6 and 59. Just the other day I saw they put a friggin' fancy smancy Marriott sign on it! Wow...who woulda thought Sugar Land would be what it is today.

10. SLA

SLA Member

And a Mercedes-Benz dealership right next to it. ;) Plus TWO ChuckECheese's. And First Colony Mall! And Jared's Jewelry and SUPER TARGET! :eek: Also GLADIATORS.

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

What was Sugarland? A Sugar Cane Farm?

12. SLA

SLA Member

SUGAR LAND, TEXAS. Sugar Land is on Oyster Creek and U.S. Highway 90A, east of the Brazos River and seven miles northeast of Richmond in northeastern Fort Bend County. The area was originally granted to Samuel M. Williamsqv in 1828 for his service as secretary to Stephen F. Austin.qv Nathaniel F. Williamsqv purchased the land from his brother in 1838, and there he and a third brother, Matthew R. Williams, operated Oakland Plantation, which grew cotton, corn, and sugarcane. The Williams brothers established their raw-sugar mill in 1843. In 1853 Oakland Plantation was purchased by Benjamin F. Terryqv and William J. Kyle,qv who were instrumental in extending the Buffalo Bayou, Brazos and Colorado Railway through the property. A post office was established in Sugar Land in 1858. After the deaths of Terry in 1861 and Kyle in 1864 the plantation began to languish. The post office was closed in 1886. E. H. Cunningham of San Antonio accumulated more than 12,000 acres of the property over time and invested more than $1 million in a sugar refinery, a new raw-sugar mill, a paper mill, and the fourteen-mile Sugar Land Railroad in the 1890s. Sugar Land was one of the rail stations. In 1890 a second post office opened. At that time much of the labor force was leased from the nearby state prison farms. The inmates worked in the wet sugarcane fields, many falling victim to the periodic epidemics of fevers. The brutal working conditions caused bitter convicts to call Sugar Land the "Hell hole on the Brazos."

In 1892 the town had one physician and a population of 500. From 1906 to 1908 Isaac H. Kempner of Galveston and William T. Eldridgeqv of Eagle Lake acquired the Ellis and Cunningham plantations and the Cunningham Sugar Company, modernized the facilities, and made the community a company town for the Imperial Sugar Company,qv the Sugarland Industries, and Sugar Land Railroad (Missouri Pacific). By 1914 the population had dropped to 200, but the number of businesses had increased to include a paper manufacturer and a bank. In 1919 the interests were managed by Sugarland Industries, which operated the farm and ranch and mercantile interests. In 1913 the sugar company built 8½ miles of levee, along with twenty miles of drainage ditches, to keep the Brazos River from flooding Sugar Land. Between 1917 and 1928 dredging of the many shallow pools, lakes, creeks, and Oyster Creek reclaimed acreage to provide necessary drainage and more farmland. The last sugarcane crop in Fort Bend County was harvested in 1928. Plant disease and the high federal protective tax on cane sugar ended local cane farming, and thereafter raw sugar was imported for the refinery. In 1925 the population was listed at 1,000; four years later that figure had expanded to 2,500. With the Great Depressionqv the town lost residents, and in 1936 population was registered at 1,500, where it remained through the 1940s. In 1946 the Kempner family became sole owners of the town. By 1956 some 2,285 people called Sugar Land home. The town was incorporated in 1959, a year after Imperial Sugar and Sugarland Properties, Incorporated, also owned by the Kempner family, began selling the businesses, homes, and land for development. T. E. Harmon was the first mayor. By 1964 the population had increased to 3,100. In 1970 the town listed 3,499 citizens and twenty-eight businesses. In 1980 it had 4,173 residents and ninety-five businesses. Spurred by development from nearby Houston, the population had climbed in 1988 to 14,898, and businesses numbered 423. In 1989 the population was 19,874. In 1990 it was 24,529. See also PRISON SYSTEM.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Margaret S. Henson, Samuel May Williams: Early Texas Entrepreneur (College Station: Texas A&M University Press, 1976). Andrew Jackson Sowell, History of Fort Bend County (Houston: Coyle, 1904; rpt, Richmond, Texas: Fort Bend County Historical Museum, 1974). Clarence Wharton, Wharton's History of Fort Bend County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1939).

Bettye J. Anhaiser

"SUGAR LAND, TX." The Handbook of Texas Online. <http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/view/SS/hfs10.html> [Accessed Mon May 26 16:03:20 US/Central 2003 ].

God! I love the city of Sugar Land! No more traffic!

13. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Does it really matter? In Houston its constant never-ending road construction. Basically, they will find another highway/road to tear up or expand to make your life a living hell commuting again. Before its all said and done, the entire city of Houston will eventually be one huge concrete slab.

I wonder if zoning would have helped the city out with traffic woes and asthetic values if it would have been required years and years ago?

14. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Don't get me started...

15. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

urban sprawl is the decline of human civilization

16. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

alot of Houston roads from what Ive seen are f*cked up..... There needs some be alot of fixes and there needs to be more reflectors put on the roads. When its raining and the road is flooded, You cant see which lane you're in. Very dangeros on those freeways.

17. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

You hit the nail on the head on that one...we need more stripes and reflectors!

18. surrender

surrender Member

59 from Humble to Downtown is amazing. Incredibly wide highway, relatively low traffic, and the scenery isn't as horrid as 45.

I'm stuck in the worst place, commute-wise: halfway between 249 and 45 on 1960. 1960 traffic is terrible all over, but especially near Willowbrook Mall. Traveling to San Antonio is strange: it takes 3 hours for my family to get there, and 1 hour is spent getting from our house to I-10.

19. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I sorta live out by that area. I try to avoid that mall/area as much as I can.

20. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I cracked up when I saw a sign for Sugar Land's new city hall near First Colony Mall. I guess most people think of the 59 and 6 intersection when they think of Sugar Land, but I always think of the Imperial Sugar Factory on 90A (I believe the old city hall is close by).