1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

5 Tall NBA Players With or Who Had Short Parents

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Antimony, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Antimony

Antimony New Member

http://hubpages.com/sports/Tall-NBA-Players-With-or-Who-Had-Relatively-Short-Parents

I really don't understand how these players got to be so tall when their parents were short. I understand that you inherit some of your genes from your grandparents but growing to 7'1 when your parents are barely 5'9 is outrageous. Either their mums cheated on their Dads unknowingly or they took growth hormones at some point. What do you think?

2. mig0s

mig0s Member

I know it might sound crazy but a lot of my friends and/or kids I know grew like crazy when they started playing basketball.

I believe that there is a direct correlation between growth and time spent playing basketball

3. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

There's a misconception that 100% of your height is determined by genes. That is just simply not true.
    Your genes account for the biggest portion I believe, however diet and sleep levels between birth and 18 years old also play a factor.

I'm just going by my experience with my family. I'm a very short guy, only 5'5". My mother is very short, 5'0". My dad is about 5'11", so quite tall for an average person (short for basketball though).

Now, I have cousins on my mother's side who both parents are very short, yet they are much taller than me. About 5'10". All my other cousins are as short as me though.

One thing I noticed with this particular family, their parents were always strict on their sleeping times, while me and other short cousinshad parents who were relaxed about sleeping times when we were children.

Anyway, that's my experience, and where I get this belief from.

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Dear science,

You got anything to add to this?

5. ickaruto

ickaruto Member

6'3" isn't very tall...

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

growth hormones can get you an extra foot of height?

7. Antimony

Antimony New Member

6'3 puts you in the top 2.5% of the US population. I agree that it is not particularly tall by NBA standards.

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Yep. I believe Messi would have 4'7" without HGH. Now he is 5'6"

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

Daaamn. What are the side effects? I'm not particularly tall, but would be nice if someday I have a kid that I can give him some HGH so he can be taller like my idol Jerry Lin. But I imagine it would involve high costs for the doctor and the supplement.

10. CertifiedTroll

11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I'm not a doc breh but here you go

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/human-growth-hormone-hgh#1

Jontro likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Defying the genes

13. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

[​IMG]

Antimony likes this.
  14. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I'm 6'2'' and my parents are both 5'3''. The only surprising ones here are 3 and 4. A lot of the variation in Asian second generation kids is due to nutrition - all my cousins in my generation are 6 feet and taller, and all our parents are under 6 feet. I suspect Jeremy Lin's case is similar. Muresan had a pituitary tumor which explains his variation. Jordan's parents weren't that short. His height probably falls under the random normal variation, but at the extreme of what one would expect with parents of that height.

15. Antimony

Antimony New Member

His two sons are very tall for their age. His 16 year old son is already 6'8 and his 13 year old son is already 6'1. His wife is 6'1 so that explains this.
    I am sure Muresan would have been 6' max without the pituitary problem considering the height of his parents.
    [​IMG]

16. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Seems like a lot of tail mail men in their areas were running the block

17. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

You might be right, I'm certainly not an expert on Muresan's growth chart haha.

18. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Slightly unrelated but I haven't thought about Muresan in years, he had a monster year in 95-96. 15/10, PER 21, 25% DRB.