1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

#5 Starter Competition

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jan 16, 2014.

?

Who will be the 5th starter?

1. Dallas Keuchel

30.8%
  2. Lucas Harrell

30.8%
  3. Asher Wojciechowski

30.8%
  4. Anthony Bass

3.8%
  5. Alex White

3.8%
  6. Rudy Owens

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Paul Clemens

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Raúl Valdés

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Collin McHugh

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other, please name

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

This is an attempt to try to ignite a little roster discussion heading into the spring. Yes, I'm tired of no baseball.

The first 4 spots in the rotation should be pretty secure, with any order of Scott Feldman (my favorite to be the Opening Day starter), Brett Oberholtzer, Jarred Cosart, and Brad Peacock. The only question is... who's going to occupy that final spot in the rotation?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Candidates for Astros' rotation in '14: Feldman, Cosart, Obie, Keuchel, Peacock, Harrell, Wojo, White, Owens, P. Clemens.</p>&mdash; Brian McTaggart (@brianmctaggart) <a href="https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/statuses/409016271242395649">December 6, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Keuchel and Harrell are the known commodities on the major league roster, and the majority of their time in Houston has been spent in the rotation. So, you could say that they have a leg up on the competition. However, that competition looks to be rather stout. Although I said that Harrell would probably be the 5th starter in another thread, I'm starting to lean more towards Keuchel. Despite the poor numbers, his peripherals were rather encouraging.

Here are the other contenders (in my opinion) for that final rotation spot.

Asher Wojciechowski
    [​IMG]

Acquired in the J.A. Happ deal, Wojo dominated Corpus before spending the rest of the season in OKC, where he was solid, if unspectacular.

Anthony Bass
    [​IMG]

Acquired from the Padres for Rule 5 pick Patrick Schuster, Bass made 15 starts for the Padres in 2012 and has an extensive resumé as a starter in the minors.

Alex White
    [​IMG]

White succumbed to Tommy John surgery last year, and I'm wondering if he'll be at full strength to begin the spring.

Rudy Owens
    [​IMG]

Owens missed much of last season with a foot problem, but made up for lost time with a strong showing in the Dominican Winter League.

Paul Clemens
    [​IMG]

Clemens spent his rookie season as a reliever, but his final 5 appearances of last season were starts, and he had 2 quality starts in those 5.

Others who could factor in the battle

Raúl Valdés
    [​IMG]

Claimed off waivers from the Phillies, Valdés made 14 starts at Triple-A, 1 more in Philly, and 8 more in the Dominican. However, he's only made 3 starts at the major league level, and his results as a starter in Triple-A have largely been middling. Waiver-wire steal, or is he a guy better suited for middle relief?

Collin McHugh
    [​IMG]

Another waiver claim, McHugh has had a fine track record in the minors, but hasn't been able to put it together in the majors.

The players above are on the 40-man roster. If you don't feel that any of them would be viable options, then what about the non-roster invitees from within the system?

Jake Buchanan
    [​IMG]

Jake Buchanan and Dallas Keuchel are spitting images of each other. But they throw with different hands.

Nick Tropeano
    [​IMG]

Tropeano was up-and-down last year, as poor showings in May and June really hampered him. His strikeout rate dipped as well, but his walk rate also decreased slightly. Could he be one of the first reinforcements in 2014?

Bobby Doran
    [​IMG]

2 years removed from a disastrous season in Lancaster, Doran ended up having the best season of his career and could be on the cusp of making his major league debut.

Crazier things have happened, but I'm fairly confident that Mike Foltynewicz and Mark Appel will not be factors in this race. That is, unless one of them absolutely mows down everything in sight.

#1 tellitlikeitis, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  2. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

If Harrell preforms well in Spring Training then I think he'll get the ball. If he doesn't then I hope Asher Wojciechowski gets a shot.

However, there won't be much of a debate when Peacock gets moved down to the 5th spot to make room for Tanaka :)

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It will come down to Harrell or Keuchel. I think Harrell will win the spot. If for no other reason than Keuchel could be a 2nd lefty out of the pen.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Dallas Keuchel is the man to beat.

Asher Wojciechowski would be my dark house choice.

Alex White and Rudy Owens were hurt last year, so I expect both of them to start the season in AAA.

Paul Clemens should start the season as the bullpen's long reliever and the spot starter.

Given the number of candidates, Luhnow may surprise and use a 6 man rotation, just like he did to end the last season.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I am hoping for Woj. He throws strikes and has good control of his fastball. There is concern that his off speed pitches aren't there, but in the minors he didn't seem to get hit very hard.

6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

A real murderer's row right there.

7. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Yea, unfortunately its a bunch of potential 4's and 5's fighting for the 5th spot. No real upside players in that bunch.

8. vince

vince Member

I vote for Woji.

It seems he's ready to show what he's got. He's not needing more seasoning in the minors.

If anything, he could really put some pressure on Cosart, Obi, and Peacock. Because when Appel, Folty, Rodon, McCullers, Vasquez start making major strides to the big leagues, there won't be a lot of room for slightly above average starting pitchers on the staff.

I think the majority of Astros fans are really excited about the following starting rotation.

1. Rodon - A lefty with best slider in all of baseball already.
    2. Appel - a complete arsenal pitcher (concensus # 1pick 2 years running).
    3. Folty - sport his 100+ fastball and learning to pitch.
    4. McCullers - has shown he can really be a starting pitcher.
    5. Vasquez - showing he is a complete pitcher (rising up the prospect list)

Which would mean that trading the current crop of starters for top level lower level prospects is going to secure a talented stability for the next decade.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Harrell has shown MLB success, so I give him first crack. Attrition or ineffectiveness will lead to starts, and Keuchel will be first man up. This could be flipped depending on ST results.

White is recovering from Tommy John so I don't see him as a factor until mid-season, same with Woj. Buchanan, Clemens and Owens will have to fight for the scraps, but as Obie showed last year if you take advantage of your chances you will get more.

Nitro and Doran are gonna have to have success at OKC before I would consider them. Could both be late season factors, but there's a line in front of them.

I really wouldn't mind using a tandem system for the 5th spot. Really no stand outs, but a bunch of guys I would like to see.