1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

45 threes .. Only 5 from the corner

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Feb 27, 2017.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Look , a standard line is to say that this is moreyball and that 3>2 , but DM is smart enough to know that only applies at certain percentage thresholds .

While giving your shooters a vote of confidence to shoot is nice and all , there has to be more method to the madness . Because it just adds too much variance to the game .. And when your talent is as good as ours you only want that against the very best teams .

How the hell did we only generate 5 corner 3's ? Anderson took 10 , so I guess that pretty much accounts for 10 given that he doesn't play in the corner much . Where did the other 30 come from ? Harden jacked a few . But beyond that I mean WTF .

The 3 is an incredible weapon , but we had too much hubris tonight and took it for granted .

The level of execution in the first 4 minutes was great , and after that we ****ed around the rest of the game . Totally irresponsible play and coaching .

2. basketballholic

Would love to know how many off Hardens attempts tonight were pull ups. He is terrible at them (<30%) and normally jacks 5-7 of them a game.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

We don't run plays. We have guys spotting up 28 feet from the basket and just letting it fly when they get the ball.

We need to focus more on penetration and sinking the defense in to get good three point looks. Make the defense work harder to defend you.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

That's the frustrating thing , we DO run plays . Our pick and roll with Ryan at the wing , Clint going to the hole and bev and trev in the corner is lethal .

Absolutely agree we need more penetration . I think we have the plays and the players to do it , but it was not executed tonight .

We do do a bit of chucking . And I don't mind it as long as its auxiliary to the main plays and offense. It's a huge pressure if our guys are hot . The problem is that we didn't run the offense and get into a rhythm to then be able to let it fly . We had absolutely no patience after the first few minutes . Gordon was a particularly bad offender tonight . I'd be willing to bet most of the 3's that Lou missed were also of this type .

5. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

u didn't just shoot 3p to win,u should just understood when to shoot 3p and to score

6. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

He takes 6.6 pull up 3s a game. Makes 32.9%
    Harden only has 2.2 catch and shoot 3s a game. 40.5%.

Harden takes 0.5 threes when guarded very tight (0-2 feet) 33.3%
    Harden takes 4.1 threes when guarded tight (2-4 feet) 34.1%
    Harden takes 3.6 threes when he's open (4-6 feet). 36.4%
    Harden takes 0.9 threes when wide open (6+ feet) 38.5%

rm365 likes this.
  7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Agree that it's not the most efficient shot . But I wouldn't want him to stop them altogether . Maybe shoot like 1.5 less a game (of the pull up ones)

The reason for this is that the threat of the three opens up how drive . If James never took a pill up three then defenders would always play off him . Because he can and does shoot , defenders have to play closer which means he can get by them more frequently

8. basketballholic

Ummmmmmmmm, opponents are already playing off him and enticing him to take that shot. And he's falling for it.

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Is it to do with his conditioning? I can't believe the amount of times he settles for an ill advised jacked up 3. He just needs to take it to the rim or at least get inside and go for the mid range which was bread and butter during the 14/15 season

Stormy1234 likes this.