1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

4.5 mil trade exception: tradeable commodity?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ROXTXIA, Jun 5, 2000.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Sorry to re-hash this topic, but if someone who's in the know (cap-ologist) would answer for me (or someone who remembers from previous threads)...
    Is the trade exception a tradeable commodity? That is, could we include it in a trade (say #9 pick + trade exception + Orlando pick = #5 pick from Orlando?) Can we trade the exception, and can we trade it to a team under the cap? Can Orlando draft a player for us knowing they can get that trade exception from us, which would help them land a player like McGrady or Eddie Jones? If so, it seems something we should pursue. If not, well, it was a nice dream.
    (Of course, this all depends on whether Orlando thinks they have a shot at certain players, using the exception we could give them: i.e., signing one superstar, then signing and trading Mercer and a pick using the exception so that they could land a second top player).
    I was just curious, I don't remember if a definite answer was given the first time this topic was pursued. Anyone?

------------------

2. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

No, you can't trade the exception. If a team is over the cap and we use our exception, then the other team would be trading down and they would be eligible for a trade exception equal to the amount that they traded down. If a team is under the cap, they are not eligible for a trade exception.

------------------

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

In a manner of speaking, it is a tradeable commodity, because anytime you use it, it indeed transfers to the other team except for the following situations:

1. if the other team is already under the cap,

2. if a BYC player is involved, the salary matching effect of the exception tends to get "spent".

I can explain that more if you'd like.

btw: in the immortal words of Popeye, "I have confirmed this with several reputable sources."

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited June 06, 2000).]

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Thanks for the information. I think that sums it up well. Not that I really thought we could use it in the Orlando scenario that I imagined; Orlando can easily trade up to #1 or #2 with all those picks they have, and that's more a sure thing than hoping after the draft that Duncan, Hill, McGrady, Jones, whoever, might want to help the Magic become the Lakers East.

------------------

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If the trade exception is used with a team under the cap, it is better than transfered.

The team under the cap has more cap space. Therefore it can be used to sign FA and trade instead of just trade.

Orlando would have to send garbage to rocs to get more cap space.

------------------
    "You've got 6 fouls, use them well" -Derrick Coleman

6. heypartner

bingo

I was waiting for that, but didn't want to get in an argument with aelliott.

The trade exception does not transfer as an "exception" to below-the-cap teams, but it does trade as salary cap space.

Fact is: using the exception ALWAYS means the other team is trading down, except for BYC situations. Even still, some of it can still "transfer".

Way to go Joe Joe!!!

Is this BBS ready yet to believe my month old claim that the Trade Exception is nearly as valuable as Cap Space, and arguably as valuable when you consider the CBA is geared for trades while closing cap space loop holes.

I'm ready!!!

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited June 08, 2000).]

7. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

heheheheh- yeeeesss. It's very exciting, isn't it, HP? Yeeeessss. Makes you think of all sorts of... possibilities, doesn't it? Don't you want to.... pontificate? Extrapolate? Speculate?

MMMMMWWAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

[This message has been edited by Nolen (edited June 08, 2000).]

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

HP,
    I mentioned that a while back as a side in another post when y'all were discussing it in one of the en fuego topics.

Your original post on its transferability opens many possibilitities. It is a loophole to the salary cap. It ain't worth much unless circumstances make it worth something.

1)Facititates simple trades like trading picks for players.

2)Get a good backup, from a team needing space for a star, for a second rd pick. Would you trade Doleac if it allowed you to sign Eddie Jones?

3)Team A and B are trying to make a trade but can't fit the salaries. Team C with exception goes we'll take on some salary for some picks kind of like Orlando in the Francis deal, but they had cap space.

4)Keep it and it will help get under cap

5)Team D is trying to sign FA from Team E. Team D needs space and contacts team C about taking on salary. Team E outbids Team D for exception. Team D can't sign player.

Watch the rockets are going to trade Drew and rogers for an arbitrary pick in the year 2025 and get the exception up to 7 million. I bet Orlando would be very interested then.

------------------

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

My head is spinning, I think I got the wrong mushrooms on my pizza.

Mommy????

DaDakota

Trade exception, we don't need no stupid trade exception.

------------------

10. heypartner

Joe Joe,

you are indeed making my head spin.

All you really have to understand is how the trade exception helps the holder of the exception.

That is clear...right?!

The next thing to understand is that when the team that holds it, uses it, the OTHER team now gets it, as thus is has a the valuable commodity that we just used. Now they get to have a bbs like cc.net where they get to talk about how valuable their trade exception is and how they can trade cato and drew for duncan..

Am I really the only person on the entire internet that understands this.

Joe Joe, I have to tell you, the authors of the CBA FAQ have concurred that this is true and no one else has ever viewed this way....but that doesn't mean CD isn't smart enought to see it.

Here is a prediction: by the end of the summer either the Houston Chronicle or the newpaper of the city that we trade with will report how the trading team now has an exception.

please,,,,anyone out there get it??? aelliott doesn't quite, yet.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

HP,

I must have been not very articulate in my last post.

I meant to say it only has value if other teams realize its usefulness. I then listed a few possible scenarios that make it valuable.

Sorry for me no time take to wrote post.

------------------

12. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

please,,,,anyone out there get it??? aelliott doesn't quite, yet.

What's not to get? Did you read my first post in this thread?

Here's a quote:
    "If a team is over the cap and we use our exception, then the other team would be trading down and they would be eligible for a trade exception equal to the amount that they traded down"

How does that conflict with what you said? The difference for me is that I don't believe that teams are going to make us ridiculously good trade offers just to get an exception.

------------------

13. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

"It ain't worth much unless circumstances make it worth something...Team D is trying to sign FA from Team E. Team D needs space and contacts team C about taking on salary. Team E outbids Team D for exception. Team D can't sign player."

I am not exactly sure what you are saying. But it seems to me that every team that wants to sign a free agent this summer but doesn't have enough cap space would be interested in our $4.5 million exception... That makes it a valuable commodity.

For example Orlando want's to sign Grant Hill and Tim Duncan this summer. They have enough cap space to sign one of them but not enough to sign both. So in order to get more cap space they trade us a player and their 10th pick for our $4.5 million exception. They get Tim and Grant and they are ecstatic and we get Bo Outlaw and we aaren't too upset. It's hypothetical but I am willing to bet we pickup a good player this summer and part of the deal includes our trade exception.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Old Man Rock (edited June 10, 2000).]