1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

3rd Attempt: GOP/Trump Repeal & Replace ACA and Trump lie about pre-exist coverage

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Apr 30, 2017.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm not so sure. I think they can say that they would to use that as an excuse, but nothing I've seen or heard makes me think they could bridge their differences if they could just use a bigger chainsaw on the bill.

2. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

There's a Trump quote for everything lol lol lol lol

B-Bob and MadMax like this.
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Far be it from me to advise Trump how to be president... but if he were to meet with Schumer and McConnell, or the two of them and Ryan and Pelosi, he could really make it appear that its now Democrats that are on the line for a working solution. Sure might work better than blaming them when they are in the minority and couldn't pass a bill with just democrat votes.

I know... an adult approach. One that a businessman who valued economics not emotions might take.

4. what

what Member

The problem is that the only solution they come up with is to give one amendment to the middle class, the provision NOT to mandate insurance, while the rest of the bill is meant to line the pockets of the rich.

The problem that the republicans have is that most of their constitutients are no longer middle class, and they look a lot more like democrats. But even in the face of that, they were ready to enter lock step into this agreement. Which says a lot about them.

5. Bob Barker 007

At this point, I don't care if it's Republicans or Democrats, just come up with something better than what we have. The Obamacare system has collapsed, and the Republicans can't do anything right to fix it. I'm a young person who was dumped off my parents' plan, and I'm paying nearly $400/month to get basically no coverage. My parents had to switch plans, and now they are paying 1.5 times what they were paying for like a 1/4 of the coverage as before. Regardless of the intent of Obamacare, it has overflowed the high-risk pool, raising the costs for insurance companies. Most of them have left the exchange rather than take on the costs to provide proper coverage, or they have passed the cost down to the insured. As premiums have increased, the low-risk insurance pool has to take on all of the cost. But why should the people with a low risk profile be forced to suffer the cost burden? Rather than take on the burden, many are just abandoning health insurance and paying the penalty. Affordable Care Act? Yeah, not in the slightest. I would do anything to get a pre-Obamacare plan.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Individual anecdotal cases can definitely pluck the emotional strings. I'm sure your emotional strings would be plucked by the explcit tangible ways that the ACA has allowed loved ones to extend their lives.

But at the end of the day, emperically in states that have fully embraced the ACA like Massachusetts the average premiums increase( premiums have increased for decades) rate has decreased or in other words the second time derivative of premiums have decreased.

Also your anecdote doesn't make logical sense in that one of the larger complaints about the ACA is that healthy people are paying more for MORE coverage they THINK they will never need. I mean that's one of the major provisions of ACA regulation in that it forces insurance companies to cover more.

The number one cause of bankruptcies for American families is unaffordable out of pocket medical expenses. Is it a mere coinsidence that years after the ACA we have a record low of bankruptcy filings by Americans due to medical costs?

The problem with anecdotes is that they aren't credible and since your story doesn't even follow the logic of common ACA compalints, I just don't believe you yet.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Prior to the ACA - you would have been on your own off your parents plan at age 19 rather than at age 26.

You would rather have had that?

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think we would be better off with a republican skinny repeal. Just let the whole thing collapse maybe we can finally get a single payer system. If you make all these outs for people you are just going to have a very expensive premiums for people who are still in the system. Also hospitals are forced to treat it if you are sick so the country as a whole is still paying.

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Is there any chance that McCain's recommendation could come to pass now?

(from last night, via CBS reporting)
    Congress should "return to the correct way of legislating and send the bill back to committee, hold hearings, receive input from both sides of aisle, heed the recommendations of nation's governors, and produce a bill that finally delivers affordable health care for the American people."

Would that really be so ****ing painful for our legislative representatives? Probably. Would take real leadership from the Turtle.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  11. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Take out the middle man for-profit Insurance companies

12. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

That would be amazing if it happens. If GOP come up with a single payer plan, what would liberal leaning voters on this bbs do? Would you vote for GOP?

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Hmmm... None of my legislators are Republicans in Congress so I wouldn't have that option.

I could never vote for Two Scoops, even if he miraculously transformed into a leader who could work constructively for the American people, just based on his 18 months of nonstop lies and his six months of brutality toward the office of the POTUS.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Who cares? There is literally no chance of this happening.

But why would you switch your vote to the Republicans for supporting something that the Democrats were on the right side of all along - that seems like a perverse bit of incentivizing as a game theory matter.

15. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Because it will not get done without GOP support.

16. Bob Barker 007

I'm not even 26. I'm 22. If I was off my parent's plan at 19, I would have been on the UT Student plan or would have just found a cheaper option. It's not much different than where I am at now.

17. Major

Major Member

Oh realistically, I totally agree - they just have too many internal differences. But at least in theory, it would free them up to develop a more creative solution. Right now, they are constrained to working within tweaks of Obamacare. I could see them coming up with a new, moderate framework in concept. If the centrists develop it, you've got them on board. And since it scraps Obamacare, the far right could get on board even if it's not ideal for them because they can say they repealed Obamacare.

If I were the GOP and only needed 50 votes on a start-from-scratch healthcare system, and my primary goal was Obamacare repeal, I'd ask Collins, Murkowski, Heller, and Cassidy to come up with something and see where that took me. Unfortunately for them, they'd need 60 votes right now for that.

18. Major

Major Member

Are the millions of people that suffer in the meantime just collateral damage to you?

19. Bob Barker 007

I would argue that the individual market runs differently, and that is how I have had to obtain insurance. Premiums in the individual market have increased quite a bit in the last two years.

This stands in sharp contrast to the individual insurance market, where the requirements imposed by Obamacare are similar. There, premiums have gone up significantly in the last year, because it appears that initially, insurers misjudged the population who would buy individual insurance, says Sabrina Corlette, a professor who researches health insurance at Georgetown University. "In the individual market there is evidence emerging there was serious under-pricing in the first few years," she says. The correction that began last year continued with steep premium hikes for 2017. According to the National Federation of Independent Business (which opposes Obamacare). 41 percent of business owners buy their own insurance rather than get coverage through a group policy they buy for their employees.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I know it has the taint of the Clinton name but we really need to go back and revisit the state association concept from the 1993 Clinton plan. Among other things in that bill, the Clinton plan merged the employer and individual markets into a single marketplace for each state. That meant a single market in each state with a set of plans to choose from instead of our current split market and it meant true portability within each state. You could switch employers are go to the individual market and not change your plan.