1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3rd Attempt: GOP/Trump Repeal & Replace ACA and Trump lie about pre-exist coverage

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Apr 30, 2017.

1. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can someone in support of this bill some up their top reasons why with some specificity? Genuinely curious - not trying to be sarcastic.

2. Major

Major Member

Can you find any of 150+ countries in the world that has a successful health care system modeled on your theoretical principles? Do you actually have any thoughts of your own, or are you only capable of retweeting things that you often don't even understand?

3. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

1) Any bill that reduces subsidies (which is basically yours and mine tax dollars) given to people who could and should otherwise be finding a job that offers employer-provided coverage is a win in my book. It should not be my responsibility to pay so that lazy or unmotivated people can either not work or stay in a dead-end job that doesn't offer insurance. If you're able to work, you should not be getting subsidies for health insurance, period. If you're disabled or retired, then you should be getting assistance from Medicaid in the former case or Medicare in the latter.

2) Lowers the deficit, by some accounts up to $321 billion over the next decade. At some point we have to begin paying back the debt that exploded during the Obama presidency.

3) With less government involvement and regulation and cross-state competition, premiums should come down. My pre-2010 employer provided plan was far cheaper and covered far more than my current plan. Responsible people like myself got screwed by Obama & Pelosi so that irresponsible people could gain coverage on our dime.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Who are you directing this attack towards? The people choosing to gamble and not purchasing insurance? Hopefully not people with pre-existing conditions. And btw, pushing more people into Medicaid and Medicare? You do realize that the republican plan is to cut those?

Reducing the deficit is a worthy goal. Wouldn't it be better to target some other areas to cut spending and reduce the deficit?

This hasn't proven out in the past. And again, who are the irresponsible people you are blaming?

5. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I'm referencing the able-bodied poor who choose to either not work or to remain in jobs that do not offer employer-provided health insurance. I know quite a few of them and they are experts at leaching off the taxpayers.

As for Medicaid and Medicare, I never advocated pushing more people into those programs. Those programs should continue but the Medicaid expansion that occurred under Obamacare should be rolled back. Medicaid should only be available for those who are both indigent and disabled. And Medicare should continue serving those of retirement age as-is.

6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Have you ever lived in the shoes of the people you are talking about?

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Would you care to post any studies about how what percentage of people on Medicaid are currently cheating the system?

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Senate vote postponed because they don't have the votes to pass. Lol, again, at Republicans (it is a sort of gallows humor though because Republican failure means a prolonged period of intentional political sabotage of the existing health insurance system).

Thanks for being responsive to @SC1211. Not a rebuttal, just some comments:
    1. Ideally, people should not be dependent on employers to have health insurance, any more than they should be dependent on the government. Ideally, we are all making our own choices in a robust marketplace.

2. Agreed that the deficit should be addressed. I wonder if the function that keeps people alive and healthy is really the place we really want to start exercising tough fiscal discipline. Maybe we can start with the foreigner-killing function, or the pretending-to-be-secure function, or the prestige-inflation function?

3. Maybe government regulation adds some cost to health insurance. But, our healthcare cost problems didn't start in 2010. That was the country's foremost concern when they passed Obamacare in the first place. I don't see why you'd expect any significant cost benefit from this change. (Also, I don't think cross-state marketing is on the table with the current Trumpcare. I don't even see how it could be possible given how much deference the strategy gives to the states.)

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  9. NewRoxFan

These able bodied people wouldn't happen to drive to their doctor visits in Cadillacs would they? Or is that just food stamp and welfare people?

Seriously, if there is a huge number of these "lazy" but "able-bodied" people "leaching off taxpayers", if you take away affordable health care insurance, where do you think they will go for health treatment? Maybe hospital ERs? And who is paying for those more expensive forms of medical care?

And... where are you including people with pre-existing condition that had been prevented from buying health insurance?

But you are missing the point... the republican plan has always been to reduce/eliminate medicare and medicaid...

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

With these facile assumptions about the poor, it's no wonder a legislative abomination like Trumpcare finds support.

Deckard likes this.
  11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Funny part is that even though Republicans despise the poor, so many of them vote Republican based on bigotry, culture, etc.

12. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

GOP have mastered the art of getting many poor people to vote against their self interest.

CometsWin likes this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

Medicare will bankrupt this country much faster than ACA. Approximately 65% of baby boomers are obese and the baby boomers underfunded their public retirement at every level.

14. NewRoxFan

Politifact on Trump white house tweet... and good news for Trump and his supporters, getting something even as a half-truth is an improvement.

White House tweets misleading criticism of CBO analysis
    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...hite-house-criticism-cbo-analysis-misleading/

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Any Trump apologist or supporters think that Trump is capable of doing this:

Obama spent an hour and a half with 100 GOP legislators debating the nuances of the ACA and other policies.

My god how far has the presidency fallen?

Donald Trump would come through as a idiot with a ****ing 9 minute softball interview with Fox News in regards to the AHCA.

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, but people purposefully chose Trump because he didn't understand what he was talking about and doing. Somehow for some voters people who actually understand how govt. works meant they were elitist and couldn't be trusted. Trump had the government understanding of a 6th grader with a C- in social studies. To them that meant he was real and had the same understanding of government that they did, so they hoped it meant he would come at the problems facing our nation the same way they would.

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

good song from Remy

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A typical post from you, proudly holding your ignorance up like a trophy for all to see. I sincerely hope that someday you can fill the shoes of those you despise, with all respect due. In closing, I give you the words of one of my favorite songs from Nobel Prize winner Bob Dylan:

Positively 4th Street

You've got a lotta nerve to say you are my friend
    When I was down you just stood there grinnin'
    You've got a lotta nerve to say you got a helping hand to lend
    You just want to be on the side that's winnin'
    You say I let you down, ya know its not like that
    If you're so hurt, why then don't you show it?
    You say you've lost your faith, but that's not where its at
    You have no faith to lose, and ya know it
    I know the reason, that you talked behind my back
    I used to be among the crowd you're in with
    Do you take me for such a fool, to think I'd make contact
    With the one who tries to hide what he don't know to begin with?
    You see me on the street, you always act surprised
    You say "how are you?", "good luck", but ya don't mean it
    When you know as well as me, you'd rather see me paralyzed
    Why don't you just come out once and scream it
    No, I do not feel that good when I see the heartbreaks you embrace
    If I was a master thief perhaps I'd rob them
    And tho I know you're dissatisfied with your position and your place
    Don't you understand, its not my problem?
    I wish that for just one time you could stand inside my shoes
    And just for that one moment I could be you
    Yes, I wish that for just one time you could stand inside my shoes
    You'd know what a drag it is to see you

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

our future in a single payer/VA style system

resist it

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yes, let's give experimental treatment to the one baby with a rare genetic disease who is brain damaged and on life support so that we can't save the thousands who will die without health care coverage.

You're such an ignorant scumbag.