1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3pt defense is a major concern

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Apr 27, 2019.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

This is a fair point. The Jazz bricked a ridiculous amount of open shots because they suck. Curious what adjustments we will make in round 2.

saleem and Tfor3 like this.
  3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I felt like we put an emphasis on over helping Gobert and Favors to allow no lobs. I think it might be by design to take away Lobs vs guarding 3's

topfive, Hakeemtheking and napalm06 like this.
  4. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I can pretty much guarantee you that leaving guys like Rubio wide open was part of the defensive game plan.

I'm pretty sure they're not going to use the same strategy against Steph Curry.

YOLO, arno_ed, saleem and 12 others like this.
  5. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Agree, Some of them were mistakes, jazz offense moves well, has subpar shooters. But Korver did not get any.

Be prepared to see the same thing with Draymond, Iguodala, Mckinnie, Cook. We will make them beat us and activity level must be high so we can improve on the close outs, some never arrived and we need them all.

And Im not talking about fake effort high jump no defense close out, talking about real close outs

6. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Exactly.

7. BigBum

BigBum Member

Weakest point.

As the 26th best rebounding team, Rockets are better rebounding teams than Bulls, Cavs and Suns. at 17th, Knicks are better rebounding team than Rockets.

Nene and Faried have to focus on rebound, it's vital.

8. icewill36

icewill36 Member

when a team has as much firepower as the warriors, you are going to have to leave some guys open at times to focus on the likes of kd, steph, and klay. basically you are going to have to hope draymond, iggy, mckinnie and cook dont hit a high percentage. if their role players make shots then there is no beating them.

Tfor3 likes this.
  9. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

Defensive strategy.

And it paid off, Rubio for example made a couple but airballed when it mattered most.

Meanwhile I didn't see Korver or Mitchell get too many open looks.

Obviously different when you play GS, but I have this crazy theory that the Rockets are somewhat familiar with them.

10. rocketsmetalspd

Ha! If you don't know the team you are playing you deserve to lose. I am pretty sure the team D will be different for the Warriors. Rockets have proven in the past on how to play the Warriors and it requires attention and focus for 48 minutes on the D side of the ball, in order to defeat the Warriors. Rockets will be ready. I Believe!! H-Town Crazy!! Go Rockets!!

11. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

They are going to be so tired from defending us that their percentages are going way down- especially game 1 and 2 before the two week break :eek:

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

This might not be a case of blown assignments, but rather, playing down to the competition. Obviously, if it was Curry/Thompson hoisting those 3s instead of Crowder/Ingles, we'd be more inclined to contest.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You do know they were left open . . .. . some any way
    for a reason

Rocket Rive

topfive likes this.
  14. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Bingo. We took our chances with Crowder, Favors and O’Neale. They made a few but otherwise the percentages held up

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

Exactly. This is one time that stats only tell half the story: Sure, the Jazz had butt-tons of wide open looks, but that's because we were daring them to make a few, and they never took us up on the offer.

KD/Curry/Klay are only going to see those same shots if something goes drastically wrong.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Why does this even matter? Sure we need to rebound well against anyone, but something tells me we won't be seeing the Bulls/Cavs/Suns/Knicks again this season.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dan-Toni said as much - literally said that many of those open looks were by design

18. Nook

Nook Member

I want to say that last year the Rockets gave up an abnormally high number of “open” threes and teams just don’t typically convert.

19. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Reality with the Warriors is you have to pick your poison. You overplay Curry, Durant, and Klay on the outside and leave Draymond, Iggy, and others in hopes that they dont beat you (most of the time, they dont). So we'll probably still give up decent looks, but my guess is we wont be giving Steph or Klay open looks.

20. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Houston led the league in opponent 3pt FG% during the regular season.

That means the Rockets are the BEST at defending the 3.

One imagines that part of their strategy is to just let crappy shooters shoot. When you have Rubio and Sefolosha out there, you let them go for it.

Last season the Rockets were 10th best, so they have improved in this category. And then defend the 3 better on the road than at home.

hashmander and YOLO like this.