1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3 guard lineup quandary

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Jan 21, 2018.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Our unit with Gordon , Paul , and Harden is undoubtably one of our best . For sure , this trio has the best handling and scoring punch.

But that being said , I think it's a unit that has to be used sparingly and with caution . The reason is this .

When all of them are on the floor , none of them are resting . Part of the benefit of having both harden and Paul is that they can stay fresh .

I think that "maybe" when green and Ariza can come back , some of the minutes at the 2 can be taken by Luc or Gerald .

I just worry that MDA will love the offense of that lineup so much he will run it out there too much and that when we have only 2 of them on the floor , they won't be as fresh .

I just think that it's a great option to have , but am very weary that we might overuse it .

DonKnock likes this.
  2. rockpileindisma

We should consider bringing Gordon off the bench

bilaal14 and Batman Jones like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

It seems like D’antoni mainly uses it when it’s a close game in the 4th. It’s not like all 3 of them are out there on the court at the same time a ton throughout the game.

RocketsTerps, Mazulis and DonKnock like this.
  4. valorita

valorita Member

When all three of them are on the floor...
    None of them are resting.

Give this man a trophy.

Swiss Roll, Mazulis, bilaal14 and 6 others like this.
  5. alethios

alethios Member

Lineup of Death. They should fear us.

6. DJ

DJ Member

The only issue I have with this lineup is from a defensive standpoint during crunch time. When Luc Mbab a Moute was subbed out for Eric Gordon, I was a little worried about the matchup with Durant. Thankfully, we still won. But in general, what happens when we face the super tall or big wings? Gordon and Harden are too small to defend against Lebron, Durant, George. We could put one of them to guard a PF, but it puts us at a rebounding disadvantage

7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I knew I was on to something !!

D-rock likes this.
  8. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

This lineup is usually only used from the 4-5 min mark in the 4th. Last night when it was Luc, CP3, Harden, EGO and Capela a lot of positives were happening. Not many negatives, I feel this may be our best lineup for offense and maybe our 2nd best defense lineup.

Mazulis, Chamillionaire and DonKnock like this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think this is an END OF QUARTER/HALF lineup

Rocket River

DonKnock and seeingredtx like this.
  10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Oh for sure it's a great weapon .

I just don't trust Dantoni to only use this lineup late in the fourth .

I think he will use it if we fall behind . I think he will use it earlier than 5 min left in the 4th .

Last game he used it correctly and James had 34 , Chris had 35 , and Eric had 34 . If it's your best lineup , you are going to want to play it if you are falling behind . I can see a game coming where James and Chris play closer to 40 . Sure , we are playing better players more often and on the surface and for small amounts there is absolutely no downside .

I just think that with the forward depth we have now , id rather try to find 2 guys that are playing well and keep those guards fresh. You have green , Trevor , Luc , PJ , and Ryan to play 2 spots ( unless you go small and play them at the 5 ) . I don't want one of our guards to further cut into those minutes . I don't want those guys to take too many minutes at the 5 either because we have 3 capable C's

seeingredtx likes this.
  11. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

I think they went to that 3 guard line up so much because Ariza and Green were out

Mazulis likes this.
  12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Get Kember Walker. Now they can play 4 gourds or rest one gourd.

13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I had a thought guys, about the Harden/ Capela lob combo.
    When they are connecting on that lob play it means both players are on the court at the same time.

We need to be aware.

14. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Um. Ariza?

15. Chamillionaire

Yeah I really like Luc. He needs to get more minutes and maybe reduce Ariza's.

elmotsangtt and Mazulis like this.
  16. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

There definitely needs to be balance to the split minutes of those two

da_juice likes this.
  17. Soneca

Soneca Member

why are we taking conclusion out of a game where Ariza wasn't playing? Green will probably have 10 to 25 min per game depending on matchups and/or his shot being hot. So there you may have another 40 plus min of wing rotation. Ryno's and PJ min will be the more affected compared to these final 2 games, but IMO we'll see Gordon's minutes down to around 28 to 30 min, CP3's likely will stay ~ 32min, and Ariza's close to 30. James shouldn't play more than 35 in regular games. But Capela may average closer to 30 the remaining reg season, getting ready for the playoffs.

So there you go, plenty of time to rest them all, MDA likes short rotations but he's not Thibs, playing every one 40mins a night. We'll see how it goes from tonight, but I could bet we'll have a 10 man lineup:

CP3 - James
    James - Ego - Green
    Ariza - LMM - Green
    Ryno - PJ - Ariza
    Capela - Nene (Black when Nene's resting)

Unfortunately, we won't be able to use a 3 guard lineup to finish games until the Garbage Time Mamba is back with the team. We'll only have RJ Hunter and Markel Brown, so maybe we won't see Bobby Brown chucking and cutting in half 30 pt leads.