1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3 dead, officers wounded in Las Vegas shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HPD, Jun 8, 2014.

1. HPD

HPD Member

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-80444999/

Two armed suspects opened fire and wounded two Las Vegas police officers who were eating lunch in a pizza parlor, then shot and killed a civilian inside a nearby Wal-Mart store before killing themselves, police said.

Few additional details about the shooting were immediately available, city police spokeswomanLaura Meltzer told Reuters.

2. IBTL

IBTL Member

I am against laws but there should be a law where the name of the perpetrator(s) is not released in these rampage stupid random killings.

These loser murderers are the ultimate attention whores and the more the media continues to publicize them we will continue to see them.

Same way they don't release names of under 18 killers, don't release names and don't give these pieces of crap any attention.

Any media outlet that reports the name should be subject to the law too and shunned.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Glad the officers are OK. Heros

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I bet those guys' people skills were through the roof!!

5. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

The Sheriff just finished the press conference.
    Unfortunately both officers have died.
    The two suspects shot both officers and then went to the nearby Wal Mart
    shot and killed a customer coming out.
    Both suspects went in the Wal Mart. Once in, the female suspect shot her male companion and then shot herself.

Both officers were eating lunch at the time.

Prayers to the officers families. :(

6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Damn. God bless their families.

7. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/las-vegas/shooters-carried-arsenal-supplies-sunday-rampage

Shooters carried arsenal, supplies into Sunday rampage.

Kelley Fielder lived next door to the Millers and called them her “best friends.” She said she didn’t know they were “that crazy.”

She was holding documents for the couple that included detailed plans to take over a courthouse and execute public officials. The file box full of documents, along with three empty rifle cases and an empty box for handcuffs, were confiscated by investigators during a search of Fielder’s apartment.

The couple had left their Bruce Street apartment about 4:30 a.m., telling neighbors they planned to murder cops, police said. They were armed with several handguns and a shotgun, and carried several hundred rounds of ammunition.

“He knew he wasn’t going to survive that day,” an official with knowledge of the investigation said. “Cops were going to die, and he was going to die.”

After the shooting, the couple headed toward a nearby Wal-Mart, where Jerad Miller was confronted by Joseph Robert Wilcox, 31, of Las Vegas. Wilcox was legally carrying a concealed pistol. Wilcox was unaware that Amanda Miller, who was pushing a shopping cart, was involved in the incident and “lying in wait,” the official said.

She slipped behind Wilcox and shot him at close range.

“He had no idea the wife was walking behind him,” the police official said of the slain man. “This guy (Wilcox) was not some idiot with a gun. To me, he was a hero. He was trying to stop an active shooter.”

Police said this morning that Wilcox was killed without firing a shot.

Officers exchanged gunfire with the couple in the store’s automotive section. Oil and antifreeze spilled onto the floor creating a messy scene.

In the last moments of their lives, Jerad and Amanda turned and faced each other and spoke, though it is unclear what they said. She then shot him several times before shooting herself in the head. Jerad made some movements afterwards but died there. Amanda was showing signs of life and was taken to a hospital, but died soon after.

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

He seems to hate these cans. Stay away from the cans!

9. Buck Turgidson

They're all defective.

Speaking of the shooters and their ilk, of course.

10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

After the shooting, the couple headed toward a nearby Wal-Mart, where Jerad Miller was confronted by Joseph Robert Wilcox, 31, of Las Vegas. Wilcox was legally carrying a concealed pistol. Wilcox was unaware that Amanda Miller, who was pushing a shopping cart, was involved in the incident and “lying in wait,” the official said.

She slipped behind Wilcox and shot him at close range.

I've seen this happen enough times on tv and in the movies, but wonder if I'd ever be cognizant enough to not be killed by the girl in real life. That's dicey. Dude needed to be more observant before trying to stop the killers. Feel bad for him.

11. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

IB4T

"Guns don't kill people, people do."

Gun control. We need it. Now.

12. TdashDUB

TdashDUB Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9MJNp-Nf614" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This was one of the killers. :-|

13. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Sounds like a regular listener to Alex Jones.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Smh

Rocket River

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

They say is domestic violence and other issues you have to be aware of the wife/gf as much as the guy. I think they have seen too many times where the 'helpless' woman was as dangerous as a guy. Its become like a rule.

This is a very unfortunate situation.

Rocket River

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I don't really know who that is -- sorry I'm *that* out of it -- but I do wonder if, at some point, we have to wonder if media freedom (from any part of the political spectrum) outweighs inciting literal violence.

As people grasp for viewers and clicks, they get more and more hyperbolically extreme, trying to get their audience more and more angry. This of course will have real consequences among listeners who are already a bit imbalanced.

Oh well, I'm getting a little too D&D for the hangout, but I'm not saying anything particularly partisan, especially since I don't know Alex Jones from Smarty Jones.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly . . .it start with a faulty education system
    that is not about building strong minds or critical thinkers
    but more seems to want to make consumers/followers and those easily swayed

now you getting second/third generations of people with these mindsets/educations

We have 'news' that doesn't do basic fact checking at times.
    When found out . . .it is dismissed or corrected in a way that is dismissive

Gotta start from the ground up

News has not accountability to the 'truth or facts'

Rocket River