1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

21 Grams & House of Sand and Fog

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nomar, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Nomar

Nomar Member

21 Grams:

Brilliant. Oscar worthy performances from Penn, Watts, and Del Toro. Inventive and captivating narrative structure. Realism captured more perfectly in a movie than I have ever seen. Do yourself a favor and go see this modern masterpiece. This movie should get Best Picture, and Penn should get a second nomination for Best Actor.

A+

House of Sand and Fog:

Tragic. Solid performance by Ben Kingsly, as usual. He really carries this entire film on his back. Connely is gorgeous, (obviously), but at times she is just going through the motions. I found myself frustrated by the actions of a few of the characters, and how the story eventually played out. It really felt like a Greek tragedy. The only saving grace besides Kingsly is the moral ambiguity portrayed with the main characters. I could feel sympathetic for both sides of the problem. It's worth a see, but prepare to feel sad.

B

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Nomar, good call on 21 grams. It's an intense film, but very moving. The big three work together very effectively; no one person dominated the film.

3. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Haven't see House of Fog, but I would agree with Nomar on 21 Grams. Great movie.

4. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

Spoilers...

21 grams - I liked the director's previous movie Amores Perres a lot more than this. The performances were great, just none of the characters is very sympathetic. Let me put it this way, I liked the character of the dog in the director's previous movie more. The narrative also feels gimmicky.

I had trouble seeing a sheriff doing what the guy in House of Sand and Fog does even if he gets to bang Jennifer Connelly. Kidnapping? Otherwise the progression of the story was pretty good. Pretty depressing stuff.

There was the one woman somewhere in Houston who lost her house to a $30 or so association fee overdue.

5. flamingmoe

flamingmoe Member

Didn't you already declare that TLS would and will win Best Picture?

:)

6. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I heard House of Sand and Fog makes you want to slit your wrists afterwards.

7. Woofer

Yes.

There was a movie *better* than The Last Samurai called When the Last Sword Falls - that makes one feel like slitting one's wrists afterwards, too. This keeps happening with Japanese movies for me lately - Audition, Ichi the Killer, and Azumi.

8. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

Thanks for the review, Nomar. I've been wanting to see 21 Grams since I heard about it last fall. I'll definitely check it out now.

9. Nomar

Nomar Member

Please.

You couldn't feel for Watts character? Or Del Toro? Blah. I could see myself doing the same in their situations.

GreenVegan - No prob.

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Is this on film or just implied in the dialogue/actions?

(I've sat through a few bad JC films with only hope sustaining me.)

11. coma

coma Contributing Member

21 Grams was a good movie.

However, if the movie wasn't directed in that Memento/Pulp Fiction/jump from scene to scene and let the audience fill in the blanks as we go along, it wouldn't be getting all this hype.

The three actors did a great job, and it was a good story, but nothing that blew me away.

I did enjoy Watts very erect nipples shots though.

12. Woofer

spoilers...

I felt sorry for both of them and hated them for destroying their lives as well - Watts wanted to drive drunk ( some weird attempt to repeat Del Toro's feat?), then commit suicide then to kill Del Toro and used Penn in an attempt to do it. The fundamentalist craziness of Del Toro that he displayed while *mentoring* the young punks and some other physically and verbally abusive behavior towards his wife and children did not endear me either. Maybe they want to show them as flawed as the rest of us but these flaws are not the kind to engender sympathy or empathy.

13. Woofer

On film but nothing compared to The Hot Spot or Requiem for a Dream.

14. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Who doesn't?

15. Nomar

Nomar Member

They are human beings. They have flaws as you say. That automatically generates my sympathy for them. I would much rather see a movie with real characters than cardboard cutouts that can do no wrong. I could see myself acting in the same manner of Watts if I had also sustained that tragedy.

16. Woofer

I felt the male leads' flaws were so extreme as to be almost gimmicky.

She plays the character with the worst situation in the film, but turning this into Death Wish for Naomi Watts is a big drop from Mulholland Drive.

Great acting, weak film.

17. Nomar

Nomar Member

EHHH, incorrect.

Gimmicky?

Please. There was nothing gimmicky about Sean Penn. I could totally envision myself acting like him. Del Toro was extreme, but definitely realistic. You don't think there are tons of people out there like that?

And you are totally wrong about Watts 'death wish'. I didn't get that impression at all. She was just messed up. She didn't want to repeat anything.

Amazing acting, amazing film. If you want a weak film, go see LOTR again.

18. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

21 Grams was a great movie. But it took too much away from the Directors big hit movie in spanish, Amor es Perros (love is a b****)

That movie was just amazing. The sound track is just incredible as well. If you liked 21 grams, go see Amor es Perros. It is in spanish, but there are english subtitles.

One of the more powerful movies i've seen.

19. Woofer

I said the flaws not the actors.

The plot is not the actor's fault.

There are tons of people out there like Del Toro's character. It doesn't mean I want anything to do with them. I'm Homer Simpson, Del Toro is Ned Flanders on steroids.

I think LOTR is weak plotwise, too.

I agree:
    Amores Perres is a superior film from the same director that uses different points of view without the timeshifting to tell a better story.

20. Nomar

Nomar Member

I meant the characters of the actors. Of course you don't want anything to do with some of the characters, but that doesn't mean they don't make for a powerful movie.