1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021: Best Trade Option

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by D-rock, Jul 29, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

AG is a Luka stopper, Mavs want him too.

https://thesmokingcuban.com/2020/07/30/dallas-mavericks-trade-aaron-gordon-will/amp/4/

For those doubting Gordon’s defense look no further than what he did against Luka Doncic. According to NBA Stats, he matched up on the Mavericks superstar for just over 15.5 minutes during the two meetings. Doncic was five of 16 from the field and missed all seven of his threes with Gordon defending.

2. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

If I were Indy and could get AG for Olidipo, then I would cut Houston out of the deal. After trading for Gordon, I would use Turner to get a PG/SG. Dinwiddie would be on the top of my list. That would leave the Pacers with a starting 5 of...

Dinwiddie
    Brogdon
    TJ Warren
    AG
    Sabonis

That’s a pretty good starting 5.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agreed in theory but AG is not a fit for IND. Turner shoots the 3 better than AG and Pacers need more space not less.

Sabonis would force AG to the bench. AG's biggest problem is that the paint has always been too crowded his entire career (Ibaka/Biyombo then Tobias Harris/Vuc now Jonathan Isaac/Vuc/Aminu/Bamba) and/or being forced to play out of position (SF instead of PF).

Sabonis is a PF, but when he plays small ball 5, Pacers need a stretch 4. That's more TJ Warren than AG.

Pacers would rather play:

Brogdon
    EGo
    TJ
    Sabonis
    Turner

Or smallball/death line up:

Brogdon
    EGo
    House
    TJ
    Sabonis

Much fewer mov9ng parts, system does not change, plus a first round pick.

And they get a player who loves Indiana rather than a problem child like Oladipo who's contract is coming up.

DeBeards and Nook like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Pacers need more shooters.

5. s3ts

s3ts Member

How about no trades, just straight-up try to make room for a signing?

Quick look-up, found Rondae Hollis-Jefferson. Very young (27), plays as an undersized forward. Horrid 3-pt shooter, but i honestly think that's the last thing we need right now is more 3s.

LEFTY.

Respectable rebounding, has a bit of handle so he can bring the ball up, and averages about 2 APG. Big thing about this guy is Defensive WS/RPM.

Nook and D-rock like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

If he cannot shoot 3 or create space, how will he get minutes?

Cannot play with Russ.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He might be okay in limited minutes off the bench, but an improving House would make it unnecessary
    to have him. I'm interested in acquiring the other prince, Aminu and an upgrade at the 5.

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Horford would be very tempting, but I’ll pass. Not on that contract. Marc Gasol is basically the same age with similar strengths/weaknesses and an UFA this summer. If the goal is to acquire a cerebral, traditional big that can stretch the floor he’s the better option, IMO.

As for Aaron Gordon, I’ve never quite understood the obsession, but I’m not totally opposed to the idea. It just depends on the parameters of the deal. I do think some of you are playing too much NBA 2K20. If you are, just make sure you temper your expectations. He’s likely near his peak as a player.

The Josh Smith comparison is apt. You’re going to get an offensively-challenged, monster athlete with a high skill set that’s going to WOW you at times, and make you throw the remote control across the room, at others. The difference being that Josh’s peak was way higher than AG’s was (or has been up until this point), but the saving grace is he’s not a chucker the way Josh was. You won’t hear the Toyota Center shout “NOOO!” whenever AG shoots a three the way Hawks fans would whenever Josh would try.

9. icewill36

icewill36 Member

ego is at the END of his contract while Al still has a lot of years left and already old. His numbers are abysmal. He isn’t going to get any better. We would have to get compensated in picks to take on that contract which I’m not sure they even have.

10. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Gasol would not fit in our switching defensive scheme at all (as much as I love the rest of his game). Horford is agile enough to do so, while also providing stout interior D and versatility on the offensive end.

Eric Gordon just signed an extension, so his contract now ends in 2024. Horford’s ends in 2023.

Horford’s contract is a worse value than EGo’s, I agree. Maybe Philly is willing to give up a pick to offload Horford. Would be nice for us to add some draft capital after the Russ and Covington trades.

But let’s focus on the on court fit. Horford fits what we are trying to do, while giving us versatility on both ends of the floor. We have the early bird rights for Austin Rivers to replace most of what Gordon brings us, but we don’t have anyone like Horford on the roster currently.

saleem and D-rock like this.
  11. baller4life315

Well, I’m making the argument Gasol signed as an UFA with one of our exceptions is better than paying $97M guaranteed for Horford. Horford can still contribute, obviously, but he’s pretty clearly declining. It wouldn’t be wise for a team like ours to have $350M in guaranteed money to three players on the wrong side of 30. And you would get to keep EG.

It at least gives you the flexibility to flip EG for someone younger or go in a different direction.

12. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Gasol will have many suitors that will give assurances he will be a key rotation piece. And
    he simply cannot play in our switching D, so either we switch the scheme or he is a bit player for us.

Besides the on court fit, Pau Gasol and D’Antoni didn’t get along at all in LA (Mike even benched him later in the season). I doubt Marc would sign with us after seeing how his brother was marginalized by coach D’Antoni

13. s3ts

s3ts Member

He's young, he's cheap, guards multiple positions, lefty, rebounds, passes well, sort of handles the ball too. The only thing he can't do is shoot the 3.

None of these role players we have can create space other than EG, so I'm not sure what you're going for on that.

He's going to be very sought after by a lot of really good teams for that versatile defensive ability, but also the active hands he has on the offense. He's severely underrated, I'd bet the Rockets have eyes on him right now.

https://ca.nba.com/news/free-agent-...e-hollis-jefferson/1gw80k5wsvc7i17365ke06a6bz

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

15. baller4life315

Thats cool if you’re simply not a fan of his game or think he’s a bad fit. None of that refutes my point about cost, though. $97M guaranteed is an expensive gamble for a team fresh off of making the most expensive gamble in franchise history (Westbrook). It wouldn’t be wise, IMO. One scenario is simply the more cost effective approach.

And you can look around the league and see many examples of where players got over real or imaginary “grudges”. We have one on our own team: Luc. We low-balled him, he left and he’s back now. And, hell, Ryan Anderson even re-signed with us after various aggressive campaigns to get rid of him. Players simply want jobs and/or the chance to win. I’m not saying we would be a top suitor for Gasol, but we could offer minutes in a system that often inflates the numbers of big men. Plus, of course, the chance to win. I’d rather take my chances with that approach.

16. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

I like Marc’s game, but don’t think that D’Antoni will adjust his offense to take advantage of Marc’s skills on the low block, or move away from a switch everything defense to accommodate Marc. I don’t see us allocating the MLE to a player that is not a system fit, nor do I see a player of Marc’s caliber deciding to sign with a team where he does not fit. He has seen D’Antoni marginalize other post players (his own brother!), so why would he sign with us?

He will have many other suitors who will better utilize his skill set - and this is where he differs from the Lucs and Rynos of the world. They had no suitors - you can’t afford to hold grudges if you have no leverage.

I agree that Horford is very costly and a negative asset on that contract. I think Gordon is a slightly more valuable asset, but in terms of what each player adds to our team, it is much harder to replicate what Horford brings to the table vs. what Gordon does. As you called out, Horford is expensive and it would be a risk to take him on. But when dealing a negative asset (Gordon at $19 MM is a negative asset), you have to be a bit unconventional to try to get value back.

Horford is a very talented player that doesn’t fit with his current roster and makes entirely too much. Maybe he has lost a step, but his shot, passing ability, and defensive instincts are still there, and would be highlighted in our system. He was an incredible player in the PnR with Boston and I’m confident he would find that spark with Russ and James.

17. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

Danillo Gallanari, Kevin Love, Serge Ibaka, Blake Griffin, Horford- older guys, some bad contracts
    Aaron Gordon, Myles Turner, Jeremy Grant- younger options that are probably harder to get.

those guys have to be our targets this offseason.
    Danillo would be what we wanted out of Ryno, 6'10 knows Danton's style. Rebounding is suspect and I dont know if his defense is horrible.

rockets need to load up on shooters and rebounders. who can hopefully play some defense. All 3 would be great if possible

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

If Rockets unable to generate good trade for EGo then keep him and split MLE between 6'11 Nerlens Noel and 6'8 Josh Jackson.

Both are excellent defensive disruptors (steals, deflections, shot blocks) and are long/athletic enough to switch 1-5.

Not 3P shooters but Jackson can get his own shot and both are surprisingly good passers.

6'11 Nerlens Noel 7'4 wingspan

6'8 Josh Jackson 6'11 wingspan

joshuaao and saleem like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member