1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Jan 2, 2020.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Going into the last year of his deal, 5th year option available for 2021.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

And also Logan Ryan and Dre Kirkpatrick still available if we still want to upgrade the secondary.

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Claypool might be our first pick....the special teams element he has...has to have O’Brien’s attention.

6. raining threes

I would rather wait until the end of rd 3 or top of rd 4 and get whoever is left out of Claypool/Jefferson.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

A good way to predict who the Texans will draft in the 2nd round is to look to see who's projected to go in the 3rd round

8. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Gil Brandt
    @Gil_Brandt

We'll definitely see four go in the first, and maybe 5: Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs, Jefferson and Aiyuk
    Quote Tweet

raining threes likes this.
  9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Since this is supposed to be a good WR draft, the Texans can wait till the 3rd, 4th round to draft one. Tyler Johnson/Brandon Aiyuk in the back of the second or in the 3rd would be great.

10. gucci888

Leaning this way as well. Lamb, Jeudy and Ruggs are tier one guys and will be long gone, but there seems to be a big drop off after that and we're seeing tier two guys like Higgins, Aiyuk, Jefferson, Shenault, Raegor, Mims, Claypool, etc...being projected all over the place from end of first to deep into the 3rd. If there is a good Edge or OLB available, I'm willing to pull the trigger and gamble one of the tier two guys will be available with our lower 2nd rounder and maybe into the 3rd.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

And then wait for some team to jump just ahead of them and take that person so we end up with someone else instead.

bcast89 and red5rocket like this.
  13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Penn State connection?

4. Yetur Gross-Matos, Penn State (JR, 6'5", 266 pounds)

Over the past two seasons combined, Gross-Matos has a total of 34.5 tackles for loss and 17 sacks. Gross-Matos has tremendous length, violent hands, a non-stop motor and quick first step. While he has the versatility to fit in both 4-3 and 3-4 schemes, he's best suited for a 4-3 end role at the next level.

Fantasma Negro, gucci888 and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Sheesh his arms are freakishly long too. He might be a steal.

Like Omenihu

raining threes likes this.
  15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Here's what'll happen:

We've telegraphed so much in needing a wide receiver that when we go to pick both times in the second, a team will jump us and take the one we want.

I'm the opposite of many here. I'd rather double up on them since this is a good draft. You're likely to hit on one. I'd draft one with the first pick, and then get one in the third. Here's how I'd rank who I'd want:

2A: Denzel Mims (great potential)
    Tee Higgins
    Leviska Shenault
    Raegor

3rd round:
    Gandy-Golden
    Chase Claypool
    Bryan Edwards

I'd go Pass Rush on the 2B pick. Personally, I think someone like Alton Robinson form Syracuse could slot in around that period with good value.

I think we're better in the secondary than some think and we can wait until the 4th for a corner.

Ending up with two of those WRs gives you a decent chance to have four good WRs in a year's time, if they were both decent players.

#135 Two Sandwiches, Apr 5, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Idk but I’ve been seeing his name on here a little bit and recently watched some tape on him but man KJ Hamler is dynamic.

And not just a fast guy he turns DBs like crazy with fakes and change of direction I know some people will say it’s a easy comparison but he’s really Tyreke Hill esque.

Fuller
    Stills
    Cobb
    Hamler

Speed kills and that lineup is speed for days not to mention with duke and DJ able to catch out the backfield too.

I know he’s small in statue but he has a toughness about him and his speed isn’t just go route either he has real football speed.

Don’t really know where he’s projected to go but definitely should keep tabs on him.

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I like Hamler a lot too. I watch a lot of PSU games. Definitely a Tyreek-tyoe player.

He's going to go within 10 picks, either way, of our first pick. I definitely would love him on our team, I just don't know if he fits.

If O'Brien is going to run a KC-type, outrun-you offense, he fits. Otherwise, it seems everyone we have, outside of maybe Fuller and Stills (maybe) is a slot guy. We need some size.

That's why I want Gandy-Golden or Claypool. I think we need two WRs though, with how many injuries we tend to get.

red5rocket and Rudyc281 like this.
  18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Speaking of Penn St.

@Dubious brought up yetur gross Matos as a potential pick looked him up as well and dude is a monster thoughts on him?

19. raining threes

Hamler's hamstring issue bothers me. WFV has me gun shy.

Matos is a top 20 guy if I needed an edge.

Two Sandwiches and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. gucci888

Nice write up on the WRs from PFF. Still really like Duvernay in the 3rd, sure handed and made a lot of big/tough catches when UT needed it, something we'll be looking to replace with Nuk gone. Like Aiyuk and Reagor quite a bit as well.

DROPSIES: KJ Hamler, Penn State

For a team that suffered the highest frequency of deep ball drops like the Eagles, the proposition of adding Hamler to that mix is a risky one. Hamler let 12 catchable balls hit the deck in 2019 for a drop rate of 16.9% (t-321). Pair that with a below average contested catch rate of 36.4% and you can see why I’d be hesitant on adding the dangerous but inconsistent Penn State product.

SURE-HANDED: Henry Ruggs III, Alabama

The opposite of Hamler, the man with the 10 1/8” paws is as sure-handed as they come. In his three-year stint at Alabama, Ruggs dropped only five total passes and finished off 2019 with only one drop and a 2.4% drop rate. Ruggs was his most efficient in the intermediate area of the field, hauling in 14 of 18 passes for 2 touchdowns for a passer rating when targeted of 155.8 (4th).

YAKETY YAC: Brandon Aiyuk, Arizona State

Aiyuk was 8th in the country for screen yards (241) and was targeted as such due to his tremendous ability after the catch. His 10.9 YAC average was also 8th in the country, which incentivized the Sun Devils to get the ball into Aiyuk’s hands with room to operate.

SHALLOW WATERS: Quartney Davis, Texas A&M

Davis is plenty fluid and quick on film, which served him well as a slot receiver, but what about the deep game?

“Of his 99 catches in his career, only six came 20-plus yards downfield. One of the reasons may be that he struggled to get off press coverage and as such played in the slot a ton.”

In 2019, Davis only caught one “deep” pass for 29 yards. This raises a similar question to one we had with OSU WR Parris Campbell, who only caught two deep passes for 53 yards in 2018. Is the player to blame or is it all on the scheme and what they were asked to do?

STAND-OUT SLOT: Devin Duvernay, Texas

With Nelson Agholor gone, the Eagles have plenty of slot reps on the table. Duvernay experience a boom in production when he went from outside to inside in 2019. His 104 receptions and 1,387 yards from the slot both rank 2nd in the country. The only player with more slot receptions and yards was LSU’s Justin Jefferson.

Unlike the aforementioned Quartney Davis, working primarily from the slot didn’t hurt Duvernay’s deep ball production. He hauled in 12 deep receptions (t-21st) for 432 yards (t-28th), in part thanks to a 60% contested catch rate.

SHAKE IT OFF: Jauan Jennings, Tennessee

Coming in at 6’3 1/8”, 215 pounds, the talented Jennings was a nightmare to bring down with the ball in his hands. Jennings led the nation for broken tackles among wide receivers, shaking loose of an absurd 30 attempts. That’s four more than second place, with Oklahoma’s CeeDee Lamb shaking 26 folk in 2019. Jennings’ Combine interviews will be important to his stock, as there are concerns about his maturity.

MISSED OPPORTUNITIES: Jalen Reagor

If you’re hesitant on Reagor due to a serious step back in production from his sophomore to junior year, don’t be. Reagor was essentially the same, dangerous threat, but the dudes responsible for getting him the rock were abysmal.

“According to PFF’s advanced ball location charting, only 30.7% of Reagor’s targets in 2019 were charted as accurate. Only three other FBS receivers had it worse this past season.”

GETTING RIGHT: Denzel Mims, Baylor

After a 2017 campaign of 61-1,087-8, Mims took a step back in 2018, totaling a less appealing 55-794-8 stat line. That’s not too shabby, but the big concern were his hands due to his 11 drops of 66 catchable balls. Returning to school after the disappointing season, Mims’ 2019 campaign went much better (66-1,015-12). He also dropped his drop rate nearly in half followed by turning heads as the big winner during Senior Bowl practices.

The sky is the limit for Mims, whose comparison to Braylon Edwards is apt for both the right and wrong reasons.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com...cs-say-about-the-2020-wide-receiver-prospects

Rudyc281 and coachbadlee like this.