1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Taillon to the IL with a flexor tendon strain in his right elbow

2. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

I thought that all the Astros young stars (well, not the pitchers) said that that year with Beltran made them much better hitters.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I would not be shocked to see David Price shopped if Boston continues to struggle. Boston would have to eat a LOT of money for Houston to be able to trade for him, but I know Luhnow loves/loved Price. Price, Stroman, Boyd, Wheeler, Synergaard, Archer, and Bumgarner seem like fits. Jon Gray would be a darkhorse.

Greene, Diekman, Kennedy, Minor, Treinen, Brett Anderson, Gsellman, Lugo, Diaz, Doolittle, Barraclough, Vazquez, Liriano, Iglesias, Davis, Dunn, McGee, Dyson, Watson, and Smith are potential bullpen adds.

With Tucker and Alvarez ready and the financial limitations I just don’t see Houston adding a bat. I could see them adding a catcher if Stassi continues to struggle offensively or if there’s an injury to him or Chirinos. James McCann, Buster Posey, Lucroy, Suzuki, Gomes, Cervelli, and old friend Martin Maldonado might be available.

4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Price was just put on the IL with elbow problems.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I knew that. I don’t think it’s a meaningful injury. From mlbtr:

7:38pm: It seems there’s not much concern that Price is dealing with a significant injury, Chris Cotillo of MassLive.com was among those to report. Price calls it “nothing,” though he declined to say how long he had been dealing with the issue and there’s no clear timeline for his return.

6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Red Sox are only 2.5 games out of the Wild Card and 6 in their division.

Price is almost 34, making 31 million this year, and is owed 96 million for the 20, 21, and 22 seasons. Even if the Red Sox ate half the remaining money it would cause a payroll problem for the Astros next year.

Astros have about 46 million coming off the books in free agency. The Bregman, Verlander, and Pressly extensions eat up about 38 million of that in terms of AAV increases for luxury tax purposes. That doesn't include the arbitration raises for Correa, Osuna, Springer, Peacock, Marisnick, McCullers, Diaz, and Stassi. So even if the Astros let all their free agents walk and use minor leauger/minimum salary guys to replace them the payroll is going up next year. Now if you figure the Astros will at least add one bullpen arm to replace Smith, Rondon, or Will Harris, add or resign one starter to replace McHugh, Miley, or Cole, and maybe resign Chirinos or find another catcher... the payroll is going to be pushing luxury tax levels without any major additions.

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Right. That’s why I said Boston would have to eat a lot (with “LOT” in all caps) for Houston to be able to even consider it. But that doesn’t mean it’s impossible. If Boston ate $55M and Houston gave up 2 decent pitching prospects, I think it could work. But Houston would need to feel pretty good about Price’s projection over the next 3 years.

8. HTM

HTM Member

Why would Boston, who are trying to contend, trade Price to their biggest rival in the AL? I don’t get it... BOS isn’t trying to blow it up...

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I don't disagree on the 1st part...but we are not Boston's biggest rival in any league.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

New York Yankees faint

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

My assumption is that Boston is going to continue to suck this year. They have a bloated payroll, a crummy farm, and I think the Yanks and Rays will pull away from them. Trading Price can help them improve their farm and payroll without really hurting their ability to contend in the near term.

12. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Doubt Boston would deal him to Houston. Doubt Luhnow wants too add that much payroll.

13. Buck Turgidson

Boston will not continue to suck.

SWTsig and Nook like this.
  14. HTown2017Champs

I wish they would, but it's clear that they're waking up. That said, by default, I root for one of the three non-NYY/BOS teams to win the AL East every year.

House of Pain and snowconeman22 like this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Toronto is one of my favorite teams from nowhere. They need to be really good again: Carter, Gruber, Alomar, Olerud, *Pat Borders!*, Tony Fernandez, Molitor, Devon White....

Cito Gaston was a great manager, and he got a bad rap.

#55 Buck Turgidson, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
    vonwafer234 likes this.
  16. Big Uns

Big Uns Member

Uhhhh no to White. Alvarez is an MLB unknown.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I’m seeing rumors that the Nats are contemplating a tear down if they don’t pick it up. That makes no sense to me since Rendon is really their only meaningful pending free agent. But if they did decide to do a quick rebuild, Rendon, Eaton, Scherzer, and Doolittle would all likely be available. Would you do Scherzer, $60M, and Dootlittle for Whitley and Bukauskas?

18. vonwafer234

vonwafer234 Member

Was a Jays fan currently residing in Toronto before I became and Astros fan to go along with the Jays. True story.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I would like getting Doolittle but Scherzer isn't happening. He's owed 126.5 million over the next 3 years with a chunk of that deferred through 2028. Even if the Nats eat 60 million it's not enough.

There is a reason the Astros had been looking at guys like Taillon and Seth Lugo. They have years of team control and are CHEAP. The way Springer and Correa are playing this year is going to cost the Astros next year as well. Correa will be over 10 million and Springer could be nearing or over 20 million in arbitration. They don't have the room to add another high paid star. No Greinke, no Scherzer, no Posey. Just forget it. Crane has investors and a board to answer to. He's not going to them for a cash call.

20. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.