1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This season, Astros have gotten very good production from the DH. Though, the Astros DH position is usually manned by an OF or an All-Star IF.

texans1095 likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

If the Astros get a legit DH it will just be based on value.

Both Hinch and Luhnow ideally want to use the DH hole as a spot to give the players on the field days off........ so the DH would change day to day with guys like Altuve, Bregman and Correa getting a turn each every 10 days.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The ultimate Giants tear-down blockbuster:

Astros get:
    C Buster Posey
    1B Brandon Belt
    SP Madison Bumgarner
    RP Tony Watson
    RP Will Smith
    $40M

Giants get:
    SP JB Bukauskas
    SP Corbin Martin
    RP Chris Devenski
    OF Derek Fisher
    1B Tyler White
    C Max Stassi
    RP Joe Smith

Resulting Astros roster:

CF Springer
    3B Bregman
    LF Brantley
    2B Altuve
    1B Belt
    SS Correa
    DH Alvarez
    C Posey
    RF Reddick
    Bench: Gurriel, Marisnick, Chirinos, Kemp
    Rotation: Verlander, Cole, Bumgarner, McHugh, Miley
    Bullpen: Peacock, Rondon, Harris, Smith, Watson, Pressly, Osuna

4. Marteen

Marteen Member

Are they still interested in Greinke or has that ship already sailed?

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think their use of the DH for off-days has been more because they haven't had an ideal DH vs. that being their overall preference/vision.

They spent $20 million dollars on Beltran 2 years ago to be an everyday DH... it didn't work, but doesn't mean they would be against the concept of having a guy who can only hit be in the everyday lineup.

everyday eddie likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

I haven't heard much about Greinke since the season started, but that doesn't mean they have lost interest.

My speculation would be that the Astros would rather take on someone making less money at this point.

Marteen likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Luhnow has said before that ideally the DH is a place to plug in position players to get rest. That was several years ago so perhaps he has changed his mind. I'm not saying the Astros wouldn't add or spend money on a DH if it is their best bet to improve the team, only that is what the Astros ideally would prefer.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm saying he must of changed his mind prior to offering a good chunk of money to a player who wasn't going to do very much besides DH (Beltran).

That signing did fail... so maybe they're just now back to where they were.

I see plenty of NL teams using the DH position as one of rest during interleague series, and pretty sure that's where this strategy originated (as no NL team is going to devote major resources or roster spots for a handful of games/season where the DH comes into play)... but it doesn't make much sense for an AL team to have that mindset, unless their lineup is that stacked (or payroll already at max at other positions).

As it is, White is a bad first baseman. Kemp is a bad outfielder. Those two aren't necessarily giving you extra value besides what they do at the plate. Carrying two sub-par DH candidates on the bench is not better than carrying one good DH, regardless of the rest it may create.

panamamyers likes this.
  9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The Astros have never not won the World Series when Carlos Beltran was their primary DH during the regular season. Signing successful. :)

Madmanmetz, biff17, arkoe and 2 others like this.
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well that settles that... how can they not be employing that strategy year after year!

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yep...should have signed him to another one year deal last season. Stupid Luhnow.

12. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

We really need to be going after Keuchel

13. Buck Turgidson

This has nothing to do with Keuchel. Stros tried to sign him more than once, he was not amenable. Oh well.

14. HTown2017Champs

Trade targets I'd like to see us go after:
    SP:
    Matt Boyd (DET)
    Madison Bumgarner (SF)
    Robbie Ray (ARZ)
    Marcus Stroman (TOR)
    Jameson Taillon (PIT)
    Zach Wheeler (NYM)
    Alex Wood (CIN)

RP:
    Shane Greene (DET)
    Taylor Rogers (MIN)
    Will Smith (SF)
    Tony Watson (SF)

Bats:
    Brandon Belt (SF)
    Nick Castellanos (DET)
    Justin Smoak (TOR)
    Neil Walker (MIA)

Snake Diggit likes this.
  15. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Wood has back problems and hasn't pitched yet. His return was delayed because of a setback in his rehab. I'm also not interested in Belt. He's making over 17 million a year and not producing anywhere close to that value. Astros can't afford to add wasted salary even if the Giants eat a significant amount I don't really see him as a major improvement or someone the Astros would want to be tied to for 2 more years after this season. I don't see any Twins being available. They are going to be competing for a Wild Card or their division.

I would add some additional names...

Syndergaard- I would consider giving up Whitley for 3 post season runs lead by Verlander/Syndergaard
    Reyes Moronta- elite reliever with big k/9 and under team control for several more years.... would cost a lot to get
    Jake Diekman- WHIP under 1 thus far. If he can keep the walks down he has nasty stuff
    Jose Abreu-
    Anthony Rendon- If the Nationals don't resign him and they fall out of contention maybe they make the trade this year
    Archie Bradley
    Ian Kennedy
    Amir Garrett

Snake Diggit likes this.
  16. HTown2017Champs

Forgot about Diekman, yeah, nice bounce-back season. Rogers is a dream, I doubt they fall out of contention but I saw him from a website LOL. Abreu is solid, but I think the Sox keep him as they're near contention. If we add a bat I'd prefer a lefty or switch-hitter (threw in Castellanos b/c of DET's obvious position as sellers), Smoak being my dream. Belt (if SF ate some good $$$) I think would benefit from playing in a smaller park, but that's just me. Wood, I forgot to mention, if he returns strong and stays healthy. Doubt NYM gives up Syndergaard for many reasons. Archie Bradley I'm just not a fan of, and isn't his salary fairly high?

17. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Bradley wouldn't be at the top of my list but he's only making 1.8 million and has 2 years of control after this season.

At this point, with Wood recently suffering a setback in his back rehab, I don't think the Astros would touch him after dealing with Correa's back problem last year. They shut him down again. He may not be back for a couple months.

18. Major

Major Member

Before the Astros even think of making any trades, they have to give Whitley and Alvarez (and maybe Tucker) a chance. It's very possible their best solutions are within and don't involve giving up any future pieces.

Htown Legend likes this.
  19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I believe that Alvarez will get his shot before any possible trades for a hitter because he's earned it. Whitley and Tucker have not and I'm starting to agree with Nook on Whitley. He hasn't pitched much in his professional career. He's only got a total of 151 innings. This season he has made 4 starts. He's only gone 14 innings total and is sporting a 7.71 ERA with a 1.43 WHIP. He probably needs to spend the entire season in AAA and throw 125 innings. Then maybe be a September call up. If Whitley wants a shot at the rotation before the trade deadline he needs to step it up NOW and start dominating. Otherwise, Corbin Martin, who is dominating, will get the opportunity.

Tucker is starting to heat up. However, I doubt he gets another shot ahead of Alvarez, and because of the current makeup of the roster I don't see a fit for both of them right now. They aren't likely to bring either of them up to sit on the bench.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Current makeup is only current. While I don't know who will be moved, I expect there will be room if they want to make room. Astros can run 4 OFs with one rotating at DH and put either Brantley or Alvarez at 1st. If Tucker gets his contact issues worked out, he'll get a shot this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.