1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2019 Draft/1-23] Tytus Howard, OT, Alabama State

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 25, 2019.

?

Do you like the selection of Tytus Howard?

Poll closed Sep 5, 2019.
  1. YES

54.6%
  2. NO

45.4%
  1. Newlin

Newlin Member

Really hoping for the best with this guy. Does it seem like we always have a lot of offensive linemen go down every year?

conquistador#11 likes this.
  2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

4-6 weeks sucks but I know Roderick Johnson can hold it down. He would be back for Dec 1st against the Patriots.

3. conquistador#11

Maybe he can take a trip to Germany during the bye week and be back for the Ravens.

raining threes and Cstyle42 like this.
  4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

yes, but i think every team goes through this. just a bunch of 300 pounders stepping on and falling on each others ankles.

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Great news.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  7. conquistador#11

Time table for that, 3-4 weeks.
    Probably 10 days if you rub some magic barry bonds substance

coachbadlee likes this.
  8. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Great news. I hate to see him go down right when our OL seems to be jelling nicely and O’Brien is game planning in such a way to help them progress. I think Broderick will be able to hold down the fort, but we will have very little depth until Howard gets back.

Of more immediate concern is Bradley Roby and whether he will be out vs Colts. If he can’t play our other corners will be playing so soft that Brisset (sic) will just eat up time of possession and keep our offense off the field. I find it disconcerting that we are hearing nothing about his injury and how serious it might be.

10. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Luckily the BYE is after the Colts. So hopefully he just miss the Colts and Raiders game.

coachbadlee likes this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Concerns raised before the draft:

#1: Mike Leach Air Raid = 3 steps and chuck it. Played to his strengths and papered over his weaknesses. It made his tape look amazing. If he had played at, for instance, Alabama he would have all his weaknesses highlighted by a power blocking scheme.

#2: Height, weight, wingspan, arm length, hand size, & bench press were all between below average and the bottom of the acceptable range. Individually, none was a horrible deal breaker red flag, but like a whole lot of subpar measurements piled on top of each other. His speed and quickness drills were amazing and made people ignore the bad.

Lack of length = lack of leverage, which is the way you can make up for subpar strength. Everybody was going gaga over his short shuttle and 40, and all the other athletic traits that he dazzled with but size and strength are still the most important traits for a tackle.

#3 There were some issues with him getting bull rushed in some of the Senior Bowl tape and when I pointed them out I was told I was grasping at straws.

Honestly I was told so often that I was wrong about Dilliard, and so many people had opposite opinions that I thought I must be wrong. I feel a great sense of schadenfreude here.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This guy is on track to make the pro bowl and then some.

Why posters continue to jump to conclusions from the get go on draft picks is baffling. Still remember those upset about the Watt selection. Just pointless internet bravado.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I admit I was one of those doubters when they drafted him. But he has proven me wrong. I feel comfortable every time he is on the field. Glad to see him back.

15. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I wasn’t upset with picking him, just upset where we picked him. I guess you can say I was proven wrong as well? Either way, everyone has done that, even you.

16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Brian Gaines draft picks are looking pretty good. Just like the Texans to screw it up and get rid of him. :)

Getting Justin Reid with the 3rd pick in the draft last year was a steal. So far Tytus Howard, Lonnie Johnson, and Max Scharping all look like good NFL players.

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

@TheRealist137 stills thinks JJ Watt was a bad pick a #11.

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

You're the one that called the Astros chokers and then they won the World Series a few days later.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I have?

no, not everybody bashes picks before they ever play a down.

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The 2017 was when they lost 3 games to the Yankees in a row. LMJ and Brad Peacock were clutch.

I called them chokers as they LOST the WS as they choked 4 games at HOME.

Again, Just take the L on Watt.