1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Step your game up @zeeshan2 ! lol

zeeshan2 likes this.
  4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fun fact for people wanting to trade up:

I wanted to see how high they could go, so checking value chart, all three of their 3rd rounders add up to 528 points, which gets them to #38 (520 points). That's the 6th pick in the 2nd round.

IMO, that's a pretty high cost for the return.

Their first two 3rd rounders gets them to number 49, which is Indy's pick in the middle of the second.

in both instances I think I'd probably prefer to keep the original picks.

That's based on the general trade value chart, which is an aproximation, but close enough for discussion purposes.

BMoney, RasaqBoi and Champs like this.
  5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Not sure what the value adds up to but I’d rather package one of our 2019 2nd rounders than give up another another 3rd this year.

6. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

My understanding is that you drop the pick a round for future picks. So if you have the 10th pick in the 2nd round this year, next year's 2nd rounder counts as 10th pick in the 3rd round. So it would be close to the same, depending on whether it is the Texans' pick or the Seahawks' pick.

7. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Texans always gamble on 3-5th rounders. They choose players who basically are projected to go in the 7th round.

raining threes likes this.
  8. Champs

Champs Member

Whos the list of 3-5 round picks they always have gambled on that were 7th round projections? Just curious.

9. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Mumphery, Davenport, Sam Montgomery, Trevardo Williams,

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

Just from a year a go, D'onta Foreman and Carlos Watkins were drafted lower than projected. Davenport was projected 4-5. Not sure about Decoud, I didn't hear much about him pre-draft. None of the others were drafted too high or as "gambles"

RasaqBoi likes this.
  11. Nimo

Nimo Member

12. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Ahh didn't Montgomery come out and say he doesn't like football before the draft? I remember ppl not liking him. Anyway my point was just they draft a lot of random names you don't hear much about leading up to the draft. I just hope they hit on some of these picks. We need to fill a few positions.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

They usually have one each draft that is totally out of the blue. Decoud last year, Tyler Ervin the year before, and Mumphrey before that. Sam was a 1st or 2nd round talent with questionable work ethic. Think Orlando Brown. Word was he had the talent but didn't put in the work. I think some other team would have drafted him in the 4th or later in the 3rd. But it wasn't a gamble on a no-name that could have been a UDFA (Mumphrey). Hopefully Decoud works out better. If so, 2017 will be the best draft in the team's history.

raining threes and RasaqBoi like this.
  14. Champs

Champs Member

I think thats pretty standard for just about every NFL team. I loved the Reader and Watkins picks the past couple years and still think the Braxton Miller has a chance to make it.

15. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Are Texans considered to have one of the weaker scouting depts? Does that all change when a NEW GM arrives? I just wonder what goes into all that.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

If you ask the internet message board geniuses, they are the worst ever. According to history and the experts, they have been a little better than average. Now most of their success has been in the 1st round and makes up for some of the dude in the later rounds.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  17. Champs

Champs Member

Depends on who you talk to. I dont think they do. I am of the impression the Texans have done pretty decent in the draft and have built a pretty good roster around the QB over the past decade or so. The team has been pretty competitive despite the revolving door at QB position, and we all know just have valuable that spot is. Total rebuild going on along the OL right now. The scouting department has been fairly stable from what I understand, and promote from within a lot. I think Rick Smith was more so involved in keeping the cap down and trade involvement than actual draft picks, to which he was pretty good at. This is Gaines first draft so not sure what to expect from him yet. Jon Carr (director of college scouting) and Rob Kisiel (director of pro personnel) are fairly new in their roles. I think the free agency has been pretty decent so far all things considered.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  18. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

They turn over, but very slowly - a couple of people per year. One or two of the managers in the scouting department were area scouts when Charley Casterly was GM.

19. showa13

showa13 Member

The one quality we had under the previous GM was that we hit on pretty much every 1st rounder while being somewhat bad on everything else.

20. raining threes

What a rosy outlook. The team does great in the draft but finishes 2-14, 4-12 every 4 years or so. Truth is the whiffs in FA, draft lead to RS being replaced and be rest assured that any scouting dept that has Jimmy Raye on it is subpar.

Just list the rd 3-5 picks over the last 5 or 6 years under Rick Smith and you will understand why he was graciously shown the door.

We don't know how Gaine will do but RS left him behind the 8 ball with no 1st or 2nd round picks.

BTW, its Gaine not Gaines

#540 raining threes, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018