1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Jan 17, 2018.

1. texian

texian Member

Broncos drafting a QB, Elway asked for all the top ones and Phil granted his wish. ( Rudolph bailed).

Problem is the South players don't get to practice with/against the better QBs, so it's a bit unfair in that regard.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

But I think it is kinda early to tell If the players will be available in the 3rd. Around this time two years ago, people were wondering if Wentz was worth a 2nd round pick. Ended up going 2nd overall. I just hate getting attached to a player only to see him kill it at the combine and vault into the first round lol.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Texans brass have shown they're willing to trade up for a guy they like. Can they maneuver all the way into the first? Tough to say but think you can talk about potential 2nd rounders possibly.

Plus it's the off-season...

#24 gucci888, Jan 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We're in this mess because we traded up too much.

They need to stop.

texans1095 likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

I tend to agree with this.

If there is someone they think is special, I can understand.

However in general the Texans have traded up too often.

Personally, I prefer trading for future picks.

If the Texans have a #1 or #2 next year, I have no problem with them dealing the pick for a lower pick the same season and future picks. Some teams give up twice the picks they get in a trade just to move up a handful of spots.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  7. showa13

showa13 Member

I only recall us trading up twice in the first in recent years, trading up in other rounds doesn’t hinder your future drafting as much. But for the positions the Texans need to focus on(OL and DB) there’s not much reason to trade up as the draft is deep in those positions, especially DB. If moving up only costs us Seattle’s 2nd next year I’d consider it but I doubt we could move up with just that pick. So far a lot of the players the team has met with are guys who will most likely be there when we finally pick

8. texian

texian Member

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Nick Chubb is a wild card for me. And any of 2 players I posted before I have my eye on as far as DBs
    Elliott Texas
    Alexander Vtech
    McFadden FSU
    Toliver LSU
    Harrison Bama
    Beal Western Mich.
    Hill Texas
    White West Virginia

We need some size at cornerback.

10. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Out of curiosity; is there a consensus belief here that Baker Mayfield will be drafted in the first round?

I see people attempting to compare him to Deshaun because they both are getting and have gotten back 2nd or 3rd round draft grades prior to the combine.... um ok, cause that's a logical comparison based on that fact ALONE.

Anyway, I feel like he'll be a Manziel 2.0 to begin his career but could become a Case Keenum type journeyman that has come into his own after a few seasons of learning, living, and tutelage of the NFL life.

Basically, IMO he is NOT worth a 1st round pick but I could see the stupid Jets drafting him high in the first round, based on stupidity. I mean its "the god damn Jets".

#30 FLASH21, Jan 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I didn't know that was a thing, getting players at a position you intend to draft to be on your team. Did the South get all the good DB and OL prospects?

12. texian

texian Member

Good resource for big boards that gets updated fairly regularly is: https://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/

You can scroll down through a board once you’re in draft mode. I’d go with Matt Miller’s board right now. Others will be added.

Fun tool to fart around with — less fun without 1st, 2nd round picks, though.

He is accurate, appears to have some pocket presence and leadership qualities. He’s a no doubt first rounder for me that I think can have great success if in a good situation. Only question I have is is hand above size threshold.

Phil has been known to shuffle guys around at a team’s request.

We didn’t have a GM in place and I doubt O’Brien was asking for any favors. I guess you’d ask for guys that aren’t projected in the top 50 in our situation if you did...?

Scouts are more interested in both teams running good practices. Fast, lots of reps, drills that expose relevant traits/skills, etc.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

What mess??? We got Deshaun Watson. Plus they should be able to get what they need with possibly 3 third round picks.

csj and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. HstnSprtsFan101

I think Baker is strides above where Manziel was. I said it at the time, Manziel was great but Mike Evans being a man among boys was a huge part of it. Like Manziel though, Baker also faces the same struggles of being short and scheme concerns.

From what I've seen from Baker it looks like he has plenty of arm strength and throws with anticipation. Won't surprise me at all if in a couple years we're wondering why the hell the Browns didn't pick him.

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Brian O'neal's versatility is amazing. Looks to be effective on both sides of the line.

16. tenit86

tenit86 Member

Hmm actually we are not! We actually only make minor moves up and down the draft board and never really impacts future drafts...never has. We have only been in this type of situation once and we ended up with Deshawn Watson. The 2nd for Osweiler sucks and that is the main and should be the olny gripe. If we gave up 3 1st Rounders for Deshawn Watson, it'd still be worth it.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think Mayfield and Jackson are better than any of the three going before them. I never got the hype about those three(Darnold, Allen and Rosen).

18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Who?

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Can't lie, I lol'ed!

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Yeah just found out who it was supposedly mel kiper has him going in the first round.