1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 MLB Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Buck Turgidson

Exactly. Even if a kid is the most talented, they need to know that he will be a bust 4 years down the road and thus not pick him. It's a pretty simple system, really.

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

My 10 round Astros mock:

1. HS C Noah Naylor (alt OF Jake McCarthy, OF Mike Siani)
    2. College OF Griffin Conine (alt 1B Seth Beer, RHP Griffin Roberts, 1B Luken Baker, OF Tristen Pompey, OF Greyson Jenista)
    3. College SS Cadyn Grenier (alt C Josh Breaux)
    4. College RHP Cole Sands (alt RHP Jackson Goddard, SS Ford Proctor)
    5. College LHP Austin Cox
    6. College OF Jake Mangum (alt 2B Kody Clemens)
    7. College C JJ Schwarz
    8. College RHP Nolan Kingham
    9. College RHP Kyle Molnar
    10. College LHP Justin Hooper (alt SS Zack Kone)

3. Progs

Progs Member

6 more days for the draft.

4. awc713

awc713 Member

Draft is already starting on Monday. Who are the names we want to drop to us?

5. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Some of the guys I would love to draft...

HS Bats
    OF Connor Scott
    C Noah Naylor
    3B Jordan Groshans (local kid Magnolia West)

HS Pitchers
    RHP Grayson Rodriguez (Nacahdoches)
    RHP Kumar Rocker
    RHP Mason Denaburg
    RHP J.T. Ginn
    RHP Cole Winn (very unlikely to fall that far)

College bats
    OF Steele Walker

College Pitchers
    LHP Ryan Rolison (Ole Miss)
    RHP Logan Gilbert (Stetson)

6. Buck Turgidson

Going strictly by the name test, since I know very little about any of these guys, I'm cool with either of these.

7. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Kumar is the son of former NFL player Tracy Rocker. He has extremely easy velocity and has an already very mature body that should be able to eat up a lot of innings.

Walker has put up monster numbers for OU this season. He has a lot of really solid and probably not any elite skills. Definitely a really high floor but also a really solid ceiling.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  8. Progs

Progs Member

Just like with Cole Winn, Connor Scott will mostly likely be gone because he's a potential five tool guy once his body matures. Fast and athletic prospect. Reminds me of Forrest Whitley. A prospect with a lot of potential, just needs development and refinement. If he puts together, can be an all-star player. At 28th pick, you just want to get lucky and draft someone who can become good.

texans1095 likes this.
  9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Team has to investigate best they can. Have a hard time saying the actions of a young teenager are enough to say he shouldn't be drafted, but I don't think he'll every get past this. To think a clerical screwup just months away from it disappearing of the record is crazy.

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t like the idea of a 22 year old kid being punished for a crime he committed at 15, especially when he served his time, obeyed his probation, and even more so considering the conviction was based almost entirely on the verbal testimony of a 7 year old. So if he’s good enough, I hope he gets drafted.

But it’s a heavy crime, and certainly shouldn’t be ignored. If his interviews and references give them a good feeling, and if he’s a legit talent, Id be ok taking him as early as the 11th round. Too many other good players without the baggage to use the slotted picks on.

Hemo_jr likes this.
  11. prospecthugger

There has been some suggestion that he'll be taken in the 2nd or 3rd, which makes some sense. If you take him, you pretty much have to stand behind his character as reformed and say you have no concerns about him going forward.

If you take him in the 11th, you have to explain why you passed on a 2nd round talent who you feel doesn't have character concerns in rounds 3-10.

Hemo_jr likes this.
  12. awc713

awc713 Member

If we can nab Kyler Murray in 2nd or 3rd round, do we? Is he for sure sticking with football? I think Law has him ranked top 40

13. htownbball

htownbball Member

I want Josh Breaux in the 2nd or 3rd.

Local product, catcher, throws 100mph and a power bat. Raked the past 2 years at McClennan JC

Snake Diggit likes this.
  14. prospecthugger

And last year's 36th round pick!

15. htownbball

htownbball Member

Yep, hopefully we've been following him more closely this year. Wish we could have signed him last year, gonna cost a lot more this year.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Elias: You definitely have less opportunity to be creative and you have to eliminate some players. Whereas when you have a large pool you will keep scouting some of the more expensive high school players, meaning they’ve got a strong college commitment but you don’t plan on taking them in the first round or two. You might be able to pay those guys later in the draft or be creative. But we really have almost no ability to do that with our pool this year and where our picks are. We have to be a little more stringent about ruling out players due to their signability.

More at link below.

https://theathletic.com/377227/2018...raft-strengths-weaknesses-of-2018-class-more/

No Worries likes this.
  17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Let's get the kids from Magnolia.

Represent!

BigMaloe and texans1095 like this.
  18. texans1095

texans1095 Member

There’s virtually no chance of him leaving. Not when he finally has his chance to be the starting QB for what should be a really good team again.

19. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

DoitDickau likes this.
  20. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Triston Cases is a beast I would hope that he lands to us.
    Perfect scenario.
    1a. Triston Cases 1b/3b
    1b. Jordan Groshans 1b/3b
    1c Noah Naylor C