1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by leroy, Nov 13, 2015.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

1-1 final, I think we got lucky there, Panama looked better than us in the 2nd half - we had nothing going at all.

We need to pick up a road win to get back solidly into the top 3.

DD

#181 DaDakota, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  2. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

The biggest issue was Bradley and Jones together in midfield. Tactically (at least tonight), one of the two was supposed to drop into the space in front of the center backs. Instead, they left that space wide open, and Panama did a good job exploiting it. Jones frequently wasted away possession as well. The second big issue was the makeshift defense. Ream and Zusi played hard, but they just weren't very good. I'm not a fan of Omar Gonzalez at all. We could really use Brooks, Cameron, Johnson, and Yedlin back.

All in all, getting a point in Panama City is solid. Not great, but solid and definitely useful. We are still on our way to qualifying for Russia.

#182 Hustle Town, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    ferrari77 likes this.
  3. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Also, how about that long throw in that led to Panama's goal by the Dynamo's own Adolfo Machado?

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Honduras was a fluke. Come on, now. Y'all can beat Panama there easily.

OK.

Rabbit ears? 47.1 in Houston. I am more than sure Weirdstin has a local affiliate of Telemundo... doesn't it? :eek:

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

We should win there. It's not a bad result...but it's not a good one either.

No one was good last night, outside of Howard. Many of them looked tired and made many lazy passes. The creativity that was there on Friday was gone last night. Pulisic was trying to do too much against players that can match his pace. Dempsey was mostly non-existent. The one good thing both of them did resulted in the one goal. Otherwise, the front 3 of Pulisic, Dempsey, and Altidore were just bad. I wasn't crazy about the lineup decisions either. I'm sure Jones would've started on Friday had he not been on yellow card suspension. But, to me, it works better to have Bradley as a defensive mid with a creative type in front of him, like a Kljestan. When it became clear that Altidore just didn't have it last night, I would've like to have seen Jordan Morris put in. Let him run at the defense because Panama was doing well to take away what Jozy does best.

We're back above the line and, considering how things started, I'm ok with that.

6. Indaface

Indaface Member

Unfortunately Morris was released back to his club since his injury wasn't gonna let him play so we were down to Wondo as our only fwd replacement. That's why Arena subbed in Arriola to move Pulisic up top at the end of the game.

Would have liked 3 there but considering how beat up the team was and the fact that Panama had something to prove after losing to Trinidad i'm fine with the result.

Mexico and Costa Rica are pretty much locks to be in so we're fighting Panama and Honduras for the 3rd auto spot. We beat Honduras by 6 Friday and went into Panama and kept them from getting 3 home points so i'll call this week a win overall.

Now let's get everyone healthy for the two qualifiers in June and use the Gold Cup to give some important PT to our young guys.

leroy likes this.
  7. leroy

Guess I missed that about Morris. I agree, then, with the move to put in Arriola because Wondo should't even have been called in, regardless of injuries. I'd take literally any other option available over Wondo and wish they'd stop calling him in.

8. DaDakota

Yeah, he died for me in the Belgium game.

DD

9. leroy

It's not even just that. Yes, he's been a great goal scorer in the MLS. But international play is just different. The guys like him (right place/right time guys) typically don't translate to the international game. Their too easy to remove from the game without really having to mark them.

10. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure where else to post this:

CONCACAF to Ask FIFA to Fast-Track US-led 2026 World Cup Bid

I like the idea of co-hosting with Mexico and Canada if it means getting a World Cup here. Frankly, I'm surprised that the other two countries would go along with a 60/10/10 game split, including no quarter- or semi-final matches. But, with the expanded field, there will probably be fewer countries that can host all of the games within their borders.

11. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Another thing to note: Apparently Asia (which Australia now competes in) and UEFA are out of the running for 2026 because of Russia and Qatar. Grant Wahl wrote today that CONMEBOL seems dead-set on a 2030 joint bid in Argentina and Uruguay to celebrate the latter's 100th anniversary of hosting the first World Cup. That leaves CONCACAF and the CAF as the only federations with the possibility of hosting. Since it's unlikely that Morocco (the runner-up to South Africa in 2010) could have the necessary infrastructure to host the expanded tournament, I think we can feel confident about joint 2026 bid.

12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

This is a political bid and I don't like mixing my sports with politics. I'd be more than happy for USA, MEX, or CAN to bid alone and win. USA would likely win and so be it but throwing bread crumbs out to create some nice photo ops of inclusion and togetherness is bullshit propaganda.

13. DaDakota

I don't care if we get the cup.

DD

14. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Can you still enter your name in the ticket lottery and I can pay you for some if you win?

15. DaDakota

Pulisic!

DD

16. leroy

Why would this be something that you care about? So what if they share? Is it really such a terrible thing that 3 neighboring countries be, you know, neighborly?

What a strange, nonsensical rant about nothing.

mtbrays and DreamShook like this.
  17. ipaman

Because it's fake you moron. I don't have time for fake friendships so greedy ****s can push a political propaganda. Keep politics out of sports, don't let them ruin that too.

18. leroy

And? What relevance is it? Does it possibly guarantee that they get the Cup? Yes. Does that mean they make it more profitable? Likely. So what?

You are such a sensitive little snowflake. I'll make sure future replies to you take your tiny little feelings into account. Doesn't take much to set you off and I want to make sure we all handle you with kid gloves in the future. Is that ok with you?

19. ipaman

You're the sensitive snowflake that wants fake overtures, fake friends, fake love. Not a Dr. but I'm guessing it's because you didn't or don't get the real thing. You're own sad experiences and lack of real friends and real love shouldn't cloud your judgement friend. Professional help could be what you need so you can recognize terrible and dysfunctional relationships for what they are instead of mistaking them for the real thing.

Last point, you're situation clearly makes you the sensitive one and also take my dick out your mouth snowflake. Give your own standalone opinions so we can **** on them because they'll probably suck. But at least you will be asserting yourself and your ideas which might help you make more real friends.

20. leroy

So, you made a post on a public forum and are now pissed that someone disagreed with your post...to the point that you're name calling and attacking me even though you have no idea who I am outside of here...and I'm the sensitive one?

If you were someone lurking and came across this conversation...which of the 2 of us do you think would come off as maybe slightly unhinged?

Also, it's "your situation" not "you're situation". I am not situation.

mtbrays likes this.