1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 12, 2017.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

That is beyond nonsensical

2. prospecthugger

It's the new market inefficiency. The Astros have drafted McCormick and Meyers who do so as well.

NIKEstrad likes this.
  3. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Celestino looking like a Teoscar Hernandez starter kit with much better defense.

Starting to get really excited about him.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Jason Lane faints

Nook likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

How is it a market inefficiency?

6. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

probably a decent start to his pro career

crose, Marteen, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The pitcher or the batter?

8. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

If he keeps this up, he will shoot through to the top 100 list for next season.

Dare I say, could get called up early and/or dealt for a bigger piece next year.

Marteen likes this.
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

LHBs are harder to find and some people find them intrinsically more valuable than RHBs. It horrifies some people that a natural lefty would be brought up batting the inferior RHB way. With as much shifting goes on, it has become harder to be a LHB that pulls grounders so I am not sure how much prejudice there is currently for a lefty that bats right handed.

10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I always wanted to deal Martes and keep Musgrove. I never trusted Martes (or Singleton) . I don't like my 20 year old athletes to be fat. I'm ok with fat ballplayers in their 30's, but yeah, that's a bad sign when you are 19 or 20, never made any money in your life, have very little responsibility other than taking care of your body and learning your craft, and you show up looking like those 2 did. I should have been out on AJ Reed. He suckered me in. All 3 of them busted/look like busts right now. I'm sure there are counterpoints to this- but I just don't remember many guys with successful careers that came up looking fat. Fernando Valenzuela. That's about all I got

11. Buck Turgidson

Just because a guy throws/writes with one hand does not necessarily mean he does/should bat that way. Depends on the eyes. No natural lefty hitter is being made to hit RH in this day and age.

12. Screaming Fist

Felix Hernandez was pretty chunky in his early 20s.

13. Buck Turgidson

On Bukauskas:

Bukauskas has been sidelined since pitching two innings with Class A Quad Cities on April 24. The 21-year-old was involved in a car accident during Spring Training. The effects from the crash lingered, and he was eventually diagnosed with a slipped disk in his thoracic spine, he said, with nerve discomfort. The pain led him to believe it was initially an oblique issue. When an MRI dispelled that, it was off to rehab.

"I'm feeling better," Bukauskas said. "I wouldn't say 100 percent yet. Anytime you have a back injury like that it kind of lingers. I felt better than I did my last outing. I think it's just going to be building on it and try and make progress as we go."

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/hous...b-start/c-284990814?tcid=tw_article_284990814

No Worries likes this.
  14. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Thanks for that tidbit. I've been wondering whats been going on all year for him. His year didn't make any sense other wise.

15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Just looked up some pictures of him from 2005. He also had some terrible hair and his earring game was embarassing as well.
    I'm not saying that this is always 100% predictive, but I feel most comfortable betting the under. You are correct though, he was definitely chunky early on.
    I'm sure there are others if anyone else wants to weigh in...

16. Buck Turgidson

Read the article, there's some other good stuff in there. I was just glad to find out what exactly has been the problem, not nearly as worried.

17. Screaming Fist

Willy Collado looks like another interesting arm tucked away at QC. Turned 20 a few months ago and is striking people out at a healthy clip in the Midwest League, including 9 tonight in 3.1 innings. Can’t find much of anything written up about this guy.

18. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Lorenzo Quintana has three home runs for Corpus tonight.

Marteen and raining threes like this.
  19. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Seth Beer just hit his first Midwest League homer. He now has 5 on the season.

crose and Marteen like this.
  20. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bartolo Colon, CC Sabathia, Joe Blanton, Carlos Zambrano, Livan Hernandez, Jaba Chamberlain, Vincinte Padilla, Heath Bell, just to name a few.
    That's just pitchers