1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 Spring Training

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 7, 2016.

1. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Reed with another bomb. Loving his spring.

2. Progs

Progs Member

Hopefully, he keeps it up during the regular season.

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Do we even know that he will be on the regular season team?

4. Grydian

Grydian Member

If we keep 12 pitchers he probably will however if we keep holt then its likely he will start the year in AAA. You have to wonder if he is smashing the ball at the end of spring still at this rate that you have to get him on the team. I wonder if Guriel can play real innings in LF.

5. codell

codell Contributing Member

If Reed makes the team then the loser is Gattis. I would think Beltran stays in LF most games and Gurriel/Reed split 1B/DH. Sick lineup when you think about it.

Springer CF
    Bregman 3B
    Altuve 2B
    Correa SS
    Beltran LF
    Reed 1B
    Gurriel DH
    Reddick RF
    McCann C

6. Buck Turgidson

Someone has to be the backup catcher. That will be Gattis.

7. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

I assume he meant playing time, not roster spot. I would think Aoki could be at the most risk on roster spot if Reed does make the team. You don't need him, Marisnik and Gurriel as light-hitting (or low upside, at least) platooners. Or they just start with 12 pitchers.

Reed in minors doesn't add any value - we know he can hit there. We have to answer whether he has a chance to be a real contributor in the majors.

8. Buck Turgidson

I gotcha and I agree. I've been hoping Reed would get his **** together all winter/spring, I have high hopes for him.

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If Reed makes the roster I think it shifts Gurriel into a utility role that would result in less ABs for Marisnick, Marwin, and Gattis. As the starters in RF, LF, and 1B are all lefties, Gurriel would make good sense as platoon partners for all 3, and he'd also likely get some time at DH as well as backing up 3B. He could also effectively work as the backup 2B/SS since they can just put him at 3B and shift Bregman to 2B/SS when Altuve/Correa needs a day off. Marwin and Marisnick would be relegated to defensive replacement and pinch runner roles, and Gattis would be strictly a platoon catcher. The other (simpler) outcome would be that Gurriel becomes the everyday LF, making Aoki an odd man out.

Either way, having Reed reach his ceiling would make this by far the best, deepest lineup in baseball.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I agree Aoki is not a given to make team, and is the most likely to get traded if Astros need a roster spot. That said, I wonder if Marwin is also on the trade block. Seems like Bregman is a better SS backup. Gurriel can play 2B/3B. I think Reed and Moran are realistic options as the backup IF if Bregman backs up SS.

P.S. I doubt Gurriel is a light hitting or a low-upside platoon player.

Edit: I do think it is a bit crazy to consider Marwin on trade block. Just seems like Astros need him less.

#130 Joe Joe, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    right1 likes this.
  11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

So far this Spring Redick McCann and Gurriel have done nothing to show us that they can do anything but cash checks.

And honestly after our experience with vets the past few years (Rasmus, Gomez) what reason do we have to be dissuaded from this skepticism? I'll believe it when I see it.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Unless you think Moran is going to be the MVP with his 1.300 something OPS, I think worrying about spring stats (outside of extremely bad K%) is not needed for hitters.

13. codell

codell Contributing Member

Yes. To clarify, I didn't mean that Reed would take Gattis's roster spot, but rather his DH ABs, either directly or indirectly. Who plays 1B would obviously be whoever is the batter fielder with the lesser moving into the DH role. Gattis over into a straight platoon with McCann.

Heck, would they look to trade Gattis if Reed makes the roster?

Rileydog likes this.
  14. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

post #116 updated

#134 tellitlikeitis, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    No Worries likes this.
  15. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2017...base-prospect-a-j-reed-hot-in-spring-training

16. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Definitely true that Reed's doing well in ST. The shocking thing to me is that in a similar number of bats Colin Moran actually has a slightly higher OPS than Reed (1.253 vs 1.234). If he has a career season in the minors and turns his prospect value around, that could prove huge at the trade deadline.

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The value that Reed adds is that he can play every day in AAA.

#137 No Worries, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  18. PhiSlammaJamma

This Reed is exactly what the team is missing and would push them over the edge. We need a bomber that can slug too. It's almost worth giving him another look if he's earned it, which he has. And yep, It would be bold to sit Gurriel, but sometimes u have to do what u have to do just to know if he reached his potential against big league pitching. Gurriel deserves an equal shot too, as he's only in year 2, and should make a jump, but he's much older, so I'd let Reed play his way out of the position at this point. Likely won't happen that way. But Reed gains nothing being in AAA as he's beyond what he can do there. He needs to see more major league pitching. Stealing Gattis AB's would be an option as I think we know what Gattis is and it's not that special, nor a difference maker.

#138 PhiSlammaJamma, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  19. Buck Turgidson

That's just incredibly silly. Borderline stupid. Altuve is hitting under .100, should we be worried about him (or Correa/Springer/Gattis/etc)?

Mike Trout's first year in the majors (granted, he was only 19 years old): .220 .281 .390 .672

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I mostly agree. But if cold hitting lingers into the late pre-season, then it could be indicative of a guy who may start the season slowly. If Altuve is still hitting .100 two weeks from now, then a certain degree of concern may have merit. He would catch fire at some point I have no doubt, even if the former came to be. So I am not worried at this point, no. Stats/performance begin to tell a meaningful story towards the end of pre-season though.