1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Jan 3, 2017.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I really don't get the Fingerprint placement hiderance thing. Isn't really much an issue for me on my S8.

What remains an issue? Shitty Samsung Apps that **** out a shitload of shitastic shittery.

I'm just a sucker for the edge screen. God its nice. I enjoy that.

Pixi,Siri,b****by all of them can die. Can we get a ******* English butler voice?

G6 looks really nice. Would probably have been my 2nd choice even over a Pixel XL.

I actually enjoy using Samsung Pay and it works mostly everywhere.

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Have you used the fingerprint sensor on the 6P? It's about 1000x better.

I do like the screen, I don't regret getting the s8, just wish the Pixel was good enough competition to warrant choosing it. It's not, so S8 it is.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yeah I was seriously considering the Pixel for a while, but I need a Snapdragon 835 processor and an infinity screen.

If the Note 8 ends up being a serious improvement, I'll consider trading in, but for now I'm very pleased with the S8.

4. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

sure the s8/+ look pretty. was pretty impressed with the hardware, but i've always been impressed with their hardware... the last three iterations anyway. it's fun to look at.

then it's the inevitable slowdown/dropped frames/micro-stutters and samsung neglecting their own variant of the next version of android for 6 to 7 months after its introduction. happened with their nougat update for the s7 and s7 edge when developer previews for android O were already out.

essentially the only thing that's changed with the galaxy line is the screen. something that's been done by sharp first, then xiaomi, lg, and pretty soon, essential and iphone. the only thing that differentiates samsung from everyone else is touchwiz. it's just a crap differentiator that year after year it's supposedly "lighter", but later end up running a script or dl'ing some random app to debloat it.

no thx. software optimizations first pls. would trust google's pixel, andy rubin's team at essential, and the folks who left paranoid android to work at oneplus before trusting samsung again.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

My wife's OnePlus One just broke.

She needs a new phone and quick.

Basically just for browsing Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, etc.

Cheaper the better. Go!

I have an Axon 7. That or a OnePlus 3T?

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i know nothing about smartphones -- only use a phone for making calls and want the smallest one possible to fit in my jeans pocket. i might also use it to listen to the radio. these are the 2 models they showed me at the store: sony x compact & iphone se. please don't laugh :D

the sony seems better built (maybe b/c it's made in taiwan?) and comes with fm radio and some kind of anti-scratch gorilla glass. the iphone looks like it has no radio and i can't even plug my headphones in, but it's smaller and compatible w/ itunes.

which one should i buy?

7. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

Should be plenty other options if all you need is for music and calls. Get the cheapest one?
    Also itunes?

8. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The iphone SE should have a headphone jack. That shouldn't be an issue. It won't have the FM radio though. I wouldn't worry about build quality. Apple does just fine in that department and has glass that is just as good as Sony's.

Personally, I would go with the iphone se over the sony. The camera is much better on the iphone and if you ever decide to do more with your phone, the iphone will still get updates and support from Apple. Sony's mobile division has been underwater for years now and they've had plenty of issues.

pippendagimp likes this.
  9. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

More info is leaking about Microsoft's mobile plans... 2017 may finally be the year for the Surface Phone that can run x86 apps (hopefully). Until then, I'm okay with my Pixel XL and have no real desire to upgrade to anything else for the next year or so.

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

thanks you are right, the iphone se does have the headphone jack. the camera isn't that important to me, what i prefer about the sony is the interface and way it feels holding it vs. the iphone. but thanks for the heads up about sony's poor aftermarket support. i really don't like the iphone but there may be no other choice. especially if i want to play old purchased songs from itunes

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i bought ~1000 songs from itunes over the past dozen yrs........most of them only play with an apple device becaust they're protected files, and it would be too much a pain to download them all elsewhere now

12. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Sony's interface will age terribly. They've been bad at supporting Android updates and Android as a whole just doesn't age as well as iOS in terms of basic stability. If you're looking at a long term purchase for basic phone functions, Apple is a no brainer. Also if you have TMobile, they're doing a buy one get one free for the iphone SE.

13. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

I think android has matured that you dont need the latest update for anything major. Same with ios. I used my Nexus 4 til early this year and I didn't feel the need to update.

pippendagimp;
    I used to be the same way with my mp3s. Feeling like I have to lug them around across devices and laptops. I switched to streaming and its been a huge relief.

14. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

15. OmegaSupreme

and so it begins. pixel/xl 2 aspect ratio similar to essential phone, which may mean smaller bezels?

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

When is the Pixel 2 coming out? I'm just about ready to move on from my Note 3.

ubigred likes this.
  17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Rumor that Google is switching to LG OLEDs.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  18. OmegaSupreme

likely the same time as last year. not sure. was announced on oct 4th. mine was delivered on oct 24th. ordered before link was accessible through the google store.

19. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Any good unlocked GSM phones around $250 - $300?

I don't need all the latest bells and whistles.

I was looking at the Moto G5 plus.

I don't want to do an installment plan.

20. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

you have a good chance of getting a few flagships last year around that price range refurbished through eBay or other sites through Slickdeals, anywhere from S7, LG G5, HTC 10

just keep checking Slickdeals

Chilly_Pete likes this.