1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Jan 3, 2017.

1. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

any new non-Korean brand phones out there??

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

My Nexus 6P is starting to lose it's luster. I want an android phone I can root (gotta have that adaway son) and it has to have a good camera. What options do I have? I'm half tempted to wait on the Pixel 2. I don't know if I could trick myself into buying a Samsung ever again, even if it somehow becomes root capable.

3. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

6P still working flawlessly but I have a feeling its just a matter of time :(
    Shame though cos its a tank of a phone with all the right things going for it.

4. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I think I'm going to jump on that blackberry key one. Might not be root-able but I just like that keyboard so much.

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Never been big on BB. Might take a look.

6. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Supposedly each hardware key can be a shortcut key. No more icons on the home screen! Haha.

It's also a touchpad so you can do gestures on it. You'd have to be into smaller screens as it only has a 4.5".

I'm just tired of touch screen keyboards. They just aren't that accurate. There are times I just forget about sending a long message because I have to make to many corrections. I'd rather just voice reply but I only do that in the car. I didn't like the slider that blackberry put out before because it made the phone massive to work with when the keyboard was out but the key one looks to hit the sweet spot.

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

#87 ItsMyFault, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
  8. Pizza_Da_Hut

So I switched to an s8+. It's strange. It's android, but it doesn't feel android. Still getting used to it. I miss the pure Android experience, but maybe this won't bother me as much as I'm fearing it will.

9. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Mods are going to be a tough thing without an industry standard. Who wants to buy one if they are obsolete after one phone. Anyways, if you want something different from the normal flagships, the Essential Phone is probably fine.

If you want something more bang for the buck though (Samsung waterproofing, Pixel updates), personally I'd stay with one of those.

10. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Yeah the updates are a bigger concern for me than anything else.

11. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Talking about the 6p. Any fixes, or advice to prevent the bootloop? Does one just refuse to install updates?

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Mine is still running like a champ, I just wanted something new. I rooted a long time ago and have been running different forms of Pure Nexus roms. Plus, with Magisk you can still use things like Android Pay and Pokemon Go.

ferrari77 likes this.
  13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I was planning to wait for the iPhone 8 but was able to snag a new S7 Edge for $200, which was too good of a deal to pass up. Now I am hopeful that the iPhone 8 isn't that good so I don't have to upgrade

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

What is the killer feature they are going to announce? I mean, if weren't for the exclusivity of the apple watch to the iPhone I wouldn't even waste my time looking at what apple offers in that sphere at all. I'm not a mac person, and while I have liked iPhones in the past, I've been consistently underwhelmed showing after showing after showing. The S7 for $200 is an insane price, where did you see it?

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

For me, the fingerprint scanner embedded on the front touch screen would be enough to make me want the phone. That would be the most innovative feature that we have seen on a smartphone in years. I never wanted the S8 because of the bad fingerprint scanner placement. As for where I got the S7 Edge, Walmart was clearing out stock and was selling both the S7 Edge and S7 for $200 no contract. You'd be hardpressed to find any now though since people have been hunting them down for a couple weeks now.

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

God that's why I loved my 6p. The s8 fingerprint scanner isn't horrible, but the 6p just got me. That phone was ahead of its time, unfortunately now it's behind the times.

That's a smoking deal on the s7. I wish I had seen it for my dad.

17. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

took a second look at it after @Dave2000 mentioned it. went ahead and signed up. seeing andy rubin with it kinda sold me. i'm a symmetry guy, but it looked great in hand.

yeah... sammy ran out of time for the embedded fingerprint sensor. that's the reason for the godawful placement on the s8. word is the note 8 will have it (please no lame fire jokes).

Dave2000 likes this.
  18. fba34

I give mine a week or so before I install the monthly updates.

19. fba34

20. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I'm interested into seeing how far the Essential device goes, I signed up for it since they're wasn't a payment required.

But I did just get the LG G6 beginning of May and love it so far. I got the international version which restricts me to connect to band 2 on MetroPCS but noticed on my 6P I mostly connected to band 4/12, and around the Toyota Center was band 4 which was the most important one for me. The upside of the international version is that it is 64GB, double of the US version, and has the Hi-Fi + DAC audio feature but lacks the wireless charging. The wide angle lens is incredible and not sure if I could go back to a regular lens only based on the pics I took at the U2 concert last week.