1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Jan 3, 2017.

1. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

USB Type C and OLED is behind the times at this point. Again not an advancement or upgrade for $1000 price tag.

You've gotta be an absolute Apple nut hugging w**** to be willing to pay this price

Dave2000 likes this.
  2. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

the s8 is looking nice. just not sure if i would be able to get past the fingerprint scanner. it's as if they partnered with "the north face" for awkward,non-ergonomic fingerprint design placement. considering it's a button/sensor that would likely be used most often, i just don't get it. on the fence...

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  3. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Any t-mobile employees got a hook up code they want to give out?

4. jsingles

jsingles Member

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Q for people knowledge on phone cameras:

Which is better: Camera on Nokia 6 or camera on Moto G5 Plus?

6. likestohypeguy

Are there any "pure" android phones at least 6" this year?

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

likestohypeguy likes this.
  8. likestohypeguy

Whoa 6.4"!

Lenovo is moto now right, I know it won't be google/nexus pure, but that thing isn't going to be bloated right?

Wish there was a 6" pixel.

edit:

"Motorola has long been a fan of near-stock Android, and I'm glad its parent company, Lenovo, seems just as fond of it. The Phab 2 Pro ships with a build of Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow that has been left almost completely untouched. Seriously, there are no extra widgets, no visual junk, no bloatware. If you put the Tango-specific stuff aside, there are but a few add-ons: an app for simple file sharing, another for cloud backups, a sound recorder, a Dolby Atmos app for audio tuning and Accuweather. The rest of Lenovo's work on the software front is much subtler, and largely meant to make using such a big phone easier."

from engadget. Must be. So big, shame only one speaker. Interesting though, I didn't know they made all those 6" plus phones, thanks.

9. what

what Member

It might be behind the times, but it is something that many want. With a usb-c monitor and an apple phone, you really can just have a phone and everything else works.

usb-c will have so many applications. Maybe windows 10 (at some point) will be in the cloud, and thus you hook up your phone to your usb-c monitor, and can get a windows 10 environment.

10. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

Thought I could live with amoled color mode out of the box, relented and switched on the sRGB. Just bugged me too much to ignore

11. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Amazon is having a one day sale for the new Blu Life One X2 mini starting at 10am central 3/17/17. It'll be $50 off making it $130. Link

The specs are very decent for the price. Snapdragon 430, 4gb RAM, 64gb storage with a combo dual sim/ one sim + sd card slot, fingerprint reader, quick charge 3.0, 5.0" fullHD screen, and 13MP camera with Sony IMX258 sensor.

The main drawback is the small battery size at 2300mAh. Good for light usage, but unlikely to make it through a full day of heavy usage.
    EDIT: the blu sales guide says the battery is 3000mah, which is a much more reasonable number. Hopefully that's right.

I've used a couple of Blu phones before and the quality is hit and miss. They have some winners and some really crappy ones. Amazon's return policy is definitely welcome here.

#71 jchu14, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  12. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

damn, that's not a bad phone I could've got for my dad, but it's 100% claimed

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good luck. Just had to buy a ZTE Blade V8 Pro because my Blu Vivo XL won't charge anymore - this has been an issue for months, but it appears the phone just will not charge at all anymore no matter what I do. I passed on that phone for $130 because of the various issues I've had with this phone and because I stocked up on USB-C chargers; no going back to microUSB for me!

Here's to hoping the ZTE does what I need.

14. Dash

Dash Member

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

So how is the new 18:9 screen ratio? Looks weird in the videos I've seen so far.

16. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

17. Burko

Burko Member

I've got a Xiaomi Mi Mix, if you're able to get your hands on one I'd highly recommend it.......

18. likestohypeguy

I don't particularly like it, just holding/looking at it. Think I'd rather have a smaller screen size and not change the ratio, unless it were much bigger (to keep it fitting in a back pocket).

I'm sure you get used to it, then seems normal.

19. Dash

Dash Member

Where can I get one, and is there a payment plan for it?

20. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

should be able to exchange it if under warranty. I'm out of warranty on mine, changed out the battery 2 months ago and has been working flawlessly. Old battery just drained quicker than usual, it improved after Nougat last August but still used my power bank more than i should. I paid like $12 for an OEM battery off eBay, and had a store install it for $35

Dash likes this.