1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 NFL Combine and Workouts Thread - News and Notes

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Feb 28, 2017.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

Fournette was also dropping passes. but I still like.

Where is Greg Ward Jr.?

The Ross 40 record is weird because the Chris Johnson shadow was still faster to the finish line. Either way it doesn't matter. He's fast. When Chris Johnson and Deion hit the NFL those 40 times translated into BIG plays, like 60 yards or more multiple times. I like.

2. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

http://draftanalyst.com/five-players-watch-during-sunday’s-workout-and-eight-observations-saturday

Eight Observations from Day 2

1) Deshaun Watson had a terrific day while Mitch Trubisky and Davis Webb looked sharp at times, but overall it was not a good day for the signal callers. As one veteran of several combines said to me, “I’ve never seen so many passes hit the ground.”

2) It’s really too bad Jerod Evans did not return to Virginia Tech for another season. Had he done so and improved his game, he could’ve been a first-round pick in 2018. He offers superior arm strength and made some amazing throws Saturday. On other occasions, he looked pedestrian at best.

3) DeShone Kizer needs a lot of technical work, and I mean a lot. His footwork and foot placement are terrible at times. He hurt himself here Saturday.

4) I graded Isaiah Ford as a late fourth-round pick and may have overrated him. There is nothing special about his game, and the inability to run faster than 4.64s at 194 pounds is going to kill his draft stock.

5) As reported Friday, expect major red flags to start popping up on Dede Westbrook for his lack of participation here and at the Senior Bowl.

6) I reported Friday that several teams had Evan Engram and David Njoku neck-and-neck on their tight end boards. I’ve since learned Engram has passed Njoku on a few of those boards.

7) Adam Shaheen is going to be selected earlier in the draft than many expect. He caught the ball very well Saturday, and his ability to time under 4.8s in the 40 at 278 pounds was impressive.

8) What impressed me most about Gerald Everett was his route-running on Saturday. He was quick and crisp into routes in addition to running well and doing a good job catching the ball.

3. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

I wouldn't judge Fuller after just one season which wasn't even that bad (47 catches for 635 yards) especially for a rookie receiver with a terrible QB and offensive system. The same system and QB made Hopkins, an absolute stud, look quite mediocre. I think Fuller has the chance to be a real playmaker. Ross is an explosive player but he has his flaws as well. He, like Fuller, struggles against physical corners and has small hands. And he has had major injuries to both knees already. He had microfracture surgery after the 2014 season and acl surgery prior to the 2015 season.

zeeshan2 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Ross may be a more complete receiver coming out of college, but his smaller frame, playing in a physical league, already being rocked by lower body injuries, scares me.

I mean, the guy has had multiple lower body injuries. He had to pull out of the rest of the combine drills after running the 40, because his calves tightened up on him for Christ's sake. That's got to draw some red flags.

Meanwhile, the greatest receiver of all time ran a 4.71 40.

Speed, often times - especially straight line, non padded speed - is overrated.

Yaosthirdleg and zeeshan2 like this.
  5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

If we can't one of the big names early I would take a flyer on Joshua Dobbs. I watched the combine highlights of all the guys and I thought he looked great.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

TJ looks small

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Some 3 cone times for edge guys

Derek Rivers- 6.94

Solomon Thomas- 6.96

Derek Barnett- 6.96

Taco Charlton- 7.17

Tarell Basham- 7.27

Tim Williams- 7.36

Carl Lawson- 7.46

Charles Harris- 7.47

Takkarist McKinley- 7.48

9. PhiSlammaJamma

If I'm Ross, play Nike against Adidas and get yourself something out of it. I'm sure Adidas would consider giving him a smaller island for switching up. And Nike could definitely get some press for ponying up.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I like what I saw from Isaac Asiata and Aviante Collins during the combine. Good testing all around. Great pick ups in the early -mid rounds (2-4). Two powerful, quick RT/RG types.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Myles Garrett is like the X24 to Von Miller's X23.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

The Villanova guy is an excellent sleeper.

17. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

I'm not sure he's much of a sleeper anymore. Some draftniks are saying he might go in the 2nd round now.

18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I hope we draft obi.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  19. raining threes

Going to have to use a 1st on him.

Too rich for my blood

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Why no love for Greg Ward?