1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 MLB Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jan 27, 2017.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

He turned 21 less than a month ago. He's just a kid who's made childish decisions. Smoking weed? Taking a picture with a bong? Fighting a teammate? None are good looks, obviously. And clearly that's not a type of behavior UH can endorse.

Maybe this is the lesson he needed. I'm not gung-ho about drafting risky players. But if a stud drops and the risk is palatable, and we think we can address it--than I'm good with it. Not saying we should difinitively draft him. All depends who else is on the board at 15.

My point was that he might be talented enough--and his youthful errors harmless enough--to take him.

2. Nook

Nook Member

He wasn't kicked off UH for prioritizing his MLB future over the team. He is out of control and never should have been reinstated to begin with but UH was desperate. He has serious off the field issues.

texans1095 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Hell, it worked for (eta) "I'm Matt ****ing Bush"...12 years later. Only took Hamilton 8, I can't give you the stats on the guys who just flamed out, because nobody remembers them.

(eta2) Singleton might be a reference point for guys who had problems, never cared enough and got paid and then....

#83 Buck Turgidson, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
  4. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Another mock draft coming in hot.

Chris Crawford considers Virginia OF Adam Haseley as a "solid value pick" at #15. He previously had the Astros picking Seth Romero.

5. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Sorry for being naive -- I don't follow college baseball or the Cougars -- but what are his off the field issues? Another poster suggested he liked to smoke weed. If that is the extent of it, I don't see that as a big enough red flag for us to pass.

6. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Sounds like the problems go much, much deeper than weed.

#86 tellitlikeitis, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017
    texans1095 likes this.
  7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

MLB.com mock is up, they have Astros taking 3B Jake Burger. Here are the groups of prospects I'd like to see Houston zero in on:

15: HS RHP Shane Baz, HS OF Austin Beck, college RHP Griffin Canning, college OF Jeremy Kendall
    53: HS LHP Trevor Rogers, HS OF Tristen Lutz, HS C Hagen Danner, HS OF Heliot Ramos (overslot, pretty confident at least one of those will fall)
    56, 75, 91: college RHP Jake Thompson, college C Riley Adams (underslot), college RHP Glen Otto, college C Evan Skoug, college LHP Seth Romero, college OF Michael Gigliotti, college RHP Zach Pop, college C Connor Wong

Then focus on college bats (with 1-2 Sr signs to save money for whoever they pick at 53) in rounds 4-10. 11-40 should focus purely on high upside: injured college arms, college hitters with one elite tool, under the radar HS players with soft bonus demands, JuCo players.

8. Progs

Progs Member

David Peterson from Oregon is intriguing.

9. Buck Turgidson

Not showing up; or
    Showing up when he wants to
    Failing tests
    Being out of shape
    Physically fighting with his teammates
    Verbally fighting with his coaches

Million dollar arm with a ten cent brain.

10. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Someone with a lower pick (20's or later) is gonna roll the dice on his upside, because the talent is top 10 level, I hope the astros want no part of that with their first pick.

texans1095 likes this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Most definitely someone will roll dice. However, late first round picks, without looking it up, probably have historically given about 20 million surplus value. Doubt a team risks it on their first pick. My guess would be early second to a team that saved some slot money with first pick at the earliest. Granted, that is not much different than a late first in value, but seems teams are more willing to go low makeup after they have picked once. Teams have been more willling lately to take injured players in late first so you may be right... still no way talent available at 15 makes it worth taking the risk as others have suggested.

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

He doesn't have the leverage most juniors have, since he does not have a college program who wants him back. He will be lucky to sign at slot.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

His lack of leverage would suggest may not need extra slot money then or that he would drop further.

No Worries likes this.
  14. vonwafer234

vonwafer234 Member

Nook and No Worries like this.
  15. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

First round Astros could draft Keston Hiura (college 2B/OF, 60 hit tool) and sign him to an significantly under slot deal since it looks like he might need TJ surgery. Insurance if the Astros lose 'Tuve in FA.

Then we know the 'Stros will find high upside guys with strong commits in the next few rounds to spend those savings on.

16. Progs

Progs Member

Evan White/Kentucky

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Astros appear to have Keston Hiura in their sights. Baseball America doesn't think that he'll fall to 15 though; they have him going 12th to Pittsburgh.

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I'd be really happy with Kendall at 15. Assuming Baz doesn't make it that far.

19. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Damn, I wasn't thinking there was much of a chance that Hiura would be off the board. I guess the success of recent advanced college bats (Benintendi, Bregman, Schwarber, Happ) is driving his stock up.

20. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Agreed. I'd be super happy with Kendall. He's like the Buxton of college OF'ers, ridiculously toolsy and can make a big impact even if his hit tool is only average. If he successfully reworks his swing he could easily be the best player in the draft class down the line.

I know college players that have sub-optimal batting profiles are red flags, but the Astros haven't been shy taking guys like Springer or Fisher. (granted Springer's contact problems were a lot less problematic than Kendall's).

It's sounds like most people are thinking college bat for the Astros.