1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 draft sleepers

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ThatBoyNick, Apr 8, 2017.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Haha, I told you it was unprofound and unconvincing! But the gif afterwards actually illustrates more of what I'm saying. I really think basketball either comes to you more naturally, or you better be focused. He has a lot of moments where his guard is down.

Have you watched this yet?

basketballholic likes this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Thats an example of very poor positioning and defensive footwork/technique, it's fixable. He wasn't outmuscled. Oliver is actually a solid post defender from what I've seen, I've watched about 5 full games (all on youtube if you want to check them out) and he protects the rim very well usually, not only does he protect the rim from the weakside but in the post as well in one on one situations against centers.

How do you make a gif from the DX video? That's pretty cool.

DX literally gave post defense as a weakness and strength. Lol. I don't expect you to watch full games, but I have and I can tell you he seems really solid as a post defender, he's not easily moved and is good at contesting and making shots difficult. He doesn't just block a lot of shots, he changes a lot of them. It's the footwork/technique that seems to be his biggest problem. He hasn't been coached very well at all in multiple facets of his game, sure I'd like him to better coached but I'm telling you if he was I really doubt he'd be anywhere close a 2nd rounder.

He can fix those kinks in his game, if he has the work ethic and a good coach

#122 ThatBoyNick, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
    Yaosthirdleg and don grahamleone like this.
  3. don grahamleone

Giphy lets you make those from just the youtube urls. Pretty cool little trick. But it won't accept videos above something like 10 minutes, so the full games won't work. Where did you find the links? I'll watch them. It'll give me a way better idea of who he is defensively.

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I just youtube Nevada basketball, filter by this year and 20+ minutes long and a handful of full games will pop up. (You can likely find games for almost any team doing that if you want to check out others players).

Here's a recent and entertaining game, featuring Oliver from Nevada and Gian Clavell from Colorado who also might be a decent undrafted pickup. Another decent player is this game on Nevada is Marcus Marshall who like Gian Clavell is a knock down 3pt shooter and scorer.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Gian-Clavell-87164/

I think Oliver only had like 1 block in the game but you can see how many shots he changes.

don grahamleone likes this.
  5. don grahamleone

Alright, I'm two games in and his focus seems to be there. I'm no longer down on him other than his weight and height. More is always better though.

That being said, I think we should draft a 3 and a 5 this year and Oliver seems like a 4. Would probably go very well when you go small with him. He's got a little Draymond in him.

6. Normalus

Normalus Member

7. basketballholic

And we agree again.

8. basketballholic

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

But how can you ignore the significant defensive rebounding, shot blocking and 3pt shooting difference between Harrell and Oliver? They aren't close to being similar players.

Somehow Oliver is Harrell, but Bell is Draymond to you. These comparisons are way off, you aren't comparing the skills at all, you just see Oliver as another athletic undersized forward and jump to compare him to Harrell, you just see Bell is tenacious on defense and jump to compare him to Green. Both without comparing the glaring skill set differences between all of these players.

It reminds of people who think Harrell is like Faried, they see athletic undersized PF's with dreads but completely ignore the gigantic defensive rebounding difference. Comparing the two is criminal because that one skill make Faried's impact on the floor night and day to Harrell's. Same with comparing Bell to Green, and Oliver to Harrell.

10. ball king23

ball king23 Member

i would pick xaiver rathan mayes or frank mason or josh heart with the second pick in the second round at 45 at 43 I would take a pf like oliver or alapha or a bolden also kobi simmons would be a good pick also if available

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'll take Caleb Swanigan at our pick if he's there. I know there are major weaknesses to his game but worst case scenario I still see him contributing. I imagine old-man Scola but with rebounding in place of post moves. And in today's league, I'll take that trade off.

12. basketballholic

I agree with Don that Oliver is a marginal prospect. Don't see him making an impact or having much more than a cup of coffee in the Association. I see red flags that turn me off. Slow defensive reactions. Attitude. Work ethic. Bball IQ.

He didn't make it through my initial screening. And when I came back after the combine and screened again, didn't make it through again.

Once again, just to be clear and keep you from distorting my comments on Bell, I said he was the player MOST LIKE DRAYMOND IN THIS DRAFT. I did not say he was exactly like Draymond or was Draymond. Bell will have to add to his game considerably to reach Draymond's level.

Let's keep that clear please.

(And actually I alluded to Bolden in that post too, having some Draymond attributes. And I still want him and Mason out of this draft more than any other players.)

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You not seeing him being a good player, concerned with his BBIQ, worth ethic, attitude is all totally fine and your right of opinion even if I disagree. I just don't see the Harrell comparison at all.

And yes, you said most like Draymond in the draft.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

His rebounding is very good, he has super soft hands around the rim as a finisher, he's also developing a nice 3pt shot. Those combination of skills alone should keep him in the league a long time, the question is will his defense be so bad that he's limited to being a spot up minute rebounder/scorer like Kanter is. He basically has to play center because he's not nearly quick enough to guard PF's, but at center, he's undersized. So he's in a tough spot. At least Kanter is 6'11 260, at least Monroe is 6'11, Swanigan isn't even 6'9, and is only at 245 even being overweight.

He's still clearly really out of shape though, which gives hope that if he can loose all his fat that he will become quick enough to defend PF's respectably. He could end up being one of the top players in the draft if that happens because of his rebounding and offensive skill set.

15. basketballholic

Don may have been channeling you in comparing Oliver to Harrell.

2017 draft sleepers

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I said imagine if Harrell could shoot 3's and was a good defensive rebounder. They are both 6'8, athletic and good finishers, but the defensive rebounding, shot blocking and 3pt shooting is night and day. I was creating a image on what I believe Oliver could be in the NBA.

It's like if you personally where to say, imagine if Capela had a high BBIQ, very quick defensive reactions and a reliable 3pt jumper, neither that imagined potential player nor his career would be comparable to Capela in your eyes correct? It's just building a image.

Another example, Harrell + elite defensive rebounding IS Faried. But in my eyes their production nor careers are comparable due to the fact that Harrell doesn't get defensive rebounds.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Dillon Brooks is someone who I don't want to like due to his poor length, meh rebounding, just okay defense, good but not great athleticism.

That being said his driving ability is excellent and when I watch him he just impresses me with how active he is. He stands out as a a player who would fit well in Houston on offense. He has a nice quickness and strength combination for a SF, great feel for the game, good ball handling skills, good finishing ability and a respectable jumper. He could be a nice versatile offensive player at the next level, I get a feeling he could be someone the Rockets are interested in.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

20. rocketseagles07

I just don't see trimble being anything more than the last pg on an NBA roster.

As for Swanigan, I love him, his story and his work ethic but unless we move up we won't be able to get him