1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 ClutchFans Mock Draft - Texans 1st Round v 1.0

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Mar 27, 2017.

?

Who will the Texans pick in the first round of the 2017 NFL Draft?

1. OT Cam Robinson, Alabama

2. QB Patrick Mahomes, Texas Tech

3. OT Garrett Bolles, Utah

4. S Jabrill Peppers, Michigan

5. QB Deshaun Watson, Clemson

6. OT Ryan Ramczyk, Wisconsin

7. QB Mitchell Trubisky, North Carolina

8. S Justin Evans, Texas A&M

9. LB Takkarist McKinley, UCLA

10. S Obi Melinfonwu, Connecticut

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Nimo

Nimo Member

That is what I'm thinking. Webb, Kaaya, or Peterman in the 2nd. Though they might be available in the 3rd, I doubt they take the chance again after allegedly losing out on Jimmy G.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

That wouldn't shock me.

3. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Definitely my feeling as well. If we draft a OT in the first, I think Webb is the plan

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Obi, Mahomes, Cam, Watson, Bolles, or Ramczyk. Lots of choices I know haha

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If they miss out on Mahomes (expected) my 2nd choice would be Webb.

6. edwardc

edwardc Member

I saw on one site it was Dobbs in the 4th round.

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

No, I'm saying in the first. Honestly, I don't know why. Just a feeling I have.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

Now that would be a shock.

9. Pete the Cheat

So if Trubisky drops y'all aren't biting?

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'm really starting to like Christian McCaffrey. If they miss out on Mahomes in the 1st, this would be a good pick.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Me too but his skill set is a little redundant with Lamar Miller, Ervin, and to an extent Braxton Miller on the roster. What they really need is a big, power back to complement Lamar.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Nevermind. I keep forgetting about Braxton Miller.

13. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Best player available depending on grade, imho. I don't have the top 5 QB's graded
    well in this yrs draft (mid-2nd rd picks......that I won't move into 1st rd because I don't believe in college
    QB spread offense......don't take snaps from center/shot gun guys). Dak has been the exception lately; but
    he has a great offensive line, running backs, All-World TE(Witten) , and All-World WR (Dez).

My preference in 1st round:
    1) TJ Watt OLB/ILB (top choice)
    1B) Jabrill Peppers S (if available....TJ Watt over Peppers due to quality Safeties available in mid-rounds)
    1C) Ramczyk OT
    1C) Bolles OT

I feel like Cushing can slide over into Jon Simons OLB position. Cushing can set the edge vs the run
    game. Pressure the QB better than Simon did. One weak area for the Texans has been coverage
    of running backs & TE's coming across the field. Cushing diminishing skills needs to be addressed.
    Dallas moved Sean Lee to OLB to decrease his responsibilities and save him from injury risk by not
    asking him to cover sideline to sideline. TJ Watt can project to both ILB & OLB. I would play Cushing
    at OLB next to JJ Watt with TJ at ILB next to McKinney. On goal line or short yardage I would flip them.
    Cushing back to ILB and TJ Watt at OLB. Sit Cushing and play TJ at OLB and Max Burroughs at ILB.
    Dead money of cutting Cushing this year is about $5 mil.....$1.2 mil at seasons end. Texans need to
    prepare for Cushing departure. JJ Watt will lobby hard for TJ Watt if available at #25.....Texans will
    accommodate JJ's wish.
    Clowney/JJ Watt/ TJ Watt /Cushing /Mercilus will all be moved along the line
    of scrimmage.

I see shades of Polamalu (5'10") in Peppers (5'11"). Will need to learn to cover down field; but can knock
    down balls for the time being. Will supply the Texans D line of scrimmage dominance (even in the flats)
    while having ability to cover down field.....unlike Swearinger. He reads the blocking at line of scrimmage
    and acts quickly accordingly; often getting to point of attack before the blocker gets a beat
    on him. Avoids blocks while interfering with the play. A disruptive force with a nose for the ball.
    Not everyone is high on Peppers. Some see him as bust material. I don't.

14. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I would take a QB later. I actually like Kaaya in this class.

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

#35 Joe Fan, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  16. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Son of a gun. I had hopes for Jabrill Peppers at #25; but this Brett Kollman posted such a rave review
    of Jabrill on you tube. Not sure he makes it to #20. He notes Houston as a good fit for Peppers.
    Here's the clip.

#36 Jatman20, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    ghettocheeze likes this.
  17. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I don't see a quarterback in play for the Texans in the first round. There will be a run on them at 15-24. I expect Trubisky, Watson, Kizer, and Mahomes to all be gone when we get to #25. That's just the reality of the NFL: quarterbacks are at a premium. There is always a bad team willing to reach or move up to gamble on the most important position in football.

Therefore, I project the Texans select:

Jabrill Peppers (LB-S Michigan):

Houston is one two place where I see Peppers fit like a glove, the other being New England. Romeo Crennel and Bill Belichick, both covet versatility on the defense especially a player who can play multiple positions inside and outside the tackle box in their similar schemes. The more I watch Peppers on tape, the more I like his game. His versatility and elite athleticism would allow Crennel to plug him as a nickel-safety, areas the Texans need to upgrade especially after the Bouye's departure.

Peppers would naturally play strong safety in base formation, then move to nickel occasionally and be able to cover slot receivers with his athleticism, Again, he is a hybrid position, which makes him so compelling. At Michigan, he was used as an edge protector to stop runs and screens to the outside. He was very effective in that role. He could be a wrecking ball alongside Watt and Clowney in disguised schemes rushing the QB. I just don't see O'Brien and Crennel passing on Peppers at #25 knowing Belichick would quickly make a move to snatch him up and then use it against them in their AFC showdowns.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I just don't see a safety being the first round pick though. It doesn't help the O line, it doesn't help the offense in any way, and instead it piles on to the side of the ball that is already elite. It's not that they couldn't use another safety so much as it is that it's not really that pressing of an issue when compared to other positions.

19. Nook

Nook Member

No one even knows for sure that he can play safety well. He has been a linebacker.

I hope they go offensive line or linebacker.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Garrett is a flake.

The guy has very thin skinned and his work ethic has been questioned.

The guy backed out of arranged interviews because he was upset that prior guests included people critical of him.