1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

2017 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 17, 2016.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Brett Wallace...

JeeberD likes this.
  2. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A few crazy things...
    -- We'll see the role of these new international caps soon. Well over half of that list came from international signings
    -- By my count, 7 of those guys have been traded already (and that was just eye balling the list).

Alimoe84 likes this.
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Only list lately that I've seen without Tucker in Top 20.

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

6. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

7. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

.378 BABIP. Best season from an Astro minor league SP I've seen in a long time.

texans1095 and DuBose like this.
  8. Progs

Progs Member

Whitley & Tucker are both top 20 baseball prospects if not higher. They both should be with the major league team (Houston Astros) by next Summer at the latest. After trades and graduations, the Houston Astros farm system is thinner. No longer a top 5 farm system it was before the Verlander trade. It's probably top 12 now. But the Astros still have 4 high end all star quality prospects in Tucker, Whitley, Alvarez & JB. I'm extremely HIGH on Alvarez now. What he did in the minors this year was great. When Tucker and Whitley graduate to the majors next season, Alvarez and JB will lead the Houston Astros farm system, next. By then, the Houston Astros farm system would be sort of a shell of itself, but respectful nevertheless considering how Luhnow and co. can find talent pretty often if it's via draft, international signings, trades or via rule 5 draft. Plus, it's a nice trade off when the Astros have a great shot in winning their first championship or championships in the future with the current core.

Snake Diggit and Joe Joe like this.
  9. htownbball

htownbball Member

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I agree with all this. At this point Houstons farm is above average but no longer elite. They may trade away 1-2 good prospects to acquire a lefty reliever this offseason but I don't want to see them lose any more prospects outside of that. The good thing is that they should have very few needs over the next 2-3 years and can hopefully continue to replace what they lose. When you consider the # of guys they have graduated and traded away in the last 2 years it's pretty incredible:

Graduated:
    Reed
    White
    Moran
    Davis
    Kemp
    Bregman
    Fisher
    Rodgers
    Musgrove
    Martes
    Paulino
    Hoyt
    Gustave
    Guduan
    Devenski
    Jankowski

Traded:
    Cameron
    F Perez
    Rogers
    Teoscar
    Appel
    Velasquez
    H Arauz
    Eshelman
    A Abreu
    J Guzman

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

A 19 year old pitcher advancing all the way to AA putting up those numbers is damn impressive.

texans1095 likes this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure Astros farm system is still above average and if it is it is slightly above average. Astros got some great years from Tucker, Whitley, and Alvarez, but didn't really have anyone else step up (not counting 2017 draftees). Astros system seems to be a donut...some great prospects at top that won't be traded, a lot of depth for potential backups/releivers, but is missing the good prospects. I'm hoping Astros have some guys have great years next season as it looks like it may be a while after Tucker and Whitley that Astros have a few guys that are close to helping Astros.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Further, they are also poised to have a steady stream of guys each season (ETAs taken from MLB.com Top 30):

2018:
    Tucker*
    Stubbs
    Laureano
    J Martin
    Armenteros
    Deetz

2019:
    Whitley*
    C Perez
    H Perez
    F Valdez
    Straw
    Arauz
    Ferguson
    Thornton

2020:
    Y Alvarez*
    Bukauskas*
    C Martin
    M Sierra
    Celestino
    Matijevic
    Alcala
    Adcock
    Toro

2021:
    Nova
    E Rodriguez
    J Perez

#2413 Snake Diggit, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    No Worries likes this.
  14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I disagree; Houston has above average top end talent with 4 Top 100 guys (the average team will always have 3), and they have tremendous pitching and outfield depth. Their catching and infield prospects are certainly their weak spots and what is keeping them from having a very strong system, but as the lower level guys (Nova, Matijevic, M Sierra, Arauz, Cueta, J Perez, Toro, etc.) move up next season that will hopefully improve. In the offseason rankings I think we will see Houston in the 8-12 range.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros probably have 4-6 guys in the Top 200 when the average team should have 6 guys assuming the guys on the MLB roster now lose eligibility. If the Astros are above average, it is because of Tucker and Whitley are high enough ranked to make up for lack of many good prospects (i.e. 100-200). I hope Nova and Celestino step up next year. Those two seem to have the highest upside.

16. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Rankings are always top heavy. Among the guys we traded only Perez was a guaranteed top 100. Daz and Rogers may have been traded at their plateau values and even if not, I don't expect the Astros to fall more than 1-2 spots because of this trade. We went heavy into the international signings for this very reason, to give us depth at the 10-20 spots that would allow us to move guys who were having above average years. Whitley Tucker Bukauskas and Yordan are the key guys, the ones who have a chance at cracking a World Series caliber roster in the next 1-3 years.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  17. raining threes

There are some very good 2nd Tier prospects

Nova
    Acala
    Toro
    Deetz
    C. Perez
    Armentos
    J. Martin
    Laureano
    Hernandez
    Wrenn - a Fav of mine
    Benendetti- a fav of mine
    Farrell
    Adcock- a fav of mine

The farm system is still really deep. IMHO It's lacking at middle infielders although from what I've read Nova is the real deal and C, I hope make Toro a full time C. I think he's got MLB upside. The trade really didn't hurt the farm system much at all from what I've read. Of course there's many on this MB that know much more about the Talent in the MILB than I do.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

It is not your fault, but Top 100 (or Top 200) is nonsense. A team's Top 20 prospect list is also nonsense.

A better perspective is how many prospects are A+, A, A- and B+.

20. awc713

awc713 Member