1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 - 2018 will be Ryan Anderson's year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gqgeo, Jul 5, 2017.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

For someone who posts a lot, you're either pretty naive, bored or faking this.

How can you not see that any *any* response to his thread just fuels him and makes it grow bigger, you guys don't understand that you are creating the garm's ' Official Epic Ryan Anderson 2018 thread for him, just by responding....well done.

I actually think you can't be this dense, and you and @Mathrocker are actually helping him. I already know you guys chat behind the scenes about ways to toy with the GARM. You're the one who told Pounder to make his own thread of the fake news. You're obsessed with talking about Mr Motie. It's all Too much of a coincidence, for me to believe he didn't already have it planned to start the fake news thread, but wanted you to do the Os Trigonon thing to make it look oh-so innocent

#61 heypartner, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    don grahamleone likes this.
  2. heypartner

Yeah, it helps the Rockets hide Ryno by giving him less minutes. But doesn't stop any complaints that he's overpaid....actually makes them stronger ,,, no?

3. OTMax

OTMax Member

People who say he's overpaid are not taking context into consideration as several teams wanted Ryan so we had to pay up, the salary cap was expected to go way up and gave us a chance at getting Gordon who we got for damn cheap!

4. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

5. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Man Melo news has got that dead... Anderson will be relevant in 20 percent of the season games he plays and a couple of playoff games. Really a 7th or 8th guy off the bench that we are starting.

6. jayfree

jayfree Member

[​IMG]

Snow Villiers likes this.
  7. heypartner

The excuse for last year's salary jump isn't holding true anymore, as we are seeing GM correct this year to less while making drops to dump their contracts last year. He is overpaid. There no way around it.

But it was worth it, imo. That's what you're saying, no? I'm fine saying I'm glad we overpaid Ryan based on his production. I'm glad we got someone to shoot like that. No need to get defensive about the contract. Besides, his contract gets better each year. Even next year it will be solid at $40m for 2yrs...wrt people's fears it won't be moveable. Sure it will in yr 3 and definitely a value contract in year 4.

8. heypartner

So, this Anderson 2018 thread was created in early July. But between this one and the one started by a childish troll, you're going to help the troll have the Official 2017-2018 Ryno thread?

I don't understand this. Why would you choose a troll over this thread to discuss Ryno's 2018 season. You know Mr Motie/Pounder is not only a fake news troll laughing at the GARM but he isn't even Rockets fans (he's a DMoF), and has a history of bumping dead DMo threads over and over, making the GARM his personal internet playground. He'll do the same with his Ryno thread to get attention, and we're helping him.

So sad. But that's the way social media works. The Trolls always win.

9. heypartner

Run his Spurs series numbers again, without the throw-away 6th game. And recall his game winner. The OKC series was pathetic though, all around.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

He was good offensively in the Spurs series because he finally started hitting some shots, I'll give him that. However, I just think he was a liability overall for us in the playoffs when u factor in his inconsistent play, nonexistent shot making at home, lack of rebounding, and lack of defense. I think he's a weak link in the starting lineup.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i didn't realize he was a troll. sorry; just an honest mistake.

i assume guys like this get banned. why is he able to still post and start threads?

12. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Disagree. Ryno will have nearly the same stats. thanks to Harden's incredible court vision and skip passes, most of his shots were open to wide open. I don't think the new lineup offers any advantages to open him up even more.

The only thing left is his ability to convert better, and the only way to do that is to improve his long range accuracy at home, which we have no idea if he's working on.

13. heypartner

Or shoot more corner threes. With Paul and Harden on the floor, that might give Ryno more opportunities from the corner. Last year, Anderson was nearly always out front running the 41-high allowing the lessor shooters like Bev and Ariza get the corner looks. He'll still be used out front a lot, but we might run Pistol more whereby he gives A pick for Harden comping out of the corner and switches places.

With Paul and Harden as alternating spot up shooters, Ryan also could actually get more looks out front from the arc, rather than having to launch 6' behind it, too.

Bottomlime: I thought it was amazing Ryno shot 40% with how deep the defense made him shoot, and how few corner looks he got. I'd be curious to see how if his percentage of corner looks went down last year versus his career, if someone could look that up. :)

Tha_Dude and Red Chocolate like this.
  14. heypartner

As others have said, don't wish too hard for this, because hopefully we trade him and his Toyota Center struggles continue.

Snow Villiers likes this.
  15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

What analysis went into these "projected stats"? Are they yours or someone else's?

Basically you're saying he is going to double is scoring output while decreasing his FG% and raising his 3P%? Seems strange.

16. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Well, NBASavant says he's 50%+ from the corners so i see what you're talking about. I think it'll be hard for the extra 9 pts a game, but it could happen.

If his best contribution though is just corner threes, that sloot better learn to play defense. Pigeonholing himself as just a shooter of his calibre isn't the best use of a body on court.

17. heypartner

Btw: you don't really even need to look that up. Pretty much every single player in the NBA shoots a significantly higher % from the corner than above the break. So offenses take that into consideration and often put their lessor shooters at the corner to improve team shooting % overall. You can turn a 25% shooter into a 38% one that way.

Also, when you look at a single player's history of shooting and you see a significant change from his norm to a better or worse year, it is often because his % of corner attempts increased or decreased significantly with a new role or system.

For example, our new PG Demetrius Jackson had significant higher 3pt % as a fresh and soph than later. Well, that's because he wasn't Norte Dames PG those years...first round pick Jerian Grant was. Jackson had much more corner 3s. Of course, he also had less 3s off the dribble as Grants SG, too.

Tha_Dude and Red Chocolate like this.
  18. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

HeyP has made a lot of great points in this thread. If Ryno doesn't get moved, I would like to see him used more as a backup center, which will not only keep his minutes down but will allow for various small ball lineups. This team is good enough now to have the luxury of being able to choose when to finish with Capela/Ryno at C, and Ryno/Tucker/Luc at PF. He will also obviously benefit by getting to play all of his minutes with either CP3 or Harden on the floor.

19. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

I like to provide as much info where I can. Work Habit.

I don't think by changing the spot is the most (let alone sole) influential driver of increased production. There are too many factors involved in each launched shot (e.g, what the defense is doing, contested or no, good pass, shot clock). To be clear, I'm not saying that you're wrong. Just that without any data to prove your assertion, your argument isn't a given. It may suffer from diminishing returns due to the limiting factors outside of just shot location.

Plus, Ryno's corner percentage was the 50%+ I was talking about. Only if he keeps it up at an average 40%+ from those spots or shoots more threes w/ a lower %, will the change in shot location be even additive from last yrs numbers. Some napkin math based on last year's #s: Ryno played 72 games at ~14 pts/game. That means to average 22 pts, he would have had to added 576 points more over the yr, or the equivalent of 192 more threes. Last year he shot a total of 506 3-pointers. Even if you assumed he shot only corners at 53%, then he's only nailing 64 more threes than what he made last yr. That still leaves 380ish pts to find his way to 22 ppg without an increase in shots, staying way above 50% from the corners (if that's all he shoots from deep), or both.

#79 dkim1984, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  20. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Sometimes guys settle in after a full season. Ryan just needs to be more consistent shooter at home and will be fine, The dude had crazy range.