1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017/2018 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Yung-T, Jul 19, 2017.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If he isn't fully fit or too old it might be just for a shorter term.

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

BILD saying til end of season, pretty much confirms Nagelsmann as next coach.

3. Raz

Raz Member

Out of nowhere. Not sure what to think about this. On the positive side, Heynckes knows the club and a lot of the players very well and is respected by them, there will be no dispute with the team or the club bosses. On the negative side, he hasn't coached since 2013. It also means Hoeneß once again got his own way and will pretty sure reach out to Nagelsmann now. Not sure what to think about him as well, might be too early.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Them being completely sold on Nagelsmann, especially at his age, and not signing Tuchel makes me think they want to develop Nagelsmann into some kind of decade long Ferguson/Wenger project. They'll probably give the guy all the confidence and time in the world, try to instill a fresh philosophy and do a complete overhaul with young players and new approaches.

Nagelsmann definitely seems to be one of the brightest minds in football right now, I don't see him failing.

PS: A few months ago, a reputable journalist said Bayern already has an agreement with Nagelsmann and Rosen (Hoffenheim director of football), which would indicate a new front office direction as well.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

is this the beginning of the end for bayern?

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

BTW who would have thought Ribery was such a malcontent in all of this.....never a fan of his.

[​IMG]

#646 daywalker02, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Yung-T likes this.
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

is that shiva standing on a baby elephant?? damn.

Yung-T and daywalker02 like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Heynckes breh now offical, also assembled the whole gang (Hermann, Gerland, Broich) as assistants.

Hopefully gets our team back on track, Heynckes knows how to motivate these guys.

10. Raz

Raz Member

Regarding the options named in the media like Scholl, van Bommel, van Gaal or Luis Enrique that's a solid outcome. Heynckes should at least bring the team back on track to win the Bundesliga and maybe the DFB Pokal. Would be interesting to find out if Bayern really contacted Tuchel and why it didn't work out. Apparentely they asked Hummels and BVB boss Watzke about Tuchel's personality - maybe they disadvised.

#650 Raz, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

They definitely contacted Tuchel, multiple sources said there was a phone conference only hours after Ancelotti was sacked. From what info I've gathered via media sources, the biggest issue was Tuchel demanding a ton of authority and changes in our personnel, team structure, plus restructuring a lot of things like practice, physical&psychological aspects etc.

Btw, it's interesting to me how both Bayern and Tuchel didn't comment. Hoffenheim director Rosen and some media outlets today said Bayern never contacted Nagelsmann (Rosen also said he's quite confident Nagelsmann will be Hoffenheim coach next season), which makes me believe Tuchel may still still in the running for 2018. Maybe Bayern liked the things Tuchel proposed in negotiations, but didn't see them fit for the situation we are in this season, as Heynckes already knows the team and would be comfortable with the current structure.

12. Raz

Raz Member

Came to my mind as well. Maybe he just wouldn't want to take over in the middle of the season. But I'm sure some Bayern folks also have concerns about Tuchel's personality. Still think Nagelsmann is the target #1 and it wouldn't surprise me if he and Hoeneß already have a secret agreement.

13. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

But RIbery's never been known as an angel though. It wouldn't be a surprise he'd be a malcontent in this right?

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It's either Top 3 WC or no WC at all with those nice Hollanders.

Yung-T likes this.
  16. Raz

Raz Member

*Bronze or silver, never gold.

Yung-T likes this.
  17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Found this cool channel when researching Tuchel, Nagelsmann etc, great way of breaking down certain coaches:

They also do videos on a lot of other football stuff (team tactics, stats, history etc).

Jontro likes this.
  18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Jupp should get Basti back for the second half of the season.

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

so what's going on brehs? you got your old coach back, who won you a treble. but i thought you wanted this tuchel fella. either way, yall seem to be excite! what's going on?

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I think bringing Heynckes back is the best short-term choice, as he knows the players and front office, plus he has been coaching a lot of these guys already and can implement the right system to play up to their strengths.

We still have a ton of time to think about the future and who to bring in next season, so it seems smarter to not rush in someone like Tuchel now, who may need time to adapt and possibly wouldn't be able to save this current season.
    I'd still love Tuchel as Bayern coach and think he's still in the running for 2018. Him being notorious for changing the whole structure of a club is probably the main reason he didn't get hired this time, as changing things mid-season can complicate things and frustrate some of the older guys (looking at you, Ribery).

AroundTheWorld and Jontro like this.