1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017-18] Evaluate Paul George

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocket River, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I will honestly say I have not watch enough of him this year.
    When I did see him .. . . I was not impressed.

I know his history in Indiana but everything tells me he is at best a #2 on a team
    I cannot see him being anyone's #1

Alot of people like him . . . . I am just not sure . .. . . Seems like a better defensive but less offensive Tracy McGrady
    (tracy was a good defender )

Rocket River

2. xaos

xaos Member

My best short answer is he would be an amazing #2 guy where the #1 guy is clutch and a leader (CP3).

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Pretty much agree with everything you said here, he did win by himself some games for OKC this year though, sometimes he was bad yeah, but that happens to almost every player outside of Lebron, and playing in OKC wasn't probably that easy tbf...he's just not a player which makes others around him better on offense, but that's not even his role, it's just that between him, Westbrook, Melo, Roberson/Brewer well, you won't see good basketball. He does play good defense in every game though, that's his way to make his teammates better i guess.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

HE kind of reminds me of a suped up Ariza
    without the Hardcore mentality

Rocket River

kevcai likes this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Factoring the post-Westbrook bounce?:

Paul George, ladies and gentleman, your 2019 KIA NBA MVP!

francis 4 prez likes this.
  6. kevcai

kevcai Member

He is absolutely one of the most talented players in the NBA but a notch below the elite elite [LeBron, Durant, Harden, Kawhi, Steph, AD]. His skill-set fits in perfectly with our system. As others have said -- imagine a much better version of Ariza, but even that is selling PG short. He is an exceptional defender (got some DPOY love early this year) that can switch every pick and might be even more devastating on that end with a lesser offensive burden.

Offensively, he shot 40%+ from 3 point range on almost 8 attempts/game and can get hot/catch fire at any time. So he's a better defender and a better 3 point shooter than Ariza, but the biggest difference is that he's dynamic off the bounce and can create for himself or a teammate. His smooth handle and decent vision would be devastating as a 3rd threat in our offense. If he does end up in our system, he would probably be our second leading scorer but our third initiator.

LeBron is the best player in the world but I can't imagine a better fit on our current team than Paul George.

YOLO and Louka like this.
  7. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Not sure why people think Leonard is much better than Paul George.

I feel like theyre both similar and BIG notch below LeBron and Durant

8. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Paul George would not be the 3rd option on the Rockets.

CP3 would be

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Los Angeles Lakers.

Los Angeles Lakers?

Los Angeles Lakers!

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

I don't think so. pg13 would be the 3rd as far who has the ball in their hands on offense. if you're basing it solely on shot attempts hell probably have more than cp3 but that's probably not by much. And that's bc we should be maximizing what pg13 does well and thats score. But as far as on the offensive end harden and cp3 will have the ball in their hands the most and everything will go through them

#10 YOLO, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    kevcai likes this.
  11. kevcai

kevcai Member

He would be our 3rd option in that Harden and CP3 would initiate the offense more frequently but as I said, he would probably be our second leading scorer. Either way, we're splitting hairs here.

12. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Leonard is a tier above. He is undoubtedly the best perimeter defender in the league and is a much more consistent offensive player. George's best offensive game is better than Kawhi's best, but that's about it.

13. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

George is slower than he was pre-USA team injury, especially on defense, but he's still a top-notch player and would be a great #2 option on any team. The interesting thing will be to watch whether he can continue to shoot anywhere close to 40% from three since he's never been close to that's his entire career and he did it while shooting a lot more threes than he ever did in Indiana. Contract year performance, maybe?

Honestly, he fit about as well as anyone could (not named KD) next to Westbrook and would do the same next to any big star. He'd be a perfect fit in Houston.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

he shot 39% for indy the year before okc and 37% before that and thats with high volume. hes certainly capable in that range. i don't think its a huge outlier at all. after his injury, he focused alot on his outside shooting

15. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

george is certainly very good, and it's hard to know what kawhi would look like out of the popovich bubble where everyone seems to look great, but kawhi can post up almost anyone 1-on-1, seems to be one of the few people efficient enough to take mid-range shots, is a great spot up 3 point shooter, and can drive. george seems a little more fluid on offense and if he really gets going can drop a 40 point game with 8 3's, but kawhi just seems like an efficiency machine in a way george is not and he can get 25+ more consistently than george. maybe he will fall off after the let down my team by not playing to make sure i get my max contract saga injury, but last year he was an offensive level above george. neither is exceptional at creating. and of course kawhi is also better at defense even though george is good. i think george would fit in perfectly with the rockets.

#15 francis 4 prez, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

paul george shooting numbers in the final elimination games of the past 2 playoffs:

2017 -- 5 of 21
    2018 -- 2 of 16

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

we've seen comparable numbers from hou's own. it happens for whatever reason

18. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Leonard would be the ideal fit over LeBron or George. But we are splitting hairs here. We would do anything to get any one of those three. Heck I think even a Will Barton would get us over the hump against GSW so long as CP3 can stay healthy.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

And I stand by this assessment.
    Hell he maybe a #3

Rocket River

20. ballgame

ballgame Member

Spot on