1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017-18 Cleveland Cavaliers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by celebrevida, Jan 20, 2018.

1. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

Great victory by Cavaliers over Thunder. Despite Thunder Big4 all scoring 20+, Cavaliers showed great team effort especially from the new guys.

They are back. They have turned the corner.

Altman should be in contention for top GM.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is absolutely Morey's year to win Executive of the Year or GM of the year (can't remember which one is the official title.)

roslolian likes this.
  3. HTM

HTM Member

Who is going to generate the offense other than Lebron?

Can't see them winning a title asking Lebron to handle the rock/generate the offense almost exclusively.

4. Lovemachine2000

Clarkson is actually a pretty solid guard in the Eastern Conference, and Hill and Hood are good rotational guys. And you are really building up a straw man in your argument, NO ONE here sees the Cavs winning the champion this year. They have a good chance winning out the East with the deadline moves, but they are not even close to the Rockets or the Warriors.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Altman did great but Morey should be GM of the year lets be real lol.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

7. IndoRockets

IndoRockets Member

Lets say Morey did his homework before the season starts and has the better team record. He didn't need to alter his team in trade deadline and managed to get good acquisitions on the buyout market. Having $20million stuck on Ryno did not stop Morey from assembling a title contending team. Comparing this to Altman who has to correct his own mistakes in the middle of the season (although it is impressive they manage to turn the whole team on trade deadline).

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

Altman doesn’t get bonus points for fixing a Garbage squad he built.

9. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

There's a distinct possibility LeBron stays in Cleveland now.

Not that this team is going anywhere in the playoffs, but the Cavs went from negative to positive on their roster sheet.

Hill, Clarkson, Nance, and Hood are all great pieces to swing around and trade again in the offseason for real stars when their value will be at an all-time high having played with LeBron. Cavs can also package Love, Thompson, and the Nets pick along with the above mentioned players if LeBron commits to staying.

10. HTM

HTM Member

Those guys maybe fine guards but I wasn’t under the impression they were guys who create much offense for others.... im just legit curious who is going to create offense other than Lebron I don’t see another real play maker on the rostee

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

clarkson doesn't need guys to get him shots. Hill is a battle tested solid defensive veteran pg. they dont really need someone else thats known as a real playmaker. they get shots by playing next to Lebron himself and ball movement. The guys they picked up are young and versatile enough not to be stand still players. clevelands big problem was the atrocious defense when they had IT and the egos many of those guys carried. they may not have picked up stars so to speak but players that compliment the team and lebron. And when you're in the east, thats really all you need when you have Lebron

Lovemachine2000 likes this.
  12. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Your ducking his point, although your points are accurate. Sure hill is a good defensive pg and they got hunger and more athletic but to say they don’t need another playmaker is ridiculous.

They absolutely do, it’s their biggest glaring weakness now. Sure clarkson can (inefficiently) create his own shot he can’t create for others.

They don’t have some elaborate offense like gsw, they are much more like the rockets in offensive style. Very much free lance.

We all knew last year that harden desperately needed another playmaker and look what acquiring another has done for he rockets this year.

Lebron is amazing but to think he can just do it all on his own needs to be re-evaluated.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

to come out the east? i dont think so. when you play against the likes of hou or GS, yeah i would say so

I didn't say that team is good enough to win a ship, bc its not

14. BigMaloe

Tbh i think Toronto is coming out of the east. I don’t feel Cleveland got better than Toronto.

They get no love and have been quietly great all season long. They are right up there with us and gsw. They are top 5 in both defense rating and offense rating (last I checked). Have a great point differential. Everything screams they are a great team with great depth.

Lebron is amazing. No doubt. But without additional playmaking they will lose. Lebron can’t go average 50pts and 10ast a game during the playoffs and be successful. He will need help, and more than spot up shooting and athleticism.

Lack of playmaking will catch up to them.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

i've been off the toronto hype. ive seen this year after year with them. they win a bunch of reg season games, go into the playoffs as if they're "overlooked". this year is no different but thats just me. you say lack of playmaking will catch up to them. but the lack of a real star to turn it into another gear always catches up to toronto. Again, I still expect yet another underwhelming playoffs for toronto.

#255 YOLO, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  16. BigO

BigO Member

I am fan of Raptors big time, but they have got no one to check Lebron, it was always that they just couldint stop him from scoring, not so sure they addressed that issue.

17. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Koby Altman (Cleveland GM) will be the executive of the year just because of all the moves the team made in trade deadline.

Basically they turned a dead weight team into an exciting team to watch.
    See you in the finals, Lebron.

18. BigMaloe

Yeah but this isn’t the same team that wins lots of regular season games. They are winning Lots and doing so dominantly.

I mean everyone says they have seen cp3 and harden win lots of regular season games only to flame out. But things are obviously different this year. They are a very balanced team with a very good team defense. Lowry and demar aren’t superstars but they are both very good stars.
    Who has someone to stop lebron? Nobody...

Many teams have A few guys to throw at him but ultimately you can’t stop him. Also, Anunoby is very good defensively and the guy they will likely use.

But you can slow him down and lock down everyone else. Something Toronto is good at doing.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

looks the same to me. they didnt make any big changes. and the core is still the exact same

20. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

sorry I'm not on the Cavs train yet; they only played a couple games since the trade deadline and Lebron is actually playing with effort now. He was sulking before and wasn't putting in the same effort. Cavs might still keep it up but I don't want to say they're definitely going to the Eastern finals just yet. There's always usually a boost when teams make big trades like that.