1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Mar 9, 2016.

1. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I think the issue is that the death of the two year contract has actually slowed down phone purchases. So companies have to incentivize buying phones. Back in the day, you more or less had to buy a new phone every two years or you'd be paying subsidies for a phone you didn't buy. Nowadays, you need to throw gifts at people to get them to upgrade or push phone leases that offer yearly upgrades.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I agree with your point, which is a good thing for consumers. Also, new phones are usually incremental and don't offer compelling reasons to upgrade vs. the prior year's model.

I'm happy with my Note 3, didn't even consider upgrading to the Note 4, passed on the Note 5 and will probably get the Note 6.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The G7 Edge with the 5.5 inch screen looks really nice -- how does a cover work on it though with covering the edge?

4. Takeoff

Takeoff Member

I'm wondering if I should get the Nexus 6p right now or wait a month or two more to see if the prices get a significant slash

5. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

Ditto, I'm very happy with my Note 3. Hell, if the note 6 doesn't have all the features of the s7 I may just skip this generation too. I'm in no rush to upgrade.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I have the iphone 5s. and i'm not sure i will even be buying the newest iphone in 6 months. besides the battery kind of sucking a big one the phone works perfectly fine.

7. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

dont charge your phone overnight or leave it charging for too long. That ends up killing your battery. I have the same phone and I can't remember the last time I left my phone charging overnight or for a couple hours. Battery has a decent hold still.

8. geeimsobored

Well if you do need to upgrade, Apple released the Apple SE which is to me as a fantastic midrange offering. You get all of the 6s specs minus 3d touch with a 4 inch screen for $400. Frankly, that's a damn good deal for a phone with flagship specs including the 6s camera.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I got nearly every one of the latest iterations of the Galaxy every single release since the S1, including random minor upgrades like the S2 Skyrocket. That all stopped with the Note 3. I held onto it until now (S7). Great phone. If I had to go back I wouldn't be that upset. But it is slow compared to the S7.

10. what

what Member

wanna get rid of blaotware without rooting your phone on the galaxy s7: package disabler pro.

Pretty much all I needed to clean my phone. I actually like touchwiz more than straight up stock android so this app was fine for me. I don't need to root my phone because I am not trying to do crazy things with it.

11. what

what Member

Android tips:

So, I spent about half a day on this and I thought I would share it. Weather Apps. I was looking for a good looking weather app to combine with my theme, but also provide me with the best accuracy and latest information.

the Accuweather app for android is the best, and provides minute to minute updates on your phone, about weather conditions, especially rain.

Problem was, that accuweather's which LOOKED terrible. Enter: HD Widgets.

Basically hd widgets is a skinnable widget that allows you to combine accuweather accuracy with an attractive skin. It also has a linkable area where if you click it it will take you into the accuweather app.

NICE!

12. what

what Member

Another tip: Have you heard about Opera Max for android? Basically this app allows you to compress file streaming sizes, so that you can watch more video on your device. It helps people with limited data plans.

13. geeimsobored

HTC 10 anyone? Im not in the market for a phone but it seems like HTC finally got their act together. The phone looks good and the camera apparently is flagship worthy. Their competition is much higher this time in comparison to the earlier days of the M7/M8 but its still nice to see.

Plus word on the street is that the bootloader is unlocked for those that want to flash custom ROMs.

14. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I have the s6 Edge + and I use the Slim Armor air cushioned case made by spigen.

Link.

I can see all scrolls, alerts, texts, etc on the edge side without any problems as this case doesn't block the areas where they scroll. I've dropped this huge phone numerous times and it just bounces and lands flat. I've had it for a year and not one crack. It's also super thin unlike an otterbox and light weight. Big fan of the Kickstand for watching Netflix at work while not even working.

Image from Amazon-

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I switched from a Galaxy Note 3 to a S6 Edge last year and I've hated it ever since. I want to get another Note, but I also don't want to wait until they release it in September or whatever. Oy.

#75 seclusion, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The Edge + screen is just perfection. Doesn't hurt that the metallic case also makes it look much better than the previous plastic iterations.

17. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

yeah... sammy's screens are second to none in vibrancy and clarity. it's no surprise that apple has signed to a deal for 100 mil sammy oled panels for 2017. the thing is... there's sammy panels and there's sammy panels on sammy devices. definitely not the same.

edit: to add to that...

if not a sammy panel on a sammy device, i prefer super lcd due to panels being uneven with yellow and pink (sometimes only partially) with amoled. would gladly give up deep darks for even, clear robust whites.

#77 OmegaSupreme, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I may be in the market for a cheap smartphone (under $350) off contract. My Oneplus One only works on speaker.

I haven't been paying attention to what's out there. I want the best specs for price.

What's coming up?

19. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Note 4

20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Interesting suggestion that I wouldn't have thought of.

Specs wise, can it keep up for two or three more years? Or am I sacrificing from that? I'll have to investigate.

I wouldn't mind the Huawei Honor 5x, but I don't think I'd like the UI, and I don't know if I'd want to root it. Having only 2GB of Ram worries me, also, but the expandable storage is nice. Wish every phone would still have it.