1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Returned my Galaxy Note 7 (finally) a few days ago and got an LG V20. The sound/speaker quality upgrade alone was worth it, but there are aspects of the Note 7 I will miss. That was one sweet phone, although I think I'd probably rather not have the "edge" on it now that I used it. The functionality is nice, but there was just something odd about using it. Then again, I didn't have it too long, so I may have gotten used to it eventually. The best part about is I got to keep the free gift from Samsung -- a 256 GB micro-SD card. Sweet. And I just sent off for the free gift from LG... Bang & Olufsun earphones. Maybe I'll be forced to return the LG and get to keep the headphones, too. I'll be swimming in accessories. lol.

ramotadab likes this.
  2. distence

distence Contributing Member

Planning to buy a S7 from Craigslist. Once I verify the IMEI is clean can the seller still call the phone in stolen after I have used it for a week or so? Anything else I can do to protect myself?

3. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Hey im trying to buy my parents new phones, sticking with android phones. I been looking on amazon for androids around 150$ a pop, no more than 200$. What would you guys recommend in that range? Is LG the safest route?

4. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Which carrier are they on?

5. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Tmobile as of now

6. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Really is a crap shoot just like buying anything else on Craigslist. I'd purchase at your own risk, it'd have to be a hell of a deal to buy it off CL. They have them unlocked at pretty good prices on eBay, sold by reputable sellers. Swappa is another good site/service to buy used devices and they are guarantee

The Moto G4 play off Amazon for $99 is an outstanding value, tons of good reviews about it.

Got my LeEco Pro 3 today, love it so far. Didn't bother trying their "Le-whatever" services. I installed Pixel Launcher on there, and haven't looked back. Display is good, better than I thought it was going to be since I'm coming from a 6P, the notification/recent apps menu is going to take a bit to get used to but nothing annoying. Pictures are decent for the ones I took outside my house. Do like I don't have to settle back with the speaker since it does have front facing speakers, 1/2 of it at least, the other half on the bottom next to charger. Definitely thin as hell with this mega 4000mah battery that is in there.

[​IMG]

#466 Dave2000, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    ramotadab likes this.
  7. ramotadab

ramotadab Member

Did you side load Pixel Launcher?

8. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I would presume so. The Pixel loader is still locked to the pixel phone currently. From what I've seen and heard, sideloading it works just fine but Google Now (or whatever they changed the name to) doesn't work properly.

9. Dave2000

that is correct, that's the only downside, swiping to the to the left from the home screen doesn't bring up Google Now, I've adjusted to where I just open the Google Now Icon to load it when I was using the launcher on my 6P. I would use the Google Now launcher from the Play Store, but love the App Drawer without the App Drawer button.

10. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Go to Best Buy
    Buy two Samsung Galaxy Primes ($120 each)

Perfect for your parents

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I've been eyeing the V20 for the quad-DAC. Can you give me more impressions on it and how it compared with the Note7?

I think between that and the Pixel, unless there's some awesome feature that negates a $100-200 or so audio amp, I'd choose the V20 and its QHD screen + sd card expansion.

12. ramotadab

ramotadab Member

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

#473 DonnyMost, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    cdain3 and BiGGieStuFF like this.
  14. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

15. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

dang, man. you got it worse than me. at least i'm not hooking up my fam. :D

16. ramotadab

ramotadab Member

Are you having an issue with push notifications from Web based chat services such as WhatsApp, GroupMe, and Telgram showing up on your home screen? I have to always go into the actual app to see my new messages. I am not sure whats going on. Also have you noticed when you press the button on the left to see all the apps running and then you click the button to dismiss or clear all the apps the ones with locks on them do not go away. I have not figured out why some apps have locks on them and some do not. I thought I could get it figured out in the Notification Management settings but that did not fix it. Also another thing that is bothering me is that when you select to clear all apps the app you are currently in does not get cleared it remains running. You have to manually clear that one.

17. Dave2000

Had the same issue, found the fix thorough Slickdeals

Works fine afterwards

As far as what apps you can lock from Automatically Closing

Phone Manager > Power Saving Management > App Protection

select the ones you don't want closed automatically when you hit the clear memory option. I personally have Pandora, Android Wear, Wallpaper App I use, Pixel Laucher (home launcher I'm using)

ramotadab likes this.
  18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I bought the G4 the G4 Play and also have a Pixel and iPhone 7 Plus.

Unfair comparison but the Pixel is the loser in value for money in the group. And although I love a 5 inch phone, the 5.5 G4 (not the Play) on amazon for 149 or motomaker for 199 are the best value.

People who want an iPhone will get an iPhone but for the android buyer the budget motorola and LeEco (from what I have seen, don't have one) are very nice android phones. I think they are the reason Google is no longer interested in making sub 400 dollar phones.

Dave2000 and ramotadab like this.
  19. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

On a separate but still somewhat related note. With Trump winning, I expect Sprint and TMobile to merge. No more FCC and DOJ to block that merger anymore.

20. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Nope. As far as I can tell it's just as if you bought it from the Google Store. I put my T-Mobile SIM in and booted it up. It didn't recognize the network off the bat, so I ran through the setup on WiFi. Once done, I rebooted the device, and the network was picked up. No Verizon apps/bloatware, etc.

myco likes this.