1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Mar 9, 2016.

1. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

S7 worth the upgrade from the S5? I have AT&T so I'm going to get that Samsung VR for free with it.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

There is not much you can do about it other than to try and sell your account to someone else ... but not many people are interested in contract accounts, especially new ones like yours.

When VZW came out with this contract plan, I was not impressed. I quickly swapped over to the non-contract/buy your phone plan. I have been pretty happy with VZW's straight forward phone financing and plans. The only time they have disappointed me was today when they did not place the order right and shipped the phone to my billing address ... which was fine, it gave me an excuse to take the day off.

Just be warned, Fi uses Sprint and Tmobile ... if they gave you issues in the past, you will be back in the same boat.

1 person likes this.
  3. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

android N is dope. that is all.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm having microphone issues with my Oneplus One. Its been about a week or so.

Two things have happened. The first one sounds like a joke: had an ostrich steal my phone out of my wife's hand while at the Safari in New Braunsfels or wherever it is. It proceeded to drop it from however high it was. 5.5 feet maybe? Luckily the phone survived without a scratch.

Also, I updated it. I'm running a custom marshmallow ROM and updated it via OTA. I may try reverting back to the previous version and seeing if that fixes it.

If not, its time for the good ole compressed air. Hopefully one of the two work.

5. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

It's a good phone, don't get me wrong. I'm coming from the s6 edge which was leaps and bounds better than the s4 which I had before that. A one-model-number upgrade is unusual for me, but the water resistance and the preorder package convinced me to jump.

There's a learning curve trying to get the heat under control, but after figuring out how to disable the background apps, it's growing on me. Samsung pay is always running in the background and can't be disabled like others apps can, but download "package disabler" from the play store and you can shut it down. That brought down the temperature dramatically and I ram usage dropped from 70% to 50%. That's crazy bloatware!

The low light camera is very good, but I find that the zoom is not as good. The video quality on the s6 was amazing. For some reason, the s7 video is not a jaw dropper like the s6, but still better than anything else I've seen aside from the s6

In a nutshell, its a solid buy, but if the s6 had been water resistant, I would have stayed with the s6.

6. Falcons Talon

Definitely!!!!

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I promised myself to never own a carrier locked device again yet the S7 edge is still really compelling. Is it possible to find a carrier unlocked snapdragon 820 varient of the edge because if so, that would mean AOSP development but if the 820 varient is only available carrier locked, then there will be no AOSP development because of locked bootloaders.

Such a shame that such beautiful hardware is gimped by bloated software. When I bought an AT&T Note 5, I almost had a brain aneurysm scrolling through an endless list of ugly looking AT&T bloat icons along with the unessesary bloat that comes with touchwiz such as Svoice. Such a shame. I might stick with my 6P if the S7 edge is the same story. Unfortunately it seems to be the case. XDA has an article showing the same old touchwiz frame rate drops in animations in the S7 that have been prevelant in previous generation touchwiz devices. Samsung still has lag on their flagship devices even to this day. Sad. Absolutely perfect hardware gimped by ****ty hardware.

#27 fchowd0311, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  8. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

TMobile has historically sold phones with unlocked bootloaders. The problem with the S6 was the Exynos processor made developing ROMs a bit more challenging but TMobile still sold it with an unlocked bootloader.

I'd hope they continue that trend with the S7 but I havent read anything one way or the other on the Tmobile variant.

9. geeimsobored

The zoom is seemingly worse because the S7 is sporting a 12 megapixel sensor instead of the 16 megapixel sensor in the S6. The reason for this is that Samsung enlarged the individual pixels for better low light performance.

You should notice much better auto focus in low light and better image quality overall. They traded megapixels for low light images (which in my opinion is worth it)

10. Falcons Talon

Yes, I read about the trade off. Just translating what they did to what I see. Still a great camera.

11. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

I don't know since the specs for the Note 6 have not been released yet but I will say screen size will be one of the differences for sure. I find myself not taking out my laptop or tablet because the Note will suffice for a lot of my web browsing and email tasks. Unlike some, the size of the phone doesn't bother me because I strictly use bluetooth when talking on the phone and that's the only situation where it would be a nuisance. The rest of the time the large size screen makes the phone more convenient.

As far as Note 6 specs I am hoping it has the same capabilities as the S7 (ie waterproof) as well as some additional functionality with the stylus.

12. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

when is the iphone 7 coming? fall?

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Tomorrow.

14. geeimsobored

If past history is a guide, probably sometime in September.

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Tried reverting back to the previous update of my ROM, and no go. Tried using compressed air to blow debris out of the mic. Nothing. Not sure what to do.

May try a different ROM. Any suggestions of what I can do?

16. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

All my apps had multi window support. Rooted phone of course.

17. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Sell it. Purchase a phone from manufacturer with better QC

18. Falcons Talon

Probably not a solution you're looking for, but when my old G2 mic crapped out, I just got a Bluetooth headset to make calls.

19. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

20. geeimsobored

Fantastic phone and in my opinion a much better deal than any of the new flagships that came out. I dont know why anyone would pay close to $700 for some of these new phones when you can get a Nexus 6P for substantially less. I'm still rocking a Nexus 6 and have no plans to upgrade for a while.