1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Mar 9, 2016.

1. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

For all discussions on the world's favorite gadget. THE SMART PHONE!

Current hot phones

Samsung S7/S7 edge. Improves on previous generation with microSD and water resistance with better low light performance in the camera

LG G5 - modular design in which I feels missed the boat by not making it hot swappable. That would have put it over the top. Quick changing of accessories without having to turn off and reboot.

Google Nexus still kicking ass with the 6p and the quick monthly security updates. 5x on sale for 199/249 16/32gb from Google Fi with one month of service.

Apple getting ready to possibly release a smaller version of the iphone called the iphone SE.

2. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

They need to make an in between size of iPhone.

3. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Personally I think they just need to make the iphone 6/6s a little bigger next time around (maybe a 5 or 5.1 inch phone). At this point, they should be able to figure out how to shrink the top and bottom besels even if they have to make the phone a little thicker.

I think Apple's overall limited offerings in its portfolio are actually a strength. Samsung finally figured out that selling too many variants of the same phone is actually a problem.

4. BiGGieStuFF

Android N preview out today??? I didn't see that coming

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/9/11185872/android-n-developer-preview-features-report

The first preview build of Android N will be released to the public today with new features including a native split-screen mode, according to a report from 9to5Google. Citing an article from Ars Technica that was pulled after publication, 9to5Google says that the preview version of Android N includes a redesigned notification panel (with notifications that span the full width of the screen, and an edit button for quick changes), and improvements to the operating system's Doze feature, which will reportedly save battery whenever the screen turns off.

THERE'S ALSO A 'PICTURE IN PICTURE' MODE REPORTEDLY COMING

The biggest addition though, seems to be a new split-screen mode for multitasking. This reportedly works on both phones and tablets, and, like other features included in the preview, will be given to developers to test before it's released to the public later this year. 9to5Google says that Ars Technica also reported the existence of a new "picture in picture" mode which sounds similar to that in iOS 9, letting users shrink windows to a corner of their screen while browsing other apps.

The original Ars story also reportedly said that the preview will be available for the Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6, Pixel C, Nexus 9, Nexus Player, and the General Mobile 4G. Google is also said to be launching a new "Android Beta Program." All of this information is extremely provisional at the moment, but if the Ars Technica report is true, we can expect to hear more about Android N — and its new features — some time soon.

SOURCE9TO5GOOGLE

5. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

yessir! one of the benefits of owning a nexus device.

link to download page:

http://developer.android.com/preview/download.html#device-preview

available to nexus 6 and newer devices.

#5 OmegaSupreme, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  6. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Still getting accustomed to the S7.

7. geeimsobored

8. BiGGieStuFF

9. BiGGieStuFF

10. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Aren't those features already available on Samsung phones?

11. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Wow this is a ridiculous deal by Tmobile on the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news/gs7-launch.htm

You can get a 2nd S7 ($670) or S7 Edge ($780) for free after mail in rebate (prepaid debit card) if you open up at least one new line at tmobile and buy a S7/S7Edge with EIP.

What is not clear is what happens if you want to cancel tmobile service after you receive your rebate. You definitely have to pay off one of the device in full, but it's not clear if you're in the clear for the 2nd one.

And until 3/18, you'll be able to still receive the 1 year netflix and the free Gear VR.

The deal starts 3/10 on Tmobile's website and 3/11 in-store.

12. BiGGieStuFF

Along with a lot of other features that folks don't want or need or actually slow down the device due to not being coded properly. I like a mostly clean slate instead of having every feature thrown at me.

13. geeimsobored

Kind off. Because Samsung built their own implementation of split screen viewing, most apps didn't build support for it. You have a very limited set of apps that can use the features and worst of all, that list of apps hasn't moved since the original launch of those two features.

Native Android support means you'll see many more apps support features like split screen mode or Picture in picture (since this won't be just for Samsung devices anymore).

14. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

so with this thread you're saying I shouldn't get a iPhone?

15. geeimsobored

Wait for the iphone 7 if you really want one. The 6s doesn't compete with this new crop of flagships. But I'm confident Apple will do a solid job with the iPhone 7. Supposedly they're switching to AMOLED screens and I imagine they'll do something big like the dual lens setup like the LG G5.

16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

How are you liking it? I received mine from VZW today. I set the S6 edge and S7 edge side by side and was rather disgusted to see the only difference was the screen size. I really havent touched it

I am disappointed Samsung is playing the incremental upgrade game. I only did it for the S2 Gear and VZW buying my phone back as a decent price.

17. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I F&$^#^KING HATE VERIZON

Thought my ETF by now would be down to 150- 200 after getting a new phone and contract last year. Nope. Still over $300. Got this explanation from them
    That the ETF doesn't go down at all in the first 7 months then it goes down $10 a month from months 7-17 and then 20 a month until month 22, then 60 for month 23 and the final 80 for month 24.
    Ridiculous bullsh!t.

Really wanting to get that Nexus 5x and sign up with Fi.
    Any CF brethren have solid advice on how I might be able to get out of my verizon contract which has a year and a few months left on it?

Thx in advance.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Leaning toward the S7 Edge -- big screen, water proof, big battery... would rather have a none edge with a 5.5 screen but no luck. Note is still an option though I guess.

19. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

I'm waiting for the note 6 to come out. My note 3 is on year three and is still going strong. The only functionality that I'm missing from this phone is android pay which hasn't caught on yet anyway. I think it'll be worth waiting a few more months.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Besides the stylus, what's the advantage of the future Note 6 vs. the S7 Edge?

I also have a Note 3 that is going strong.